S2S on two different cruise lines

hotsauce126

We just did this in Oct. We left  Horizon and walked to NCL Getaway, which was docked right behind us. We carried our luggage off ourselves, which I'd recommend if you can. We did have to walk through a commercial building parking lot which was rough and rocky and dodge cabs and departing passengers but it was so worth it! 

Heather

• Like 1

The only downside is you have to pack back up between cruises.  Try to leave the first ship as late as possible so that checkin is close to being open for the second. 

The ship might offer a HOHO bus tour with airport dropoff.  These actually start at the Bayside Marketplace and luggage is stored there.  So you could take the tour and NOT go to the airport, just take a cab or Uber back out to the ships.  There is a free trolley that runs out there but it isn't designed to handle luggage.  And the stop at Bayside is just before going to the port, so you would have to go all the way around the loop to get there if taking it after the first cruise.

I will let you know.  I get on the Glory this Saturday, and when we get back, I will walk over to the Seaside, which should be the next terminal over.  I'm going to try to be one of the last off the Glory because my check in time for the Seaside isn't until noon.

12 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

What is a side to side cruise?

11 hours ago, BigCruze said:

I think they meant to say Back to Back (B2B). 

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

It's some mythical term invented on Cruise Critic.  It's basically a back to back just on 2 different ships.:classic_smile:

I dunno about mythical, but it is a nice clarification that a B2B is done on the same ship, while a S2S is done on two different ships (usually at the same port).  Any term that adds to the precision of a communication is fine by me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I dunno about mythical, but it is a nice clarification that a B2B is done on the same ship, while a S2S is done on two different ships (usually at the same port).  Any term that adds to the precision of a communication is fine by me.

That's cool. Whatever works.:classic_smile:

Do a search on Google for side to side cruises and the only hits will be links to cruise critic.

This is from an article on cruise critic.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2327

What are back-to-back cruises?

Back-to-back cruises are two cruises booked consecutively, whether on the same ship or on different ships. You'll want to let someone at the front desk know you're a back-to-back cruiser during the first part of your trip so arrangements can be made for you during the changeover day between the two sailings.

But at the end of the day whatever helps you differentiate between back to back cruises on the same or different ships, it's all good.👍

We have done this two times, loved it. In October we went from MSC Seaside to Carnival Glory and January we went from MSC Divina to Carnival Magic. Walked from one pier to the next both times - not pedestrian friendly but we were fine. As suggested try and disembark from first ship late (both times we left ship about 10:00) and after picking up our luggage and going through customs we walked to a picnic table where we took off old tags and put on the tags for our next cruise and continued to next ship and arrived there about 11ish. I do know MSC and Carnival are fairly close as they line up at the Miami Port. I am not sure where Virgin lines up but I expect you have investigated that already. As I said it has worked great for us amd we would do it again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, memoak said:

One thing I love about cruises is the unpacking once - would hate to pack and unpack a 2nd time

I generally agree, but I'd be fine with it if for some unfortunate reason I had issues with the first cruise.  Also in this case I'd be excited about trying Virgin compared to Carnival.  With as many people as complain about children on Carnival and Virgin being kid free I could see others not minding an extra round of packing for the chance to vacation after your vacation.  At least you don't have to drive or fly between trips.