2 Hour Meals in MDR---too long?

pyropoodle

I have been reading review after review, in sweet anticipation of my cruise that is coming up in 190 some odd days, and the recurring theme that I keep seeing when people complain about the MDR is "the meal took almost 2 hours".   The food was good, the food was bad, the servers were slow, the servers were fast, but the complaint that the meal took almost 2 hours is kinda bugging me. 

Bear with me as I try to put this into words....

I will concede that the waiters have more tables with less staff, so that might add to the length of the dining experience, but honestly, (and yes, I realize that Carnival's MDR is not on par with what some might consider to be 'fine dining', but still....) dinner in the MDR is supposed to be an experience.  at least, I think it is.  It is supposed to be as close to a fine dining experience on the sea as you can get without the upcharge of the steakhouse.   You are supposed to have the feeling of sitting down, having your appetizer, your main course, your dessert, all in a non-rushed fashion.   it's not applebees fcol!   

I don't have a lot of experiences to compare it to, but I have been to a few 'fine dining' eateries in NYC: Per se, Strip House, Bobby Van's (well, they were expensive if not technically 'fine dining' and in each case, the meals took at minimum and hour and 45 mins.  it's about the experience.   I think we are too focused on trying to get out early to see a show or do other things, but I feel like while 2 hours might seem like a lot, it is kind of on par with the time it takes in other land based 'fine dining' restaurants.  it's not something you rush, but enjoy.

am I completely off base here? am I missing something?    I don't recall a time when I was out of the MDR in less than an hour or 1 1/2 hours.   might just be me though.  

**not looking for a debate or hating on how much cutbacks have affected the line.  we all know about the cutbacks, but just in general...I feel like the MDR meal is an experience, and one I thoroughly enjoy.

Edited by pyropoodle
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

I have been reading review after review, in sweet anticipation of my cruise that is coming up in 190 some odd days, 

I will concede that the waiters have more tables with less staff, so that might add to the length of the dining experience, but honestly, (and yes, I realize that Carnival's MDR is not on par with what some might consider to be 'fine dining', but still....) dinner in the MDR is supposed to be an experience.  at least, I think it is.  It is supposed to be as close to a fine dining experience on the sea as you can get without the upcharge of the steakhouse. 

I don’t know anyone, at least family and friends I cruise with, who consider dinner in the MDR on a Carnival ship as anything close to fine dining.  In 24 cruises on Carnival my experiences in the MDR have ranged from good to excellent, but I have never thought for one second that it was remotely close to what I consider fine dining. 

• Like 2

I agree with the OP.  I chose my sailing mates because I enjoy them.  We may go our separate ways throughout the day, but dinner in the MDR is when we share our day and delight in a leisurely meal, wine, good conversation, and generally an after dinner drink.

There are other options for people who are in a hurry.

Edited by bury me at sea
  • Like 8

pretty sure I explained in my OP that I know it isn't fine dining.  but as close as you can get on the sea.  it's not meant to be Applebee's or Chilis. it's a sit down service, where they take your order, sweep away crumbs, keep you loaded with bread, etc...they don't rush you so they can clear the table for the next patron.   

Edited by pyropoodle
  • Like 7

Haven't been on Carnival in awhile, but I know I hear the same thing on RCI.  When my wife (very impatient) and I went in 2017, we did anytime, and think the only meal we had where it took more than an hour was when we had a table for 10 with some others we met on the boat.  When we took the kids in 2018, same deal, we were still out in an hour or so.  I feel that is the same as restaurants more of the class of the MDR (applebees, and things like it).  I am assuming on Carnival it would be more of the same if you have a smaller table.  If you are at a big table, I would assume it would have to take longer, since you wait for the last person done, and there is probably much more conversation going on between the different people.

• Like 1

Just now, pyropoodle said:

pretty sure I explained in my OP that I know it isn't fine dining.  but as close as you can get on the sea.  it's not meant to be Applebee's or Chilis. it's a sit down service, where they take your order, sweep away crumbs, keep you loaded with bread, etc...

There are other cruise lines, that are obviously more expensive, that provide fine dining at sea.  But to say Carnival is as close to fine dining as you can get on the sea makes me think you haven’t cruised on Carnival in a long time. The MDRs on Carnival are much closer to an Applebee’s or Chili’s, to use your examples, than they are to any decent fine dining establishment. 

3 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are other cruise lines, that are obviously more expensive, that provide fine dining at sea.  But to say Carnival is as close to fine dining as you can get on the sea makes me think you haven’t cruised on Carnival in a long time. The MDRs on Carnival are much closer to an Applebee’s or Chili’s, to use your examples, than they are to any decent fine dining establishment. 

