150 Central park or Chops grille?

COCKYMARK

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

How’s my ships still have Giovanni’s?  It would be fun to try it.  Do you think it’s on its way out and going to be totally replaced in the near future?

Oasis and Allure.  Oasis will most likely lose hers at her drydock this fall.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

How’s my ships still have Giovanni’s?  It would be fun to try it.  Do you think it’s on its way out and going to be totally replaced in the near future?

Giovanni's is still on most of the smaller ships too.

• Like 1

Based on our experience on Oasis last week, definitely Chops(although at $58.95pp Chops is no longer worth the price:classic_sad:). 150 CP just changed their entire menu, and there was nothing on the new menu that you wouldn't typically find on one of the nights in the MDR:classic_sad:. No way we were paying $50+pp for glorified MDR food.

I did both on Harmony two years ago and our dinner at 150 was better.  Nicer experience overall....service, food quality, ambience.  We did Wonderland too and did not like it.  Cool place with nice presentation but we didn't like the food at all.  I'm considering Chef's Table for our cruise on Harmony in April and would appreciate any comments on it.  Thanks!

We were on the Harmony B2B Jan. 13 & 20, 2019.  We were offered a 20% discount by Sami, one of the waiters at 150 Central Park.  We had a wonderful dinner.  The bread is soooo delicious, I had the scallops for an app, Tenderloin for main course and fried cheesecake for dessert.  Sami, our waiter was great!  I was told that they recently updated their menu.  This was the first time eating at 150, so I have nothing to compare it to.  It was all so good, I will eat at 150 again!

For us 150 without a doubt. Chops has become an OK steak house IMHO. Only ate at 150 once but can't wait until December when we will be on Symphony to eat there again. From the bread service with the salts for the butter right down to the dessert it was the best meal we have eaten on board any ship (and that include Chef's table)

My recommendation when it comes to Chops is to do it for lunch.

We went to 150 a couple of weeks ago on Harmony.  I thought the beet salad was really good.  I ordered the lobster thermidor and it was not good. It was a small lobster tail, just like the ones in the MDR, and the way it was cooked and put back in the shell, it was dry and tough.  The potato that was served with it had no taste at all.

My sister had the tenderloin and even though it was only for her, they did a great job on it.  The menu has changed from previous cruises and, to me, it's not one I will rush back to.  We had dinner at Jamie's as well and I loved the pasta with truffle sauce.

Chops is a favorite of ours as my sister and I are both steak and baked potato lovers and when I travel with my son and his family, they enjoy the same.  On Allure though, they love the steak in Giovanni's as well as the pasta there.

I can't get anyone to go to Wonderland, and from looking at some of the meals served, I think it's not one I feel I have to go to.  I think Wonderland is a bit too far out there for me.

We prefer Chops over 150. We prefer to eat outside at Chops, but honestly, I doubt we go there on our next cruise. It is not as good as it used to be and the service can be hit or miss. We think Royal has upped the prices, but not the quality of food. May as well eat in the MDR than pay the higher prices in the specialty restaurants. The only specialty restaurant we will eat in next time is Izumi. 

I am going to say in really depends on the SHIP, and who is doing the cooking and also on how the waiters serve and bring out the food.  We had a tough steak on Harmony from Chops and wonderful steak on Allure last in December.   To make things even more unclear, we were on  both Allure and Independence in Dec 2018.  In the dining room, they had the same menu.  Ordered same items and they were fabulous on Independence and lousy on Allure.  As I say depends on who is doing the cooking, whether food is pre cooked, kept under the heating lamps, etc. the large number of people on the Allure ordering same item.  On many occasions, I advised my friends who were with us on the Allure to try :this or that:  because we loved the item on Independence only to gag when presented with very same menu item on Allure.  So best to give each restaurant you want to try a try.   Except in our opinion Wonderland. That one we did not like and we got our money back as well. 

3 hours ago, Mango Tango said:

We were on the Harmony B2B Jan. 13 & 20, 2019.  We were offered a 20% discount by Sami, one of the waiters at 150 Central Park.  We had a wonderful dinner.  The bread is soooo delicious, I had the scallops for an app, Tenderloin for main course and fried cheesecake for dessert.  Sami, our waiter was great!  I was told that they recently updated their menu.  This was the first time eating at 150, so I have nothing to compare it to.  It was all so good, I will eat at 150 again!

And all of those choices are now gone from the menu :classic_sad: along with the tuna tartar, the black cod, and everything else that had any taste.