Cruising to Antarctica and South America with many photos

scubacruiserx2

There was a ship up ahead on the rocks. It is the Santa Leonor, the former USS Riverside. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Riverside_(APA-102)

IMG_9778_zpsimgvriv6.jpg

IMG_7662_zps3a0icltr.jpg

IMG_9789%201_zpsrnfqups9.jpg

IMG_9785_zpsxeraczq3.jpg

It was guarded on the South by a lighthouse

IMG_9794_zpsvs1q7zrv.jpg

And as we were having  Wienersnitchel for dinner

DSC04132_zpszhx0ff5h.jpg

a snowbow appeared on our balcony .

DSC04139_zpsl9buj0ao.jpg

The video clip :

• Like 3

Next stop : Punta Arenas

On our first visit here we tried to see the Penguins at Magdalena Island . Our tour was cancelled after boarding the boat and switched to Otway  which no longer operates tours . Our last visit we went to Torres del Paine . This time we booked Magdalena Island again with Solo Expediciones .

https://www.soloexpediciones.com/penguins-magdalena-marta-island

Good morning Punta Arenas 

IMG_7720_zpsuoo6qykl.jpg

The tugging has begun

DSC04157_zpstphub0zq.jpg

And the rainbow followed us also so maybe this would be our lucky day .

DSC04154%202_zpshanioi1r.jpg

Video :

We prefer smaller group tours and we hopped that SE would provide it for us . We booked a midday tour hoping that it would be less crowded . We you exit the ship you have to walk through the blue container for a fruit/bag inspection .

IMG_7734_zpssx0uwel5.jpg

You use to walk down the pier to the Downtown area but we were now at a different pier about 3 miles from the SE office . The end of the pier begins the shipping area , but you can meet cabs there .

IMG_7733_zpswos6pzk3.jpg

• Like 1

When we got to the small SE office it was crowded and chaotic . We had reservations but they demanded payment in person - no prepay . This make long lines for payment .We were told to wait but a number of people outside headed for a bus . By the time we got there it was full . We were told to walk around the corner to a smaller bus which filled quickly leaving us the last two seats in the rear . We waited another 30 minutes for two young ladies who decided to go get some chips and drinks . The driver pulled down a couple of folding seats next to him and we were off . We headed back past the Zaandam until we reached the smaller boats . We had to stand in another line to get life vests and they had ran out of Large and Extra Large . We had to wear these over our winter jackets with the 2 straps between our legs . The effect was like wearing a straight jacket that choked you and gave you a wedgie . We got the last 2 seats which was a half on and a half in the aisle . We began our bouncing ride toward the island .

DSC04193_zpskssg3qpu.jpg

It became a little less crowded when some people stood up and went outside for some cooler and fresh air .

IMG_7754_zpspqu3aafh.jpg

We moved forward were some chair hogs left their bags marking their turf . The ride was uneventful until about 5 minutes before our arrival . This ladies friend spilled her lunch at our feet .

IMG_9814_zpsmagyyyp2.jpg

Perhaps the smell attracted the penguins because they sure got close to them . Anyhow , we had arrived !

IMG_7756%201_zpsj35nzjak.jpg

IMG_7809_zpsa6q8ebuj.jpg

We felt like we were on a Easter egg hunt .

IMG_9906_zps2iq8ikvf.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_9981_zps4difycuy.jpg

IMG_7801_zpsqapln2rr.jpg

IMG_9848_zpsyqfgwklf.jpg

IMG_7779_zpslogjybny.jpg

These are Magellanic Penguins and they live under bushes or in a burrow .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magellanic_penguin

Some people also call them J****** penguins after the braying sound they make 

IMG_9938_zps0ke3eu5g.jpg

Some penguins curiously twist their necks.

IMG_9868.thumb.JPG.ac6e70ce0768b7aa8735108f4de1117b.JPG

You can see it in this video clip  and hear some of the braying in the background .

• Like 2

IMG_7789_zps1nibzh8u.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsbvtrtbyo.jpg

In about an hour's time we were , in diving parlance , "herded back to the cattle boats"  for our next adventure - the trip to Marta Island .

IMG_7815_zpssinhphyh.jpg

The sea was a bit bumpy thus keeping us from getting too close to the island . Most of the people climbed on the top of the bouncing boat and sat down before falling down . My knees were feeling their age .

DSC06488_zpsn4mofi97.jpg

IMG_0037_zpscm2o7yxl.jpg

The telephoto pulled a decent close up of the big guys , but we hoped for a better viewing in Ushuaia .

IMG_0031_zpsvwhesiei.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I have been restraining from commenting too much lest you think I am a stalker. But those penguins are adorable.  And I think I twist my neck like that in Pilates class.

We don't think that you are a stalker and we do love seeing the penguins especially the chicks . Wow that must be some exercise class !

• Haha 1

That yellow boat reminds me of our visit to the island in the fall of 2017, it was nicknamed the "yellow submarine"as it appeared to spend most of the trip to the island burying it's bow under the waves.  Happy memories, and we'll be doing it again this fall on the Zaandam re-positioning cruise. 

10 hours ago, old mike said:

That yellow boat reminds me of our visit to the island in the fall of 2017, it was nicknamed the "yellow submarine"as it appeared to spend most of the trip to the island burying it's bow under the waves.  Happy memories, and we'll be doing it again this fall on the Zaandam re-positioning cruise. 

Did they play the Beatles song ? We do love our Fall cruises also .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Oh, I love those penguins.

But tell me, did it stink? 

Your pictures are great, wish I was there.  Thanks.

They did stink a little , but not as bad as we thought . Or maybe we just went nose-blind . We like photos to jog the memory and to share with others .

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Great report and excellent pictures.

The penguins are adorable -- the baby ones I want to cuddle.  Great video.

Thank you , we appreciate that . Some of the chicks looked like little stuffed animals . We didn't see any King chicks but the Gentoo had some cute ones .

IMG_5299_zpsdwf4tz48.jpg

• Like 2

We asked the bus driver if he could drop us off at the ship instead of going downtown and he dropped us at the port's gate . I saw a rabbit at the center of this photo .

IMG_0039_zpsi0r9sr9g.jpg

Almost there

IMG_7820_zpsvqnwwk2i.jpg

We didn't have lunch on this trip and so we decided to take the plunge at the Dive In Grill . We like the fries and the sauce .

DSC04198_zpsvigm7hcd.jpg

Of our 3 closeup encounters with penguins we ranked this one # 3 . With a Port side balcony were really looking forward to Glacier Alley and Ushuaia in the morning .

• Like 1

We were up early for our trip through Glacier Alley on Christmas Day

DSC04225_zpsiqppdqxj.jpg

Breakfast was here and we were ready to go 

DSC04236_zpsuwaeuw5m.jpg

DSC04244_zpsbhnzraxj.jpg

Unfortunately , the weather was not cooperating .

DSC04227_zpswuvlqhat.jpg

A video clip :

This is what one our favorite glaciers , the Romanche , looked like .

IMG_0088_zps1cbne53x.jpg

And this is what it looked like in 2013 .

IMG_1868-001_zpsad73fbdd.jpg

Video clip 2013 :

• Like 2