Nieuw Statendam

richwmn

Now starts the second week of this adventure.

Lets start with what happened to the continuing passengers. I believe Alberta Quilter did an excursion in FLL so she missed this wonderful experience.

I had been told that around 500 passengers were continuing on to the next week. It looked like closer to 1000. Our instructions were to go to the World Stage Deck 2 Starboard side at 9:45. At 10:45 or so the last people straggled in. We then waited a bit more before we were paraded down the ship to the gangway and then passed by an immigration official that scanned our passports and then we lined up in the baggage area until everyone had completed this process. We waited for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably around 15 minutes, until the last lady came down the escalator to a round of applause. A few minutes after that we were allowed to return to the ship in a somewhat orderly fashion. I say somewhat because they tried to make the entire process a "first in, first out" process but some of the "last in" pushed ahead of the majority of the group. The whole process took a little over 2 hours.

Back on board, many smiling faces, got lunch and now waiting for Sail Away.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Now starts the second week of this adventure.

Lets start with what happened to the continuing passengers. I believe Alberta Quilter did an excursion in FLL so she missed this wonderful experience.

I had been told that around 500 passengers were continuing on to the next week. It looked like closer to 1000. Our instructions were to go to the World Stage Deck 2 Starboard side at 9:45. At 10:45 or so the last people straggled in. We then waited a bit more before we were paraded down the ship to the gangway and then passed by an immigration official that scanned our passports and then we lined up in the baggage area until everyone had completed this process. We waited for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably around 15 minutes, until the last lady came down the escalator to a round of applause. A few minutes after that we were allowed to return to the ship in a somewhat orderly fashion. I say somewhat because they tried to make the entire process a "first in, first out" process but some of the "last in" pushed ahead of the majority of the group. The whole process took a little over 2 hours.

Back on board, many smiling faces, got lunch and now waiting for Sail Away.

We were two of those "last in" people, I'm sorry to say. Our tour returned earlier than expected. I thought the holdup was getting one's photo taken by the ship photographers so when we saw an opportunity for intransit guests, we took it. It was only when we got to the front of the line that I realized they hadn't let anyone back onboard.  I hadn't realized that all in the upper waiting area were intransit and we butted ahead of the whole lot.  I'm very sorry.

• Like 1

I just realized that we will have 4 "turnaround" days in the fall.  We have a ship excursion for one, and the other 3 we will be "doing it on our own" (trains, walking, etc.)  I know Rich went right back on the ship, what happens with a ship tour and with those who just want to get off the ship for the day?

27 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

We were two of those "last in" people, I'm sorry to say. Our tour returned earlier than expected. I thought the holdup was getting one's photo taken by the ship photographers so when we saw an opportunity for intransit guests, we took it. It was only when we got to the front of the line that I realized they hadn't let anyone back onboard.  I hadn't realized that all in the upper waiting area were intransit and we butted ahead of the whole lot.  I'm very sorry.

Actually, you weren't. We were in the lower area where baggage claim is. The stragglers were people who stayed on the ship and had to be found. I believe one of them reported to the World Stage without her passport in hand and had to go back to her cabin to get it and took her sweet time.

26 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I just realized that we will have 4 "turnaround" days in the fall.  We have a ship excursion for one, and the other 3 we will be "doing it on our own" (trains, walking, etc.)  I know Rich went right back on the ship, what happens with a ship tour and with those who just want to get off the ship for the day?

This was just for those staying on the ship. If I had wanted to get off the ship I could have exited the ship at whatever time I wished during disembarkation. We had a ticket marked "intransit" which we were to show to the people handling the lines which would have put us at the front of those waiting for the ship to become ready. This is what Alberta Quilter did.

• Thanks 1

This new segment is a food theme cruise.  Rudi Sodamin himself is onboard this week.  I noticed in the When and Where that he will be showing pax how to make Salzburger Nockerln in the World Stage this morning.  Unfortunately, at the same time as our Meet & Greet.

At the end of the week, there will be a special dinner in Sel de Mer that Rudi is hosting.  We have signed up for that so will report later.  We did not book this cruise because of the theme, we found out about the theme after final payment.

