Tendering in Edinburgh

cfly

I am on  Crown Princess July 12 tendering in Ed, 7am-7pm. They offer an Explore Edinburgh on your own tour for $69, departing port at 8:30, and lreturning at 3:15 back in port at 4pm. It is more money than the train but I can cope with that. My goal is to maximize time in the city and minimize stress. I could take the train myself and tender off the ship by 8am, and then depart E. at 4:30 or 5pm. This would give me an extra 60 or 90 mins. in the city. But is that too late to return, given that I have to tender back to the ship. Is it realistic to plan to be on a tender by 8am? Would the Princess excursion end up actually giving me more time in Edinburgh? Comments welcome and appreciated.

They usually prioritize the Princess excursion passengers first - so taking the excursion would get you on a tender first thing in the morning.  

A couple of years ago there was an independent shuttle that run from the tender dock and dropped off at Charlotte Square (just off of Princes Street). At the time the cost was 10 pounds per person for a return ticket. It only took about 20 minutes and they ran shuttles all day (this was on a Saturday, so weekday traffic may take longer). Hopefully someone who in Edinburgh last year (or later this year) can verify if this is still operating.  The drop off location was great as it's a short (but steep!) walk up to the Castle and Royal Mile. 

To maximize your time and budget in Edinburgh, consider buying your attraction tickets before you leave home... we waited in line for 30 minutes to buy tickets to the Castle, and this was just as it was opening.

Happy Travels!

3 minutes ago, Wandering_star said:

They usually prioritize the Princess excursion passengers first - so taking the excursion would get you on a tender first thing in the morning.  

A couple of years ago there was an independent shuttle that run from the tender dock and dropped off at Charlotte Square (just off of Princes Street). At the time the cost was 10 pounds per person for a return ticket. It only took about 20 minutes and they ran shuttles all day (this was on a Saturday, so weekday traffic may take longer). Hopefully someone who in Edinburgh last year (or later this year) can verify if this is still operating.  The drop off location was great as it's a short (but steep!) walk up to the Castle and Royal Mile. 

To maximize your time and budget in Edinburgh, consider buying your attraction tickets before you leave home... we waited in line for 30 minutes to buy tickets to the Castle, and this was just as it was opening.

Happy Travels!

Thanks for the info. How long before ship departure did you return to the dock?

Are you in South Queensferry?  If so, last year there was a shuttle bus that ran from the pier to St Andrew sq for about £6.  We then walked to near the Info center and caught the hop on hop off bus and got off up near the Castle. (we had pre purchased tickets for the castle) Then we reboarded and road it around for an overview tour.  Here is a link to last years info. We found it a good way to get into Edinburgh from South Queensferry.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2534675-new-shuttle-bus-service-to-edinburgh-from-queensferry-2018/    

Edited by vjblk

In addition to the shuttle there will be taxis lined up as you come off.  Been a couple of years but as I remember it was £5 at that time for the shuttle and £20 for a taxi .  We grabbed another couple so the taxi fare was a wash with the shuttle.  We avoided waiting til the shuttle was full and the taxi dropped us off in the heart of town.

23 minutes ago, vjblk said:

Are you in South Queensferry?  If so, last year there was a shuttle bus that ran from the pier to St Andrew sq for about £6.  We then walked to near the Info center and caught the hop on hop off bus and got off up near the Castle. (we had pre purchased tickets for the castle) Then we reboarded and road it around for an overview tour.  Here is a link to last years info. We found it a good way to get into Edinburgh from South Queensferry.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2534675-new-shuttle-bus-service-to-edinburgh-from-queensferry-2018/    

so it seems like I can easily get to Edinburgh but can you remember how long it took to get off the ship/was there a long wait for independent passengers before they could get off? What time did you get back to the port in order to tender back?

