Dog on the Edge!

chaswill

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I might be wrong but I don't even know if we have such a thing as an Emotional Support Dog in the UK. Have seen Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and Guide Dogs for the Blind. Thinking about it I don't think I've ever seen a dog in a push chair or dressed as described above. Am hoping it doesn't cross the Atlantic and become the 'latest' thing over here …. groan ….

Yes, you do have such dogs.  They are called PETS.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

Did you say anything to the staff?

Yes!

One of the cabin stewards was called over an all he could do was warn people getting on and off the elevators until further help arrived.

I showed my picture to the GRM but she did not seem too surprised.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, justcrusn said:

Welcome to the world of entitlement.

please don’t blame the cruise line or airline, if you claim its a service animal that’s accepted as a fact. They cant even question WHY you need a service animal. Just throw a vest over your dog and voila instant service animal, take fluffy on the cruise.

if i sound cynical, I AM. Its a system that is full of abuse. We have a family member that is a quadriplegic veteran and understand what a real service animal is and is not. 

Your emotional need peacock is B.S.

Just now, keithm said:

I totally agree with fake support/service animals. My way of dealing with it in stores/rest., is to snap a pic on my phone. The person obviously says what are you doing? I then tell them, I'm sending the photo to the national "registry" of offenders & that the person is liable for a $2000 fine & 6 mo. in jail for fraud. It's amazing how people suddenly "panic" & make a bee line out the door. After the recent Pitbull mauling, it's nice to know some airlines ARE taking action. At Publix markets in Fl. they have the 4 on the floor rule! No more strollers for your mangy mutt. If the gvt. won't take action, it's time for citizens to do it.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, johhnnyt said:

The good thing is there is a program in place that prevents people from just calling their animal a service animal.Since you have to notify the cruise line well in advance. They can legally ask

Can you confirm that the dog is required because of a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act?

What physical service tasks has the dog been trained to  perform?

Trust me. These people can sneak around that very easily. They'll provide fake certificates you can buy on line. There's actually a lawyer(who should be executed)who shows you how to do it & also sells all the fake stuff on his site!

My cousin has a support animal because of his PTSD from Iraq. The dog went through the required training and is a certified service animal. Now with that being said. The dogs is not well behaved and a butthead. More training needs to be done with these animals. No one questions a seeing eye dog. Why? because they are always well behaved. They go through months of rigorous training to get their certification not just a few classes. 

56 minutes ago, trucker den said:

My cousin has a support animal because of his PTSD from Iraq. The dog went through the required training and is a certified service animal. Now with that being said. The dogs is not well behaved and a butthead. More training needs to be done with these animals. No one questions a seeing eye dog. Why? because they are always well behaved. They go through months of rigorous training to get their certification not just a few classes. 

Even dogs who are PTSD dogs are not all service dogs, they have to be able to perform a specific task. That’s the law.

3 hours ago, keithm said:

Trust me. These people can sneak around that very easily. They'll provide fake certificates you can buy on line. There's actually a lawyer(who should be executed)who shows you how to do it & also sells all the fake stuff on his site!

Hi Keith, nice to see you. As you know these people don’t even need collars or any documentation. States may be passing laws but they can’t  get around the federal law. All you need to do is know the answers to the two questions and your home free unless the dog acts up. 

By the way so everyone knows according to the US Justice Dept the only animals that can be service animals are dogs and in some cases miniature horses.

2 hours ago, trucker den said:

And that's what I liked about the Florida law, if you really need a dog (like in your cousins case) for true medically therapeutic reasons  and a (non internet) medical doctor agrees, you're not going to be fined for pulling a scam

Edited by johhnnyt

6 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

And that's what I liked about the Florida law, if you really need a dog for true medically therapeutic reasons  and a (non internet) medical doctor agrees, you're not going to be fined for pulling a scam

You don’t seem to understand, federal law states that restaurant owners, hotel owners, etc can’t ask for documentation and can only ask two questions. Florida law cannot supersede federal law therefore a hotel owner in Florida is forbidden to ask for documentation, therefore unless there is another way to prove the dog is a fraud, the Florida law is virtually toothless. (No pun intended)

Edited by dkjretired

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

You don’t seem to understand, federal law states that restaurant owners, hotel owners, etc can’t ask for documentation and can only asThe handler is responsible for the care and supervision of his or her service animal. If a service animal behaves in an unacceptable way and the person with a disability does not control the animal, a business or other entity has the right to ask that the dog be removed. A business also has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others. For example, if a service dog barks repeatedly or growls at customers, it could be asked to leave.k two questions. Florida law cannot supersede federal law therefore a hotel owner in Florida is forbidden to ask for documentation, therefore unless there is another way to prove the dog is a fraud, the Florida law is virtually toothless.

But as a friend told me that works for RCCL told me they can ask

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

and

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

And if they lied about those facts, and its found out once onboard they can leave the passenger and their pet in the first port, and/or ban them from any cruises on the RCCL brands for violating the terms and conditions of the cruise contract

Also according to the ADA it's not a carte blanche policy. The handler is responsible for the care and supervision of his or her service animal. If a service animal behaves in an unacceptable way and the person with a disability does not control the animal, a business or other entity has the right to ask that the dog be removed. A business also has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others. For example, if a service dog barks repeatedly or growls at customers, it could be asked to leave.

