Pinnacle Grill

Tidalmist

We have this perk as well on our upcoming 2 cruises.  Our TA told us that we will be notified once we get to our cabin of the date and time of the reservation, but that we can change it once on board if we want.  But if someone else knows how to make it ahead of time, I'd also like to know.  Thanks!

The only way to make it ahead is to book and pay for a reservation in advance. Then, ask to have your free dinner used in place of the paid one and your paid one be credited back to your account. That's what we have always done and haven't had a problem. However, you have to accept the risk that you may not be able to get a credit back and you'll be stuck with two dinners. As I said, we have not had a problem ever. We most recently did the paid & refunded thing in December on the Zuiderdam. 

1 hour ago, Tidalmist said:

Well I think we will let HAL make the reservation for us. I am hoping that the food is better than recent reviews.

We always have that same hope and are usually disappointed :(.  The Pinnacle could be so much better with a few tweaks but we now wonder if HAL is just going through the motions with this venue.  Many of the diners are getting either a free dinner or a major discount (25 or 50%).  A friend (huge HAL fan) says that with the Pinnacle she always gets her money's worth....but she pays zero :).   We actually love having lunch in the Pinnacle (it is only open a few days for this meal) but are constantly underwhelmed by dinner.

Hank

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Food is totally subjective. No way to know how Pinnacle will appeal to you. We like it.

I agree and just to add that it can also depend on the ship.

Some ships have excellent PG’s.  Others can be very dependent on who is in charge, sadly.

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

I agree and just to add that it can also depend on the ship.

Some ships have excellent PG’s.  Others can be very dependent on who is in charge, sadly.

Definitely agree with kazu on this one.  IMO food and service are best on the smaller R and S class ships probably because the venue is smaller. Also in my opinion the Prinsendam has the best Pinnacle Grill in the fleet so it is unfortunate she is leaving HAL on July 1st. 

23 hours ago, POA1 said:

The only way to make it ahead is to book and pay for a reservation in advance. Then, ask to have your free dinner used in place of the paid one and your paid one be credited back to your account. That's what we have always done and haven't had a problem. However, you have to accept the risk that you may not be able to get a credit back and you'll be stuck with two dinners. As I said, we have not had a problem ever. We most recently did the paid & refunded thing in December on the Zuiderdam. 

We saw people on one cruise being denied the refund and told they now had 2 dinners.  Manager told us that is depends on how many promo dinners they have to fulfill. Kind of implied that Mariner level can help in that situation.

35 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Definitely agree with kazu on this one.  IMO food and service are best on the smaller R and S class ships probably because the venue is smaller. Also in my opinion the Prinsendam has the best Pinnacle Grill in the fleet so it is unfortunate she is leaving HAL on July 1st. 

Nice to see that you agree with my long time assertation that Prinsendam has the best Pinnacle Grill in the fleet. 😉 

I’ve never had a bad PG there ever.  Always great.  I believe they even have their own kitchen IIRC.

I’m looking forward to my last ones on her.  I am going to really miss the quality there.

Perhaps I am too fussy, but I expect to have the same level of service and food quality across all ships within the brand.

i understand that food can be subjective, but well prepared quality food should be the least we expect from cruise ships. This is one of the reasons why many are fleeing from mainstream cruises to luxury brands.

13 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

The PG on NS was outstanding on the Premier sailing.

The candied bacon appetizer was delicious along with the roasted beets and goat cheese.

I wish they were on all the ships.

Was there a special or different menu from what they usually offer? I haven’t been able to locate these items on any of the menus on line.

They sound delicious!

31 minutes ago, Tidalmist said:

Was there a special or different menu from what they usually offer? I haven’t been able to locate these items on any of the menus on line.

They sound delicious!

It appeared that on the "Premier" voyage all restaurants had special menus.  Likely due to the number if "VIP's" from CCL and press on board. That and Rudi was onboard personally overseeing everything

Have heard reports in past when CCL has exec meetings on board a cruise the menus in the restaurants all change.  I guess we have to be lucky enough to be on one of these sailings to get the special stuff.

Edited by frankc98376