We were on the Royal Princess and we were at the dining room getting our tender tickets a little before 8 and we were on the bus by 8:25.  There was traffic and we were at the drop off point at 9:20.  We only stayed in town long enough to go through the castle and ride the hop on hop off bus for their whole loop. We walked through some shops and got back on the bus around 1:20 and were back at the pier at 1:40.   At that time traffic was much better but if you go later you want to allow enough time for traffic.  I believe their brochure tells you what time the last shuttle leaves to get you back in time. 

Edited by vjblk

52 minutes ago, vjblk said:

We were on the Royal Princess and we were at the dining room getting our tender tickets a little before 8 and we were on the bus by 8:25.  There was traffic and we were at the drop off point at 9:20.  We only stayed in town long enough to go through the castle and ride the hop on hop off bus for their whole loop. We walked through some shops and got back on the bus around 1:20 and were back at the pier at 1:40.   At that time traffic was much better but if you go later you want to allow enough time for traffic.  I believe their brochure tells you what time the last shuttle leaves to get you back in time. 

thanks. It sounds like you didn't have an issue with waiting for tenders at all, although from what I have read elsewhere your experience sounds unusually good.

2 hours ago, cfly said:

Thanks for the info. How long before ship departure did you return to the dock?

Can't recall the exact time, but it was mid-late afternoon. In addition to the Castle, we did the Scotch Whiskey Experience, had lunch at a local pub just off the Royal Mile, walked down the Royal Mile, walked by Waverley Station and back up Princes Street to meet up with the shuttle. 

We were of the same mindset as you to maximize our time. The On Your Own excursion did not achieve this, so we decided to go independently but leave a safe amount of time for return. We had planned on a taxi, but none arrived, so we took the oft recommended X99 bus both ways, and it was great! There were A LOT of people waiting for the last bus time, but they brought several buses to do that final return. The lineup to tender in the early morning was nil; I’m sure it picked up shortly after we departed. The return was a lonnnnng tender line. We left a little late because so many weee stuck in line.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Edinburgh late May. When the recommendation is made to allow a safe amount of time to tender back from the Royal Mile to the ship by shuttle or taxi, what amount of time would you say is safest? 

And where is the X99 bus available relative to South Queensferry and town (along Royal Mile)?

44 minutes ago, rivercityrita said:

We will be in Edinburgh late May. When the recommendation is made to allow a safe amount of time to tender back from the Royal Mile to the ship by shuttle or taxi, what amount of time would you say is safest? 

And where is the X99 bus available relative to South Queensferry and town (along Royal Mile)?

I think it would depend on what time your ship leaves.  If you will be returning during rush hour when workers are on the road, I would leave maybe an hour and a half to get back.  If you look at the link I gave for last years schedule the brochure states what time the last shuttle leaves depending on when your ship leaves.  For example, for a 19:00 ship departure, the last shuttle left Edinburgh at 17:15.   The shuttle lets you off at St. Andrews Square which is a bit of a walk to The Royal Mile.  It doesn't look like they have their 2019 Info yet on their website.  You might want to keep checking their website for updates.  https://www.lothianbuses.com/timetables/cruiselink-x99/ or keep checking the ports of call section for the British Isles.  There is a very helpful local that posts during cruise season.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We will be in Edinburgh on 5/22/19. I appreciate the tips on transportation and timing. I saw two options for the Edinburgh Castle tour. The more expensive one costs $41/person. It's about 2xs the price of the other and the only thing that appears to be different is that the higher one skips the line (mentioned 2 hr. wait). Is this true? I would pay the extra to save the time, but don't want to overpay if lines are not a problem. We would arrive in the early morning.

Thanks.

Judy & Walt

You won't have any trouble finding the shuttle bus that goes into Edinburgh.    After you get off the tender and walk down the pier toward the street, you'll see the shuttle reps standing on the sidewalk right there selling tickets and giving out information.  The buses stop right there close to the end of the pier.   Its about a 20 minute drive into city center.   If you are in the middle of rush hour, then maybe a little longer.

When the shuttle drops you off, just make note of the location. Pick up to get back to the ship is the same as where you were dropped off.