I guess I mean in general, any main dining room, not just Carnival's MDR.  are there any that get you in and out in under an hour?

12 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

pretty sure I explained in my OP that I know it isn't fine dining.  but as close as you can get on the sea.  it's not meant to be Applebee's or Chilis. it's a sit down service, where they take your order, sweep away crumbs, keep you loaded with bread, etc...they don't rush you so they can clear the table for the next patron.   

I wish they still did that! On my cruise in 2013 I did feel like the dining was more like “fine dining”. That was back when my family got a lot of attention from our wait staff, we were spoiled beyond measure, tablecloths were the norm, sweeping off the crumbs, etc. However, I would say it reminds me more of a typical land based restaurant where u always have your app, then shortly thereafter your meal, and then maybe some dessert.  

I definitely dont feel rushed like they want me to leave quickly (like a typical Friday night in town). If I didn’t have kids with me, I might enjoy a leisurely dinner more. For now, we eat mostly outside the MDR so I don’t have to listen to them complain about being bored. 🙄 

Edited by momof4girls
  • Like 1

Pyro,

I agree with your approach to the MDR.  We like to take our time, be waited on, and enjoy each course.  No reason to hurry things.  If we were in a rush there are quick dining options.  The MDR is not about a quick dining experience, and we like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I totally get that with cutbacks, we can't be spoiled like we used to be, but I still think it's an experience and a nice way to kind of end the evening.  

I have 2 young kids, and if I couldn't dump them..i mean, place them gently in camp carnival, no way would I make it through a 2 hour dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes to everything the OP said. I have always enjoyed the MDR experience both before and after the cutbacks. I plan my evenings and select dining preference based on dinner taking almost 2 hours. My most recent cruise in January was the first time i ever felt rushed in the MDR. Dinners were an hour or less unless we lingered over our after dinner coffee visiting with our new friends. We did not like the rushed feeling every night. 

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this. I agree that dinner is intended to be an event of its own. We enjoy the leisurely pace, especially after a busy day. Then we are recharged for whatever we want to do in the evening. 

• Like 5

We do the MDR less and less.  We are a couple in our mid 50s and have comedy to see, naps to take before dancing etc.  

when we sit down we give them a heads up that we have to get to a show lol.

we do a table for two so probably easier to do this than at a table of ten.

I love to sit down and be waited on whether it's fine dining or on Carnival.  I like to be able to sit, enjoy a drink or glass of wine, relax, talk and just enjoy my surroundings.  I'm good with 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  It's my down time and prepares me for the rest of the evenings activities.

• Like 6

I absolutely love Carnival's Main dining room dinner and service.  I've never had a bad service in my 14 years of cruising with them.  Now my food has not always been the best every night, but the service is lovely. I've been on more upscale cruises and had better service and food, but I love Carnival the best and I love the dinners in the dining room.  After eating on the Lido deck for breakfast and lunch most days on a cruise, I appreciate the sit down experience.  We always choose early sitting which I think is the best.  Once I chose late sitting and once I chose anytime dining.  I don't prefer those because before I knew you could request the same wait staff each evening, we had different staff and they didn't get to know us and didn't put forth that extra special touch.  The late sitting in my opinion felt rushed.  I don't know if the waiters were tired or if they had other assignments after the late sitting or just wanted to get off duty, but it felt rushed.  I also personally felt rushed because I was trying to get to various events.  Therefore, I prefer the early sitting.  We have always bonded with our staff and they have given us so much attention.  I love how they remember certain things you like to eat or drink and they have it waiting for you or will bring out the egg rolls that my son loves every night even though it is not on the menu.  I love taking my time and trying out new things and more than one app & entrée.  I like how they even say try this and bring it even though no one ordered it.  It clearly is nothing like Applebee's or Chili's which I frequent a lot.  When I don't like the food in the MDR, I simply retreat to the Lido or I order room service to cap the night off so that I feel satisfied.  I've never really had a bad experience with the service.  On over 14 cruises with Carnival, I think only three times I didn't like something and I can tell you right now, it was their Thanksgiving Dinner turkey which tasted like canned turkey.  Also all of the Thanksgiving sides were awful.  Next was the lamb dish.  I was expecting Lamb Chops but I can't remember what I got, but it was disappointing.  Lastly, I'm not a fan of the MDR fried chicken.   I can't recall why exactly, but said I would probably never order again.  Everything else I had was great.  Even when the food is not as hot as I would like it, it had been good.  As far as the timing, it works out for us.  Only one time at the early sitting, one of the waiters didn't show up at our table for 10 and things took a little longer.  But it didn't take away from our service.  Also I try to get there on time so that I'm not in a rush to do something else.  All the events I want to do generally start after 8 and at the earliest 7:30 and I've always been done with dinner in time to do everything I want to do.  We just got off a Thanksgiving cruise and our next cruise is scheduled for May 25.  So this posting has made me very hungry and I can't wait to get to the MDR.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pyropoodle said:

