Regional Scottish Nosh

Just watching TV program on food (amongst some other stuff) in Edinburgh and the East Coast

And horrors of horrors they put Vinger 😱on their Chips 🤮 Well everyone in the Edinburgh area knows it should be “SAUCE” 😉

What other local Foodie gems to folks have to share for our visitors 😀

Cullen Skink is really tasty! Do look it up online.  Also cranaghan.

One obvious omission on the other posts is morning rolls. Tasty whether with a hot or a cold filling.

Personal favourites  are  #1 bacon and mushroom and #2 with fried egg- and both must have sauce too!

Cullen skink is a soup made up of smoked haddock, onions and potato

Tattie scone is a  a potato scone so made primarily from potatoes and flour and butter.

Black pudding is pork blood and oats of some kind

Cranachan is a dessert. Cream and oats with usually berries and sometimes with a bit of whisky.

When we say juice we actually mean the fizzy stuff like coke or irn bru. Council juice is tap water. 

Personally I don't like it but some do. You can have anytime though most people either have it for as a breakfast roll or a supper when they go to the chippy. Sometimes I see it as a starter or a side in a restaurant but not often. 

Chippy is a chip shop like fish and chips. You can order an item as a single meaning without chips or a supper which means with chips. A Glasgow salad is chips 

13 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Black pudding = Blood sausage  not so unfamiliar at all.  😄

Never heard of blood sausage either - had to google it. Yep, it appears that blood pudding & blood sausage are very similar. In addition to the UK & US, blood sausages are made in quite a few countries: France, Germany, Spain, Poland, Finland, Estonia, Czech Republic. I've never seen it on a menu in the states or during my travels and had, until on this thread, never heard of such a thing. Learned something new (although extremely doubtful that I will attempt to find one of these delicacies to sample) - I find the name repellent (puts me in mind of vampires).

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Globaliser said:

Top of the list, surely: Those visiting Glasgow should try the local delicacy of deep-fried Mars bars.

Deep Fried Mars Bars are not a Glasgow Delicacy, they were first produced in Stonehaven which is on North East Coast Of Scotland and you are actually more likely to get them in Edinburgh.

16 hours ago, Sanjam cruisers said:

Deep Fried Mars Bars are not a Glasgow Delicacy, they were first produced in Stonehaven which is on North East Coast Of Scotland and you are actually more likely to get them in Edinburgh.

Sorry Sanjam but never seen them in a chip shop here. 

In chip shops here though there always used to be 3 dispensers on the counter - Salt, Vinegar and brown sauce - delicious! Chips  tend to be quite chunky unlike the kind you often get in the USA

Chowder isn't a Scottish delicacy is it? I thought it was more North American???

As well as a Black Pudding Supper (black pudding dipped in batter and deep fried, with chips) you can also get red pudding, white pudding and haggis suppers cooked in the same way

Edited by tartanexile81