Mention Bermuda Triangle?

BlueChairBlessing

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think this "descent" conversation needs to be lost in the triangle. Ā Just sayin. Ā :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Perhaps; Ā but considering proper use of our language at least has some value ā€”- while dwelling on superstitiousĀ supermarket tabloid trash about the dreaded Bermuda Triangle is an utter waste of time.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not so. Ā ā€œDescentā€ is defined as ā€œthe action of moving downward, dropping or fallingā€.

Ā 

Hopefully the pilot of you plane has planned a CONTROLLED descent, but when a plane falls out of the sky, for any reason,Ā it is a descent. I would not want to fly in a plane whose pilot did not understand the meaning of ā€œdescentā€.

Ā 

Do you fly?

Ā 

Descent is a specific phase of flight.

Ā 

Like many fields, there is a specialized language for aviation.

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Ā 

Do you fly?

Ā 

Descent is a specific phase of flight.

Ā 

Like many fields, there is a specialized language for aviation.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Yes, I do fly.

Ā 

While ā€œdescentā€ does apply to a plane approaching a controlled landing, it also applies (contrary to your earlier post) to any coming down - including pre- crash.

Ā 

Just because the word is used in aviation, it does not lose its general meaning.Ā 

So, as a double check, I asked on an aviation forum.Ā  Actually the oldest continuously operating online community.

Ā 

And every one who has answered agreed with me.Ā  And one sent this link to explain the phases of flight -Ā https://www.1001crash.com/index-page-statistique-lg-2-numpage-3.html

Ā 

Descent, in aviation is a specific phase of flight, and has a specific meaning in flying, and aviation accident investigation.

Ā 

And, BTW, not ALL crashes occur with a downward vector of the aircraft.Ā  CFIT is one.

Ā 

What did you or do you fly?

On 2/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps; Ā but considering proper use of our language at least has some value ā€”- while dwelling on superstitiousĀ supermarket tabloid trash about the dreaded Bermuda Triangle is an utter waste of time.

Ā 

I agree it has value unless it becomes quibbling andĀ gets in the way of effective communication. Ā Ā 

3 hours ago, SRF said:

So, as a double check, I asked on an aviation forum.Ā  Actually the oldest continuously operating online community.

Ā 

And every one who has answered agreed with me.Ā  And one sent this link to explain the phases of flight -Ā https://www.1001crash.com/index-page-statistique-lg-2-numpage-3.html

Ā 

Descent, in aviation is a specific phase of flight, and has a specific meaning in flying, and aviation accident investigation.

Ā 

And, BTW, not ALL crashes occur with a downward vector of the aircraft.Ā  CFIT is one.

Ā 

What did you or do you fly?

Learned in an Aeronca 7AC and Piper J3 (yes, Iā€™m that old), then Piper Tri Pacer and finally Cessna 172. Ā Given it up now.

Ā 

Ā 

On 2/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Ā 

Actually, itā€™s not the take off part that is dangerous. Virtually all injuries and fatalities take place when the plane comes down. Ā Ā 

The worst airline accident actually involved 2 B-747's that were still on the runway. Almost 600 deaths on both aircraft. While a small percentage to the total deaths/injuries since the advent of air travel, this is still considered as the world's worst airline disaster.

Ā 

Many aircraft were diverted to Tenerife, causing congestion. Fog also precluded visibility between the tower and aircraft. The accident happened in 1977, with a KLM aircraft initiating take-offĀ before receiving clearance from the tower. It collided with a Pan-Am aircraft that had already landed, but had not cleared the runway.

Ā 

This is a classic human factors accident and is included in many airline & marine human factors training.

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Learned in an Aeronca 7AC and Piper J3 (yes, Iā€™m that old), then Piper Tri Pacer and finally Cessna 172. Ā Given it up now.

Ā 

Ā 

BTW, on the aviation forum, it was pointed out that there have been crashed while the aircraft was climbing.Ā  But the ground was climbing faster.

Ā 

I got my private in a Grumman Tiger.Ā  Have flown most of the Cessna and Piper singles.Ā  A few twins.Ā  Several tailwheel aircraft.Ā  Gliders.Ā  Helicopters.Ā  And the T-37, T-38, A-10 for the AF.Ā 

Ā 

Have flown later aircraft from the 7AC family, the 7ECA,Ā 7GCBC, 7KCAB, 8KCB (both 150 and 180HP versions).Ā  Never flew a J-3 (yet, I have a friend with one), but have flown a J-5, and two versions of the PA-18 Super Cub (115 and 150 HP).

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The worst airline accident actually involved 2 B-747's that were still on the runway. Almost 600 deaths on both aircraft. While a small percentage to the total deaths/injuries since the advent of air travel, this is still considered as the world's worst airline disaster.

Ā 

Many aircraft were diverted to Tenerife, causing congestion. Fog also precluded visibility between the tower and aircraft. The accident happened in 1977, with a KLM aircraft initiating take-offĀ before receiving clearance from the tower. It collided with a Pan-Am aircraft that had already landed, but had not cleared the runway.

Ā 

This is a classic human factors accident and is included in many airline & marine human factors training.

Ā 

Yes, and was the reason for precise wording and phrases used to prevent misunderstandings.

Ā 

The requirement and use of proper terms is not understood well by people not in the field.

Ā 

When we had a racing sailboat, people would question why we used the terms we did.Ā  So I would always have them forward at some point, looking back at me, and I would say, LOOK LEFT, while pointing Port.Ā  Of course, they would look to THEIR LEFT, and then see my hand, then agree that maybe the terms were used for a reason. šŸ˜„

On 2/15/2019 at 5:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Ā 

The ā€œBermuda Triangleā€Ā as generally understood is NOTĀ a myth. It is a clearly defined triangular area of the sea with apex points at Miami, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Bermuda. Ā Look at any map of the North Atlantic Ocean and you can see where it is.

Ā 

Of course, the notion that many unexplained happenings there must result from some supernatural phenomena is questionable. Ā Yes, lots of ships and planes have ā€œvanishedā€ there ā€”- which is kind of understandable as it covers a very large area of heavy traveled sea. Ā Worrying about it is even sillier than refusing to sit down at a table of thirteen ā€” because whenever there are thirteen at a table it is a demonstrable FACT that one of them will die first. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What if the first 2 or more to die died in a simultaneous event, wouldn't that disprove the fact?

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Ā 

What if the first 2 or more to die died in a simultaneous event, wouldn't that disprove the fact?

Arguably, Ā but a simultaneous event, such as a plane crash other disaster would not necessarilyĀ mean both would die simultaneously ā€”- and certainly not provably.

Ā 

Would you prefer a Ā broader prediction: ā€œIf thirteen peopleĀ sit down at the same table, it is a certainty that Ā they will all dieā€?

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ā 

Would you prefer a Ā broader prediction: ā€œIf thirteen peopleĀ sit down at the same table, it is a certainty that Ā they will all dieā€?ļ»æļ»æ

I would predict that all will die, regardless of the number. 6,023 people sit down to eat. How many will die? All of them.