Princess vs HA / Alaska

Negril60

We have sailed Princess 5 times. Our last cruise was 2013. We are 58 and 55. We sailed with Princess in 2006 to Alaska doing the Northbound Cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. It was beyond perfect. We are looking to sail May 2020 the same iteniary. We no longer drink but end a good comedy show and good music. I see Holland  America has similar iteniraies. What are your guys thoughts? Comparisons ?  

We've sailed Alaska 4 times on 3 different lines:  HAL (2, 2004 & 2005), Celebrity (1, 1996) and Princess (1, 2014).  Enjoyed them all.  Generally the HAL and Celebrity ships were smaller because of the dates we sailed up there on them, while the Star was larger.  IMHO all 3 cruise lines do a good job in Alaska.  HAL ships are "quieter" maybe because they're smaller than Princess ships and average pax age may be older.  But an Alaskan cruise is more about the scenery, etc. than what a ship offers in the way of onboard activities, etc.  Both lines have a naturalist aboard who offer lectures while at sea and commentary while in Glacier Bay, etc.  Nighttime activities are similar:  production shows, comedians, magicians, vocalists, etc.  [Overall, we've done 31 cruises on Princess, 8 on HAL, and 11 on Celebrity.]

I've done 2 Princess, one HAL and one NCL.  I would rate them Princess, HAL and NCL.  Both Princess and HAL have naturalists on board, that provide narration in the more interesting areas.  But the HAL naturalist really was poor compared to the ones I've experienced on Princess.  On NCL the foreign cruise director actually provided more informed narration than the HAL naturalist.  Maybe it was the luck of the draw?

Edited by fishin' musician

Thanks for the replies. I used to be on here as Miss Honey but had to change email to get in. We got away from cruising have just been flying to the Caribbean. We miss cruising. Pam I wondered if you were still on here. I always appreciated your info. This is tough. I think we can actually get more bang for our buck with HA. 

22 hours ago, Negril60 said:

. . . This is tough. I think we can actually get more bang for our buck with HAL. 

It's been our experience that HAL is more expensive than Princess, at least for an outside cabin without balcony.  Please elaborate on why you think one gets more bang for their buck with HAL.  Thanks!

I sailed Emerald Princess roundtrip from Seattle.  The prices were excellent.  They have naturalist onboard the entire sailing; who is on the ship intercom pointing out wildlife and things as you sail; and they also give lectures about each port of call. Princess has puppies on the Piazza, which gives you a chance to see the Alaskan puppies; hold them and have picture taken with them. Staff was excellent onboard too

Ports and time in port are keys. Also which glacier(s) do you visit? Glacier Bay (my favorite), Hubbard Glacier? Both? Something else? I find Princess southbound itineraries are great since they include both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Edited by frugaltravel

We've done both Princess and HAL - several times back-to-back where we did a week on Princess and then walked across the pier and got on HAL. Both do a great job of the Alaska run out of Seattle. We prefer HAL because the ships are smaller and we like their naturalists a bit more. HAL had longer times in ports and a slightly better docking position. Other than that they are fairly similar. We do both because every few years DH wants to go to Skagway to ride the train and HAL doesn't go there out of Seattle. 

Karen

The OP mentioned liking comedy and music; I wonder if anyone can compare Princess and HAL more in depth on these items? I have not sailed HAL yet, but I have noted that Princess is somewhat lacking in the comedy arena. Compared to, for example, Carnival, which I found to have an amazing variety of comedy, both in quantity and variety.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, Negril60 said:

Pam I wondered if you were still on here. I always appreciated your info. This is tough. I think we can actually get more bang for our buck with HA. 

Thanks. I’m rarely on CC any more since the boards changed and I can’t use Tapatalk. 

I can have a great cruise no matter what ship or cruise line. For me, it’s the destination but also the people. I don’t worry about the small stuff such as the cabin or buffet layout, entertainment, etc. Each line doesn’t some things better than another. My HAL cruise have been for the destinations but every time, I’ve made lifelong friends. Two of my three “all-time best” cruises were HAL cruises because of the itinerary and friends I made. 

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Thanks. I’m rarely on CC any more since the boards changed and I can’t use Tapatalk. 

I can have a great cruise no matter what ship or cruise line. For me, it’s the destination but also the people. I don’t worry about the small stuff such as the cabin or buffet layout, entertainment, etc. Each line doesn’t some things better than another. My HAL cruise have been for the destinations but every time, I’ve made lifelong friends. Two of my three “all-time best” cruises were HAL cruises because of the itinerary and friends I made. 

Pam-although we have never met, I encourage you to continue to post comments on CC as you are so knowledgeable about cruising.    I did meet your sister one morning at breakfast on the Alaska cruise--she made some comment that made me think she was you so I asked her.  The comment related to Princess insurance and I remembered your telling her story.  Perhaps we will meet someday!  I loved that photo of you in the Sanctuary on the Star!  Would have been together on the Royal but we decided to take a TA to Copenhagen on the Regal since our granddaughter is studying architecture there this school year--our first TA.  