Edited by vmom

Princess also contract a large passenger ferry/pleasure craft to assist in the tendering process to and from the ship/South Queensferry Wharf.  It eases the load a fair bit. We have been into South Queensferry twice on Princess ships, Crown in 2009 and Royal in 2018, we were on the larger ferry both times.  Enjoy.  

13 hours ago, HappyTravelers-2 said:

We will be in Edinburgh on 5/22/19. I appreciate the tips on transportation and timing. I saw two options for the Edinburgh Castle tour. The more expensive one costs $41/person. It's about 2xs the price of the other and the only thing that appears to be different is that the higher one skips the line (mentioned 2 hr. wait). Is this true? I would pay the extra to save the time, but don't want to overpay if lines are not a problem. We would arrive in the early morning.

Thanks.

Judy & Walt

Are you referring to tours Princess offers?  Looking at the Princess web site at Edinburgh tours from South Queensferry I am not seeing any excursions that cost as little as you indicate.

Edinburgh Castle & City Drive SQ1-205 costs $129.95.

Edinburgh On Your Own  SQ1-185 costs $69.95 and does not include admission to the Castle.

So if you are looking at Princess tours, what is the number of the excursion?

If you are looking at independent tours, it looks like the higher priced tour included admission to the castle and the lower priced tour does not. If the tour does not include a ticket, then, yes, there may be a wait in the ticket line, so if you book that tour, see about purchasing a ticket in advance over the Internet.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:03 PM, cfly said:

I am on  Crown Princess July 12 tendering in Ed, 7am-7pm. They offer an Explore Edinburgh on your own tour for $69, departing port at 8:30, and lreturning at 3:15 back in port at 4pm. It is more money than the train but I can cope with that. My goal is to maximize time in the city and minimize stress. I could take the train myself and tender off the ship by 8am, and then depart E. at 4:30 or 5pm. This would give me an extra 60 or 90 mins. in the city. But is that too late to return, given that I have to tender back to the ship. Is it realistic to plan to be on a tender by 8am? Would the Princess excursion end up actually giving me more time in Edinburgh? Comments welcome and appreciated.

When we were in Edinburgh we took the ship Explore it yourself tour and when everyone was on the bus and ready to leave one woman did not show up.  She had some things on the bus and nobody really knew her or her plans.  We sat on the bus for an hr waiting for her.  Then the driver called an officer of some kind and reported that we were going to leave and if she showed up to take the train.  We later heard that she did take the train back to the ship.  

There are 2 ways to look at this.  If something "happened " to her except for waiting an hr on the bus it looks like nobody looked into where she could have been and left her...No phone calls to her phone were made etc...so I guess the ship won't leave a whole tour bus behind...but maybe a person???

Another way to look at it...she was inconsiderate to everyone on the bus.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Are you referring to tours Princess offers?  Looking at the Princess web site at Edinburgh tours from South Queensferry I am not seeing any excursions that cost as little as you indicate.

Edinburgh Castle & City Drive SQ1-205 costs $129.95.

Edinburgh On Your Own  SQ1-185 costs $69.95 and does not include admission to the Castle.

So if you are looking at Princess tours, what is the number of the excursion?

If you are looking at independent tours, it looks like the higher priced tour included admission to the castle and the lower priced tour does not. If the tour does not include a ticket, then, yes, there may be a wait in the ticket line, so if you book that tour, see about purchasing a ticket in advance over the Internet.

The tours I mentioned were through Trip Advisor/Viator. Since I posted, I found another option which looks pretty good. It is a walking tour, plus a skip the line admission to Edinburgh Castle. Here is the link, in case you are interested. Now I am checking options on transport to Edinburgh (X99 bus vs shuttle). I would welcome suggestions from other travelers!

Thanks.

Judy

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g186525-d11448105-Edinburgh_Historical_Walking_Tour_Including_Skip_the_Line_Entry_to_Edinburgh_Castl.html?m=19905