Nieuw Statendam

richwmn

Well, we had a different experience!  We are not flying home until tomorrow so opted to linger.  We chose the last option for disembarkation which, I believe, was 9 am.  When we got our disembarkation docs, we were advised we could leave any time between 8 and 9:30.  While we were eating breakfast, they suspended disembarkation due to congestion in the terminal.  At 9 am, we went to the cabin to gather our things and move to a public lounge.  We sat there until 10 am because they kept starting and stopping disembarkation.  Even when they announced that everyone should get off, we stood there waiting in line but no one was actually leaving the ship.  We were finally off the ship at 10:30!  

Once off, we were quickly through to get our luggage.  We got a porter and that was well worth the tip!  He got us around the long lineup for immigration, to a much shorter line of only three people ahead of us.  I think there were only three immigration officers.  He looked at us and compared us to our passports and sent us on our way.  Then the porter took us right to the taxi line where a taxi was waiting for us.  We got to our hotel by 11:00 am!

While it was a long wait to disembark, we were informed about the delays and we were comfortable sitting in a lounge.  No one appeared to be upset at the delay, at last, not that I could see.

20 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Well, we had a different experience!  We are not flying home until tomorrow so opted to linger.  We chose the last option for disembarkation which, I believe, was 9 am.  When we got our disembarkation docs, we were advised we could leave any time between 8 and 9:30.  While we were eating breakfast, they suspended disembarkation due to congestion in the terminal.  At 9 am, we went to the cabin to gather our things and move to a public lounge.  We sat there until 10 am because they kept starting and stopping disembarkation.  Even when they announced that everyone should get off, we stood there waiting in line but no one was actually leaving the ship.  We were finally off the ship at 10:30!  

Once off, we were quickly through to get our luggage.  We got a porter and that was well worth the tip!  He got us around the long lineup for immigration, to a much shorter line of only three people ahead of us.  I think there were only three immigration officers.  He looked at us and compared us to our passports and sent us on our way.  Then the porter took us right to the taxi line where a taxi was waiting for us.  We got to our hotel by 11:00 am!

While it was a long wait to disembark, we were informed about the delays and we were comfortable sitting in a lounge.  No one appeared to be upset at the delay, at last, not that I could see.

This was much like my disembarkation for Nieuw Statendam.  Disembarkation was delayed by one hour because of a power outage at Terminal 26 and the need to re-position the ship along the pier--twice--which disrupted the disembarkation.  Like you, I engaged the services of a Porter once in the baggage claim area and I speedily got through ICE, into a taxi, and on to my hotel.  (I beat you to my hotel by 15 minutes.:classic_smile:)  You mentioned that the tip you gave to the Porter was well worth it.  For cruisers disembarking in any port:  I think your comment is an understatement!

• Like 1

Since we are talking about disembarkation, I'll add my experience.

I was also not in a hurry, since I was only going across the parking lot to Nieuw Statendam.

I also had instructions that I could disembark between 8 and 9:30. I ate breakfast and went back to the cabin for a bit. I was hoping to leave pretty much as late as possible. A little after 9 I went to BB King to get out of my cabin so the stewards could clean it. I also heard the start / stop several times. About 9:45 or so I decided to leave. I was quickly off the ship and into the baggage area. I found my bag quickly and waited in the long line, but it moved quickly. I walked across to Terminal 19 and was checked into Nieuw Amsterdam and in the waiting room a bit after 11, and boarded at 11:35 or so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I saw a recent post from another ship saying that they are charging $10 extra if you order more than one entree in the MDR. Is that the case on the NS?

And that, folks, is how rumors get spread.

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear if they have figured out the logistics of tenders when they have both Kdam and NS at HMC on the same day. 

The first time it happened in Dec, it was an unmitigated disaster - we waited until 10:30 to get tender tickets and STILL took over 2 hrs to get ashore and almost as long in line to come back.  I  wouldn't have gone but those we were traveling with were doing the horseback ride. 

I  am hoping that there were some good lessons learned and subsequent changes to save other cruises from the same level of frustration!

Edited by Micmac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Micmac said:

I'm interested to hear if they have figured out the logistics of tenders when they have both Kdam and NS at HMC on the same day. 

The first time it happened in Dec, it was an unmitigated disaster - we waited until 10:30 to get tender tickets and STILL took over 2 hrs to get ashore and almost as long in line to come back.  I  wouldn't have gone but those we were traveling with were doing the horseback ride. 

I  am hoping that there were some good lessons learned and subsequent changes to save other cruises from the same level of frustration!

I did not go ashore. I understand that the Glass Bottom Boat from HMC was used as a tender and each ship had two island boats to use. As to how fast it went, I would defer to someone who actually went ashore.

41 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Well is there any truth to that “rumor”?   They posted a pdf of the menu for Feb 28 and it clearly stated that there was a $10 charge for ordering more than 1 entree. 

No verification to date, and subsequent posts bring into question whether that photo of a menu was a photo of the actual menu used that night.

It's far better to keep any related posts on the other thread, with all of the available information, rather than raise it in other threads where readers won't have the benefit of all of the available information.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I saw a recent post from another ship saying that they are charging $10 extra if you order more than one entree in the MDR. Is that the case on the NS?

That was true for Koningsdam's Pinnacle Grill when I ate there this past week - don't know about the MDR as DH prefers the Lido.

So turns out I was booked on the NA, and not the NS. What a shame.

I wanted to know if you guys were charged 10 extra for every extra entree you ordered in the MDR for those cruising from 2-17 to 2-24? The MD  told me that it was universally applied across all ships under HAL, but I suspect that she was fibbing. 

TIA

Edited by DrSea

On 2/26/2019 at 1:52 AM, DrSea said:

So turns out I was booked on the NA, and not the NS. What a shame.

I wanted to know if you guys were charged 10 extra for every extra entree you ordered in the MDR for those cruising from 2-17 to 2-24? The MD  told me that it was universally applied across all ships under HAL, but I suspect that she was fibbing. 

TIA

I was on Nieuw Amsterdam from Feb 24 to today. I don't generally eat in the MDR, but each evening's menu had a note to the effect that $10 would be charged for additional entrees. It is not all ships, just four for testing, Nieuw Statendam is not included. There are 2 threads (at least) which discuss this fully.

• 1 month later...

Two questions:

(1) I read somewhere there is live piano music in the Ocean Bar? 

Can somebody provide some info, when does the pianist play, how is the music, can you hear well or you need to sit closer to teh piano, etc.?

(2) Impressions about the World Stage shows?

Read reviews saying productions are so-so.

An curious whether you agree, disagree, why.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide more info.