Late night flight DFW - LHR. Meals?

Alaskanb

Is this BA or AA? What time of the year? I don't think I've ever come across that late of a DFW-LHR flight (an 11pm departure). But having been on other late AA and BA departures around that time, you usually still get a full meal, though sometimes they may expedite it a bit. After about midnight you start getting in to more of the snacks (such as flights from the Middle East/Subcontinent back to London on BA).

36 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Is this BA or AA? What time of the year?

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I see 9:55, arriving 1pm on BA.

It's BA192, currently scheduled as departing DFW at 2300 or 2310 and arriving LHR at 1300 or 1310 next day (depending on day of the week). These approximate timings come (back) into force on Sunday 27 October 2019 for a week; as the OP's cruise departs Southampton on 31 October 2019, I would expect them to be flying on Monday 28 October or Tuesday 29 October, and of these two, it's the Monday night flight that has a 1310 arrival.

In economy, I think it should be a full hot dinner after departure, and a small cold breakfast before arrival.

7 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

It's BA192, currently scheduled as departing DFW at 2300 or 2310 and arriving LHR at 1300 or 1310 next day (depending on day of the week). These approximate timings come (back) into force on Sunday 27 October 2019 for a week; as the OP's cruise departs Southampton on 31 October 2019, I would expect them to be flying on Monday 28 October or Tuesday 29 October, and of these two, it's the Monday night flight that has a 1310 arrival.

In economy, I think it should be a full hot dinner after departure, and a small cold breakfast before arrival.

Ah thank you. I've flown on BA192 many times but never have seen it leave at 2300 so that threw me off. I have taken the 2200 departure of BA192 quite often and always get the meals you describe above.

I have never understood the need for the hot dinner and then smaller breakfast on these flights. The last time I left on a long haul that late they gave a snack and then a full hot breakfast. That makes a lot more sense IMO. Most people would have eaten before 11pm. 

57 minutes ago, Flymia said:

I have never understood the need for the hot dinner and then smaller breakfast on these flights. The last time I left on a long haul that late they gave a snack and then a full hot breakfast. That makes a lot more sense IMO. Most people would have eaten before 11pm. 

I agree, though there's no requirements to eat it (of course, it likely will still keep you awake because of the noise and lights). There have been times where I have connected in from elsewhere and not had time to eat due to short/late connections, but that's not the norm. That being said, I feel people would overwhelmingly complain if they cut the meal...and then complain about the meal too 🙂

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

You are all very clever and apologies for lack of details!

Yes --we leave on 28 October ELP to LHR via DFW. We will be in Business class -- AA points and loads of fees to BA but unless an AA flight opens up it's our best option at the moment. I am really hoping for a substantial  breakfast. 

1 hour ago, Flymia said:

I agree. Just wish they would let you know in advance. 

Edited by Alaskanb

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Ah thank you. I've flown on BA192 many times but never have seen it leave at 2300 so that threw me off. I have taken the 2200 departure of BA192 quite often and always get the meals you describe above.

It's a long way off so who knows what the time will actually be! 

4 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

You are all very clever and apologies for lack of details!

Yes --we leave on 28 October ELP to LHR via DFW. We will be in Business class -- AA points and loads of fees to BA but unless an AA flight opens up it's our best option at the moment. I am really hoping for a substantial  breakfast. 

It depends what your definition of substantial is. I've never called a BA J-class breakfast substantial on its own right, but after eight hours of doing nothing and burning few calories, it does keep me going for a while afterwards.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

It depends what your definition of substantial is. I've never called a BA J-class breakfast substantial on its own right, but after eight hours of doing nothing and burning few calories, it does keep me going for a while afterwards.

We are heading for Southampton so with the late arrival we may need to stop in the Galleries lounge at LHR to top up! 🙂

14 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We are heading for Southampton so with the late arrival we may need to stop in the Galleries lounge at LHR to top up!

Make the most of whatever you get on board, because you won't have access to any lounges when you arrive at LHR.

15 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We are heading for Southampton so with the late arrival we may need to stop in the Galleries lounge at LHR to top up!

Make the most of whatever you get on board, because you won't have access to any lounges when you arrive at LHR.

1 minute ago, fbgd said:

To follow up to Globaliser’s post. Arriving DFW-LHR in business class does give you access to the Arrivals lounges but they close at 2pm. Hot food is cleared away at 12.30pm. 

Thanks so much for that info. Maybe Costa Coffee then? 

36 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

AA points and loads of fees to BA but unless an AA flight opens up it's our best option at the moment.

Always worth remembering that you'll pay hefty "carrier imposed surcharges" when redeeming on BA.  Sometimes, the surcharges are almost the cost of buying a ticket outright.  And not just for AA miles - same with AS redemptions.

3 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

Maybe Costa Coffee then?

How much time do you have? You'd be able to get a better meal if you have time to go up to check-in level and go to Carluccio's or the pub (it used be the Five Tuns but has been refurbished and changed its name to something that I don't remember - the LHR map I pull up just says "Coming Soon", which I'm almost certain is not the pub's new name).

6 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Always worth remembering that you'll pay hefty "carrier imposed surcharges" when redeeming on BA.  Sometimes, the surcharges are almost the cost of buying a ticket outright.  And not just for AA miles - same with AS redemptions.

Thanks. We have done this before so are quite aware --the first time was a shock!. The value of having a lie down bed and leg elevation is unmeasurable for us.   

9 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

How much time do you have? You'd be able to get a better meal if you have time to go up to check-in level and go to Carluccio's or the pub (it used be the Five Tuns but has been refurbished and changed its name to something that I don't remember - the LHR map I pull up just says "Coming Soon", which I'm almost certain is not the pub's new name).

Thanks but think we will be fine with a snack. 

My next question is what time to schedule our car pick up for? I've always arrived at LHR in the morning so this early afternoon arrival is new. I assume we will have the quick access line for immigration and the wait will be for luggage then a walk through customs. My guess is about 2:30 -3 pm if all goes well. 

13 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

My next question is what time to schedule our car pick up for?

I think 2.30 pm should be fine as you will have Fast Track immigration. Baggage delivery isn't that slow and customs almost always adds no time to the process. You're likely still to have plenty of time to stop at Costa, unless your flight has been significantly delayed.

• Thanks 1