So, I still don't know why we got the extra OBC (and am afraid to ask; maybe they'll take it away) but we spent it already!  We couldn't get the tour we wanted for Grand Turk, it was sold out.  Instead, we booked a mini Hummer tour.  If spots become available for the preferred tour then we can get a refund for the Hummer tour.  If not, we will have fun in the Hummer!

Second day of week 2 is a sea day and started with a very good Meet & Greet. It was well attended by CC members and the Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, and Beverage Manager showed up to say hello. All very nice gentlemen.

It is a beautiful day headed for Grand Turk. Someone mentioned yesterday that around 500 children are aboard. I am seeing several out and about so that might be true. So far they haven't seemed to be a problem.

Here is the menu for tonight, which will be the first Gala Night. Have a great day, wherever you are!

Feb18dinner.pdf

Kids being a problem.?..……….hmm, maybe the problem could be the old snooty-holier than thou thinking older passengers, we were all kids at one time, I just wish I could've experience a cruise when I was a "KID." Plain and simple.

We love seeing kids on a cruise and think they are very lucky to cruise at an early age.

• Like 1

The mystery of the unknown credit has been solved.  We realized this morning, when looking up the details for the special dinner, that the charge for the dinner was $178 which is the exact amount of the credit received.  Our friends who also booked the dinner received a similar credit.  Off we went to the front desk.  Somehow, they had us booked on the past cruise, for the PG, and we were no shows so they refunded us!  I said that we hadn't prebooked the PG, we had prebooked for the Chef Rudi dinner in Sel de Mer.  She couldn't figure it out but advised us that we did NOT have a reservation for the special dinner.  My friend went down to Sel de Mer and got us both rebooked for the dinner.  Fortunately, they still had room.  There was no plausible explanation for the mixup, though.  It happened to at least one other couple, too.  I mentioned it at the Meet & Greet and Julien, the F&B manager, offered to check into it for her.  She, too, did not have a reservation so he booked her in right then and there.  Thank goodness we checked into it further.  It would have been very disappointing if we didn't find out until Friday.

I was also able to sign up for the Behind the Scenes ship tour which will also be on Friday afternoon.  The cost is still $150.

After travel trivia, this morning, I ran into a quilting buddy from home.  She and her husband boarded yesterday.  It's a small world!

31 minutes ago, firecrewcapt said:

Kids being a problem.?..……….hmm, maybe the problem could be the old snooty-holier than thou thinking older passengers, we were all kids at one time, I just wish I could've experience a cruise when I was a "KID." Plain and simple.

We love seeing kids on a cruise and think they are very lucky to cruise at an early age.

That's a little harsh.  Perhaps problem isn't the correct word but, face it, the dynamics of a cruise can be different when there are more kids onboard.  Doesn't necessarily mean better or worse, just different.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Fouremco said:

Usually the larger ship gets the island tenders, but in this case, I suspect that the first to (figuratively) drop anchor will get them.

I'm sailing on NS on Sunday.  On Monday we are at HMC.  I think KONINGSDAM is there with us.  That should be interesting with the tendering, and I'm sure the island will feel very crowded.  All our ports will be loaded with other ships, but is to be expected this time of year.  I love it for the ship spotting which is a hobby of mine.  

22 minutes ago, eroller said:

I'm sailing on NS on Sunday.  On Monday we are at HMC.  I think KONINGSDAM is there with us.  That should be interesting with the tendering, and I'm sure the island will feel very crowded.  All our ports will be loaded with other ships, but is to be expected this time of year.  I love it for the ship spotting which is a hobby of mine.  

Yes, you are sharing HMC with Koningsdam on Monday, as we are on Saturday. I'm sure observations will be made

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Yes, you are sharing HMC with Koningsdam on Monday, as we are on Saturday. I'm sure observations will be made

I look forward to hearing them.  Back in 2010 I was on NA and we shared with MAASDAM.  It wasn't even noticeable.  But with NS and K-Dam a different story I think.  

PB130374.jpg