• Like 1

Just now, johhnnyt said:

But as a friend told me that works for RCCL told me they can ask

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

and

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

And if they lied about those facts, and its found out once onboard they can leave the passenger and their pet in the first port, and/or ban them from any cruises on the RCCL brands for violating the terms and conditions of the cruise contract

Also according to the ADA it's not a carte blanche policy. The handler is responsible for the care and supervision of his or her service animal. If a service animal behaves in an unacceptable way and the person with a disability does not control the animal, a business or other entity has the right to ask that the dog be removed. A business also has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others. For example, if a service dog barks repeatedly or growls at customers, it could be asked to leave.

Absolutely, said that in an earlier post.

19 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

You don’t seem to understand, federal law states that restaurant owners, hotel owners, etc can’t ask for documentation and can only ask two questions. Florida law cannot supersede federal law therefore a hotel owner in Florida is forbidden to ask for documentation, therefore unless there is another way to prove the dog is a fraud, the Florida law is virtually toothless. (No pun intended)

There is no documentation, no required vests, etc. for service dogs.  As much as these states try, there is really no way to keep the fakers from saying their dogs are service dogs and lying about a task they perform.  Not only will business not keep these fakers out, they also won't kick them out when they misbehave, which is allowed under ADA rules and regulations, because they are afraid of being sued, because that is the first thing out of these fakers mouths.  It is a totally screwed up system that is better for the fakers than real service dogs.  

5 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Even dogs who are PTSD dogs are not all service dogs, they have to be able to perform a specific task. That’s the law.

Hi Keith, nice to see you. As you know these people don’t even need collars or any documentation. States may be passing laws but they can’t  get around the federal law. All you need to do is know the answers to the two questions and your home free unless the dog acts up. 

By the way so everyone knows according to the US Justice Dept the only animals that can be service animals are dogs and in some cases miniature horses.

I was at an event(we catered it)that had as a key note speaker, a person who explained all the differences. Basically, any business(incl. airlines)do NOT have to in any way "accommodate" a emotional support animal. Only those in apts. may be allowed to keep them under certain circumstances. JohhnnyT is also totally correct in his post. If a person refuses to respond to the bus. owner in asking the 2 questions that ARE allowed the owner may refuse admission. A greeter in our local Sam's Club asked the 2 questions..the owner told him to F blah blah blah! The mgr. got called over & I got involved as a witness & the faker was kicked out. A true service animal needs to be a dog. Miniature horses & pigs etc. are qualified as support animals. I guess this includes Pitbulls that rip people up, such as on that recent flight. The airline & dog owner in question are now both recipients of a multimillion dollar lawsuit. Hope the clod likes losing his possessions, because he couldn't leave the dog at home. I'll tell you my take a pic & then say it will be turned over to gvt. authorities has worked every time.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/yes-dogs-are-welcome-on-rcl-ships-but-not-just-any-dogs/

We will all see more than dogs soon. I’m going to have a friend bring her duck & mini horse, it’s allowed. You can all snap pictures & make comments all you want. She doesn’t leave home without at least the duck. I’ve ordered the pool for the room. Being delivered right to the ship 🌞 

Captain K has her cat & refused to do Europe without it. They are trying to change laws. But she’s got an iron clad contract  for big things anyway for the future. 

Edited by Naughty&Nautical

On my flight down to FLL, there was a young lady and puppy next to me.  They had the two seats and the dog was in a small carrier  on the floor next to me for the most part.  I can say the dog was better behaved than half of the children on the plane.  And it was a long ride for the pup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, johhnnyt said:

Yes, yes, YES!  Those who lie and try to pass their pets off as Service Dogs are of course the biggest problem with having fakes everywhere but businesses that do not know and ENFORCE their rights add heavily to the issue.  As a Service Dog handler I have to be hyper aware about protecting my partner because SOOOO many businesses do not understand that they can remove misbehaving (lunging, aggressive, uncontrolled barking, improper elimination, not under control of the handler etc) dogs from their establishment no matter what the person says or cards/pieces of paper they flash. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:21 AM, Umbarger said:

On a flight I was on a person had an emotional support turkey. I kid you not. She held that turkey for the entire 3 hour flight. Enough is enough.

Love it! 🤣It would save me a fortune in Home Boarding Fees if my whippet came on our upcoming cruise as a 'Guide Dog'. Should be fine as long as no one mentions cats!

Seriously though has anyone ever considered the animal's welfare? My dog would hate all the crowds and noise and I'm sure the turkey was less than pleased. Unless it was thanksgiving or Christmas and it was escaping being on the menu.😁

On 3/17/2019 at 7:21 PM, Umbarger said:

On a flight I was on a person had an emotional support turkey. I kid you not. She held that turkey for the entire 3 hour flight. Enough is enough.

How on earth did they get the gravy through security???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

How on earth did they get the gravy through security???

If a liquid is in a solid state (frozen) you can bring it through security, But they most likely just put it in several 3oz bottles in a 1qt ziplock bag. 

• Haha 1