Travel kettle

vinob

Hi folks, has anyone managed to take a travel kettle onboard, I often wake up about 5am desperate for a cuppa, and usually again at 7 before breakfast, don’t really want to pay room service charges and tips each time, or have to wait for room service to come. Has anyone else managed to take kettle on or will it be picked up when scanning luggage, can’t see the difference between someone taking straighteners for hair or a kettle as long as it has safety cutout. 

2 minutes ago, vinob said:

Hi folks, has anyone managed to take a travel kettle onboard, I often wake up about 5am desperate for a cuppa, and usually again at 7 before breakfast, 

On sailings out of UK some ships provide them. Also JS and up cabins have them.

Just now, Biker19 said:

On sailings out of UK some ships provide them. Also JS and up cabins have them.

Sailing out of Rome in Balcony cabin, just another ploy for RCI to make money, actually I couldn’t find anything in the brochure terms & conditions re kettle, but may have missed it.

4 minutes ago, vinob said:

Sailing out of Rome in Balcony cabin, just another ploy for RCI to make money, actually I couldn’t find anything in the brochure terms & conditions re kettle, but may have missed it.

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinob said:

Coffee and tea are still free with room service (part of the continental breakfast)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

I suppose kettle comes under coffee maker, thanks

22 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Coffee and tea are still free with room service (part of the continental breakfast)

I believe they charge for room service in the wee hours, but hey ho I can’t do without my cuppa at 5am So I’ll have to bite the bullet, thanks.

Edited by vinob
Spelling mistake

43 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any

Sorry but we have to deduct candles + incense as they were double!

48 minutes ago, vinob said:

I believe they charge for room service in the wee hours, but hey ho I can’t do without my cuppa at 5am So I’ll have to bite the bullet, thanks.

But a really good travel mug, fill it before you go to bed and presto, you can have your coffee or tea at 5AM.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

But a really good travel mug, fill it before you go to bed and presto, you can have your coffee or tea at 5AM.

The Simplest of things, I never thought of taking a travel mug, can I ask in the bars late at night for them to fill it if we are on a drinks package or would they insist in serving it by the cup, never had this problem as we've mostly sailed with P&O, Princess and Norwegian who have kettles in the cabins.

We have kettle in our cabin for Australian sailings .

I take a coffee plunger and our favourite coffee.

why don’t Americans have them???

someone told me in the diamond lounge once but I forgot.

It was something about port inspections and safety??

can someone fill me in.

Sorry. Absolutely forbidden!   You get a kettle if you have a JS or above. Or as others have said you can get continental breakfast delivered free. Or, I think you are on Jewel, so there is an area set up outside the WJ where you can get tea/hot water.    

Which neatly brings us to next possible question.... no, no bathrobes supplied!! 

Its nothing about a “RCI ploy to make money”, it is just the Americans and continental audience do not have the same requirements for a cuppa in the morning. 

Most American homes I’ve been in don’t even own a kettle! 

Edited by little britain

Hello,

Always sailing out of Southampton, I've always had a kettle in a balcony cabin - in a JS I've had a filter coffee machine. I would never bring my own coffee machine as it's the same type as in the Diamond Lounge and not much smaller. In the past I have brought a kettle on board and without any problem.

Regards,

Cublet

4 hours ago, vinob said:

The Simplest of things, I never thought of taking a travel mug, can I ask in the bars late at night for them to fill it if we are on a drinks package or would they insist in serving it by the cup, never had this problem as we've mostly sailed with P&O, Princess and Norwegian who have kettles in the cabins.

Nothing like a morning cuppa! 

That travel mug idea is genius, Chilly bottles keep warm for 12 hours, they also make travel coffee cups. Cafe Promenade has help yourself hot water, milk and tea bags and it's open until late. The Windjammer also has these facilities but they close earlier than the Cafe. 

A travel mug you'd be fine to fill up, a water bottle style bottle you would have to do it in a mug and pour it into your bottle. We have always gone to Cafe Promenade before bed to get a cup of tea (for best results bring your own teabag, but the one Royal has are good.) 

Another tip- With Room Service you're not guaranteed to get English Breakfast Tea.... On our Oasis sailing when we used Room Service, even though we wrote down which tea we wanted we always got something different except once. 

Hello,

Here is the UK 'naughty list':

Hairdryers are permitted.

Prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with a blade length of 10.2 cm (4 inches) or more. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)
  • Candles & Incense 
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons & Hot Plates 
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows 
  • Illegal Drugs 
  • Bicycles, Skateboards & Surfboards 
  • Martial Arts Gear 
  • Self-Defence Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks. 
  • HAM Radios & Walkie Talkies

I think 'coffee makers' mean exactly that - as I understand it, electric kettles are rare in the US chiefly because of using 110v compared to our UK 230/240v and it taking an age for the water to boil compared to a 'jug' on the stove or a cup in a microwave. I think, looking at the company that coffee makers are keeping, the issue is over an 'exposed' heating surface whilst the kettle has the element enclosed.

Whether through laziness or stupidity our government has made no distinction between sea ports and airports so their restriction of knife blade length of 7cm applies to both even though RCI has a higher limit of 10.2cm.

Also, see above, no mention of extension leads.

And no handcuffs will spoil some people's fun!

Regards,

Cublet

Ask your room steward, if he/she refuses ask the hotel director.  We've always managed to get a kettle if it's not been provided.  Might help if you have an English accent 😉

Edited by besberry

I think Hair straightener's  and curling irons were allowed on the exempt list due to huge push back.  Kettles, not so much.

Most ships that i've been on, had a place to get hot water from 24/7.  Whether or not its hot enough to brew coffee varies.

However, on my last 4 cruises, I've started to bring a French Press, or someone else on here called it a coffee plunger.  I did it because the coffee on the ship in my opinion, is horrendous.  I also buy preground coffee (which i never do except for cruises), ground coarsely.  

I also bring a small thing of dish soap as well to wash it with as well.