UDP and The Key question

I have been watching the Key thread but my question isn't really a Key question it is more of a UDP question.

We purchased the ultimate dining package for our upcoming 5 night Bermuda cruise on Anthem.  It is hubby's milestone birthday cruise so we splurged - though the price was $90 on Cyber Monday so it was quite the steal.

I don't have any personal experience with the UDP, but have read multiple threads/reports where you can enjoy an embarkation lunch in a specialty restaurant if a restaurant is open included in this package.

So I guess I have two questions, and the first would be is what I read common? Are guests with UDP generally able to enjoy an embarkation lunch at one of the specialty restaurants (on Anthem?)

and The Key factor

I know the restaurants will likely be open to serve those who have purchased The Key - Anyone have recent experience? Have you experienced UDP patrons turned away because the restaurants are available only to Key members? Or are the restaurants open to serve both The Key and anyone who has UDP and/or purchased a lunch.

I am a tad worried - we were looking forward to an embarkation lunch somewhere other than the Windjammer.  I have not sailed Anthem, only toured - and we were offered lunch when we toured.  The Windjammer was a place of nightmares and I walked around for quite awhile, with my food getting cold, looking for a seat.  I finally settled on a table that had no chairs and stood to eat my then cold lunch!  The tour was great until that point, and definitely would be a sour way to start a vacation.  I know embarkation lunch can hectic on an cruise ship but I had never before in my cruising history not found a seat.  Obviously the ship still wow'd me enough for me to overlook the incident but was hoping to work around having to encounter it when I will have my family/extended family with me 🙂

Thanks all for sharing your experience and advice

Lunch for the Key on Embarkation Day will only be in Chops or Jamie's. So there should be enough seats for either spots you choose as there is still a limited amount of Key guests per sailing. There is also the Solarium Bistro which is open for lunch that day.

1 minute ago, marcg125 said:

Lunch for the Key on Embarkation Day will only be in Chops or Jamie's. So there should be enough seats for either spots you choose as there is still a limited amount of Key guests per sailing. There is also the Solarium Bistro which is open for lunch that day.

I did love the Solarium on Oasis.  Unfortunately I can't boot my son during embarkation lunch (he is 10) so at least for that lunch I will have to find somewhere else. Once we are settled into the cruise I am sure there will be more splitting up or my son visiting kid's activities so I'll have chance to eat there 🙂 

We just got back from an Oasis cruise with UDP and were turned away from Chops for embarkation lunch due to being reserved for Key cruisers only. After that we were able to eat at Giovanni's table instead for the embarkation lunch.  We will probably buy the UDP again for our August Alaskan cruise on the Ovation.

2 minutes ago, Mallow said:

We just got back from an Oasis cruise with UDP and were turned away from Chops for embarkation lunch due to being reserved for Key cruisers only. After that we were able to eat at Giovanni's table instead for the embarkation lunch.  We will probably buy the UDP again for our August Alaskan cruise on the Ovation.

Thank you!  I am hoping if that is the same on Anthem that they will have Jamie's open for us 🙂  Glad to hear some btdt feedback.

19 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I did love the Solarium on Oasis.  Unfortunately I can't boot my son during embarkation lunch (he is 10) so at least for that lunch I will have to find somewhere else. Once we are settled into the cruise I am sure there will be more splitting up or my son visiting kid's activities so I'll have chance to eat there 🙂 

I think  kids were allowed in the Bistro just not allowed to hang out in the Solarium

Edited by molly361

15 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Kids are allowed in the Solarium to eat.

15 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I believe you can take your son to Solarium for a meal only.  I have read that on thee boards and planned on using it for breakfasts for my 14 and 12 yo.  Kids just cannot be in pool/lounging areas.

2 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

Wait....if you buy the UDP you get an embarkation lunch at a specialty?  I did not see that listed as a benefit.

6&8

That varies by ship.  Some ships alllow it and others don’t.  I think that more ships are no longer allowing it withthe introduction of the KEY.

3 minutes ago, sixesandeights said:

Wait....if you buy the UDP you get an embarkation lunch at a specialty?  I did not see that listed as a benefit.

6&8

Mixed reports on that, differs by ship.

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That varies by ship.  Some ships alllow it and others don’t.  I think that more ships are no longer allowing it withthe introduction of the KEY.

This!  It was never offered explicitly as a benefit though many people have been offered the embarkation lunch in the past - perhaps they looked at it as a sea day when the lunch venue would be open?  You can have lunch on sea days with the package

From the website: 

OVERVIEW

Savor the savings with the Ultimate Dining Package! For one low price, you can enjoy dinner at our specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, you’ll also get to eat lunch in our specialty restaurants on sea days.