Carnival Price Protection-opinion

Ok-had to ask since this requires an extra step.  My travel agent booked our cruise last month & I was going to text her to request a price protection credit.  The only thing is-it’s only $10 per person less so $20 total. 

I really don’t feel bad asking her for so little but actually regret even going with a TA since she provided little insight on the ports (most of which she’s been to) and the price we paid + OBC was exactly what I could have got on my own.  Add to that I like to be in control: login to my account, see payment balances.  I probably would even have to book Carnival excursions through her.

Would you contact your TA for $20?

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Yes. I would ask for any price reduction. Just be sure that you won't lose your OBC by asking for the price drop.

Carnival offers their excursions online before the cruise and once on the ship. You do not have to book through the travel agent. You likely would be much better off booking excursions through 3rd. party companies. This site has a "port of calls" section, that will give you ideas, pricing, about things you can do and reliable tour operators for each of your stops. You can find these threads if you look down the page on the "main forums" screen.

have a great cruise

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Then you're missing out on possible OBC and lower prices from the TA.  I call my TA about anything as well.

Don't get me wrong.  I was my own TA for the first 10 cruises, but then found an agency that is tied in with my airline mileage credit card.  I've earned us a few free flights and hotel nights using that travel agency to book cruises (up to 7 points per dollar spent on cruises plus occasional bonus points).  I'm now branching out to other agencies that will include OBC and offer lower prices than the advertised price of the cruise line.

You might have a point about OBC but we have had bad luck in finding a TA in our area and when we did use one, we found they didn't work as hard as I will on finding good deals on travel.  Granted, their time is limited; I'm not their only client.  I have no problem with asking for OBC and have gotten it.  Maybe not as much as a TA could get me but there are trade offs, I suppose.  I'm a control freak and LOVE planning travel so I don't want to give up MY fun. 🙂