You ask for opinions and members here will share them in their own words. If you merely want a yes or no then you have the option of posting a poll.

I think 90 minutes is sufficient for a relaxing dinner and we manage to receive that most cruises with your time dining.

Not once since 1989 have the crumbs been swept away from our table, never, not ever on Carnival. And yes, we like Carnival just fine.

Edited by sanmarcosman

36 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Not once since 1989 have the crumbs been swept away from our table, never, not ever on Carnival. And yes, we like Carnival just fine.

Crumbs were certainly removed (actually scraped with a little metal utensil) on our first Carnival cruise in 1991 and on several cruises since. But not in this decade.

2 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

I guess I mean in general, any main dining room, not just Carnival's MDR.  are there any that get you in and out in under an hour?

For my family of 4, we always do YTD. On our last 6 cruises we've requested the same wait staff and we told them we don't like some long drawn out process. We've been in and out of the MDR in under 45 minutes on every single cruise. That includes an appetizer, and dessert. 

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

It didn't help that 2 of our table mates ordered 4 and 5 appetizers, which contributed to the extremely slow service.

i agree, this would definitely add to the time, and i can see how that would be very annoying. 

2 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

I  We just got off a Thanksgiving cruise and our next cruise is scheduled for May 25.  So this posting has made me very hungry and I can't wait to get to the MDR.

it's making me hungry too!   i miss that warm chocolate melting cake . only 193 more days until i can eat it. 

53 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

For my family of 4, we always do YTD. On our last 6 cruises we've requested the same wait staff and we told them we don't like some long drawn out process. We've been in and out of the MDR in under 45 minutes on every single cruise. That includes an appetizer, and dessert. 

maybe it's just a case of people telling the staff ahead of time that they are on  a certain schedule.  I think that's what everyone who still wants sit down service, but in a timely manner should tell them.   it might help speed things up for those who just need to get out of there. 

2 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

We have always bonded with our staff and they have given us so much attention.  I love how they remember certain things you like to eat or drink and they have it waiting for you or will bring out the egg rolls that my son loves every night even though it is not on the menu.  

slightly changing the subject,but on the subject of the staff remembering  things....i took my mom on a cruise in January of 2012 on the Conquest. we had a wonderful waiter and late seating.  (i think this was before any time dining, but anyway...)   A whole year went by and i took her on another cruise, in January of 2013 on the Legend.  As we were walking into the dining room, i hear this voice calling my name.  i turned around and it was our waiter from a year before and from a completely different ship.   He actually gave me a hug and told the waiter at the table that were about to be seated at to be sure to give my mom plenty of Iced Tea.   Now THAT is some memory.    

I definitely left positive comments for him after the cruise.  they work so hard, and just the thought that he remembered me and a little thing like my mom and her iced tea gave me a whole 'nother level of respect for the wait staff. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

maybe it's just a case of people telling the staff ahead of time that they are on  a certain schedule.  I think that's what everyone who still wants sit down service, but in a timely manner should tell them.   it might help speed things up for those who just need to get out of there. 

Yea definitely tell them when you sit down what your preference is. Some people like spending their evening sitting at a table in the MDR. It's not that we're on a schedule, we just don't enjoy twiddling our thumbs for an hour and a half. We want to go out and do things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I love to sit down and be waited on whether it's fine dining or on Carnival.  

yessssssss.   it's the only time i'm remotely pampered without worrying about a bill!   even with cutbacks, i have found they always find a way to make me feel special. 

• Like 5

I agree. I think it’s completely ridiculous how much of a rush people are in these days. And it’s definitely an American thing. We were in Europe last spring and the difference is night and day. You have to chase down the waiters for the check because they are used to people sitting down, eating and having good conversations for hours. We Americans seem to forget how to have a conversation with people.  Everyone is too much in a rush to get to the next thing. Or too busy scrutinizing what other people are wearing instead of actually enjoying the company of the people they are dining with. It’s sad. 

• Like 6