Edited by DormMom
changed one sentence to make sense

9 minutes ago, DormMom said:

Pam-although we have never met, I encourage you to continue to post comments on CC as you are so knowledgeable about cruising.    I did meet your sister one morning at breakfast on the Alaska cruise--she made some comment that made me think she was you so I asked her.  The comment related to Princess insurance and I remembered your telling her story.  Perhaps we will meet someday!  I loved that photo of you in the Sanctuary on the Star!  Would have been together on the Royal but we decided to take a TA to Copenhagen on the Regal since our granddaughter is studying architecture there this school year--our first TA.  

Sadly, my sister passed away last week following a massive stroke. She met many CC members and touched many lives. Like that story from 2010, we’ll take a family cruise some time in the next year and scatter her ashes on the seas. 

I see that Princess has a medium size (Coral Princess, 1000 cabins) and a smaller ship (Pacific Princess, 335 cabins) doing Alaska.

Any thoughts on those ships.  The HAL ships have maximum capacities of 2500 PAX.

13 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I see that Princess has a medium size (Coral Princess, 1000 cabins) and a smaller ship (Pacific Princess, 335 cabins) doing Alaska.

Any thoughts on those ships.  The HAL ships have maximum capacities of 2500 PAX.

Those are both favorite ships amongst the Princess fleet. You can't go wrong with either.

10 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Sadly, my sister passed away last week following a massive stroke. She met many CC members and touched many lives. Like that story from 2010, we’ll take a family cruise some time in the next year and scatter her ashes on the seas. 

So sorry about your sis Pam.

May she rest in peace.

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Pam-so very sorry to hear that news as I knew you cruised often with her.  Taking her ashes to sea will be the perfect way to remember her each time you cruise.  Blessings!

On 2/6/2019 at 7:43 AM, Negril60 said:

We have sailed Princess 5 times. Our last cruise was 2013. We are 58 and 55. We sailed with Princess in 2006 to Alaska doing the Northbound Cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. It was beyond perfect. We are looking to sail May 2020 the same iteniary. We no longer drink but end a good comedy show and good music. I see Holland  America has similar iteniraies. What are your guys thoughts? Comparisons ?  

Have you considered taking a Cruisetour with either Princess or HAL.   IMO, a much better experience seeing Alaska,  both from the sea and land.  :classic_smile:

Princess or HAL.  You can’t go wrong with either mass market cruise lines cruising Alaska. 

Enjoy which ever you decide.

I have cruised  Alaska 12 times in last 15 years.  With Princess, Celebrity, and HAL.    This May, I will be sailing from San Francisco to Alaska, 10 days on Oceania Regatta.   Debarking in Vancouver, B.C.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 2/8/2019 at 4:26 AM, luvteaching said:

We've done both Princess and HAL - several times back-to-back where we did a week on Princess and then walked across the pier and got on HAL. Both do a great job of the Alaska run out of Seattle. We prefer HAL because the ships are smaller and we like their naturalists a bit more. HAL had longer times in ports and a slightly better docking position. Other than that they are fairly similar. We do both because every few years DH wants to go to Skagway to ride the train and HAL doesn't go there out of Seattle. 

Karen

That is so cool - getting off one cruise liner and getting on the other one across the pier.  I bet the hardest part was waiting for them to reopen the building to embark on the second cruise.  I love it!

We have never done a cruise tour. It sounds amazing. We are so confused. We love Alaska. We have also thought about cruising around Norway. It looks amazing. So does Iceland/ Ireland with Celebrity. We are also studying the Viking River Cruise. through Germany. I have never been so torn about a cruise vacation. I can normally book in a blink of the eye. If we do the land tour with Alaska all the prices are pretty much the same. The river cruise being the most expensive. I will take any feedback and suggestions. 

Pam I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister.

24 minutes ago, Negril60 said:

We have never done a cruise tour. It sounds amazing. We are so confused. We love Alaska. We have also thought about cruising around Norway. It looks amazing. So does Iceland/ Ireland with Celebrity. We are also studying the Viking River Cruise. through Germany. I have never been so torn about a cruise vacation. I can normally book in a blink of the eye. If we do the land tour with Alaska all the prices are pretty much the same. The river cruise being the most expensive. I will take any feedback and suggestions. 

I did Norway last year on Princess and Germany/Austria on Crystal River cruises for the Christmas Markets. Both are excellent cruises! I had done Alaska many times and am glad I ventured to Norway last year. I am avoiding Viking as they are requiring a payment a year in advance for cruises in 2020 and beyond. I will not do that. There are better river cruise lines out there - Viking just has the name recognition.