Shallow question...how are their toiletries on board...shampoo, etc.

horatio123

I  think it may depend on your preferences and class of room.   Also whether you are a female as oppose to a guy.   I guess us guys aren't that fussy but I find the they are very nice in the suites.  

They have Bonine on board all the ships I have sailed and often Marizine.    I believe they also have them at the Customer Service Desk if requested.    If you are prone to sea sickness I would keep a supply on hand just in case.   When you hit bad seas they are sold out quickly and about 3x the prices as at home.

• Like 2

I would bring all my own toiletries and sea sickness meds.  

In terms of the toiletries, if you are happy with any toiletries you get in a hotel, you'll be ok.  They are nothing special IMO.  

And as far as the meds go, if the ship hits rough seas, they could run out ... we've seen it happen before.  We also take a little cold medication along on every trip as well.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Those thing pack up without taking hardly any room.  

Yeah, I pretty well take a good first aid kit along on any trip but sounds like I need to buy some toiletries.  As for Bonine, Dramamine ginger can't get those in Canada.  Walgreens when I get to Miami?  Help me understand this.  Have never big boat cruised(only river),  no motion sickness in cars, etc. but boards often say to get your body ready in case...ginger, etc.  Do I only get into the Bonine IF I feel ill? Seabands IF I feel ill?  Or do I get on the boat, assume it may be bumpy out of Miami or while in bed and take the meds even though I am fine, in case?  I am not handling the anticipation well, I must admit.

13 hours ago, horatio123 said:

Yeah, I pretty well take a good first aid kit along on any trip but sounds like I need to buy some toiletries.  As for Bonine, Dramamine ginger can't get those in Canada.  Walgreens when I get to Miami?  Help me understand this.  Have never big boat cruised(only river),  no motion sickness in cars, etc. but boards often say to get your body ready in case...ginger, etc.  Do I only get into the Bonine IF I feel ill? Seabands IF I feel ill?  Or do I get on the boat, assume it may be bumpy out of Miami or while in bed and take the meds even though I am fine, in case?  I am not handling the anticipation well, I must admit.

I always start Bonine the day before I leave and take EVERY day after, including one or two days back on land.  It is better to prevent sea sickness than to try and chase it afterwards.  Many people take it at night, I tend to take in the AM due to the fact I take it before my flight to the port which is usually in the daytime.  Maybe I will just take another at bedtime this trip to get in that night time schedule.  

I bring my own products, especially lotion.   As far as sea sickness.... I was worried about this on my first cruise.   I do not get motion sick in the car, or on a small boat,  or on any amusement park rides.    I had the doctor write out scopolamine  for me and he said to put it on before I got on the ship,  because if I waited till I felt sick it would take 24 hours to help.   I did not get it filled because it was expensive and I really didn't want to take anything if I didn't have to.   I bought some ginger chews at GNC and brought some Dramamine just in case.   We had 2 or 3 days of very large waves and the ship was really rocking at times.   It never bothered me.      Our second cruise was smooth sailing the entire trip.

I personally don't like to take anything unless absolutely needed.   But that is just me.  If you take something before you feel ill,  you will never know if you are prone to seasickness or not.    The ginger chews definitely works for nausea, and there are usually green apples in the buffet that are supposed to help. 

I use to get very motion sick until I started sailing regularly.    As someone else stated It can be a good practice to take a motion sickness tablet the night before you begin the cruise.  I would also take one the morning of the cruise and found that it settled the inner ear and after the first day I didn't need anymore. 

If uncertain you might just have them on hand and at the first sign of feeling queasy take one.  While many  claim that the bands and ginger work, the really did nothing for me. 

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use to get very motion sick until I started sailing regularly.    As someone else stated It can be a good practice to take a motion sickness tablet the night before you begin the cruise.  I would also take one the morning of the cruise and found that it settled the inner ear and after the first day I didn't need anymore. 

If uncertain you might just have them on hand and at the first sign of feeling queasy take one.  While many  claim that the bands and ginger work, the really did nothing for me. 

If anyone is from the East Coast of Canada a company in Newfoundland called Purity makes a ginger cookie. If anyone can get their hands on a box they are excellent for nausea.

Thanks everyone.  Cool Cruiser, do you remember where you purchased the Bonine in Ontario?  I do have the Ginger Gravol here at my pharmacy but was wondering if the Dramamine natural would be a better choice as it is longer acting rather than every four hours.  I may order them both off Amazon.

The question is exactly that.  I would like to say I do or do not get motion sick rather than taking the meds pre cruise for security..but then...that really might rain on my parade..will probably be nervous and not eat as much, etc.  Am pretty embarrassed about my anxiety but need answers from the experienced.  Thanks again.

Can’t remember when I bought it. It’s been a few years. Have never used it but always bring it along.  On the last 3 cruises I have used the scopolamine patch before embarkation. I am not going to to use anything on my  cruise  next week. But not to tempt fate am going to bring everything along.

Back to the original question -- the toiletries in Suites are the Bulgari brand.  I was just in an Aqua class stateroom last fall, and my memory is that the toiletries were from Gilchrist and Soames.  I am a woman with medium texture hair, and, whether we are in a Suite or Aqua stateroom, don't bring my own shampoo or conditioner.  I do have dry skin and find the hand lotion to be rather light, and do bring a more substantial hand lotion (ie Curel or Lubriderm).

And to the question about seasickness meds -- I was the kid who frequently experienced motion sickness when in early elementary school when in a car, but never in an airplane.  It stopped by the time I was in fourth or fifth grade.  On our first cruise I was surprised about the amount of motion, and did experience some motion sickness.  We now pack Bonine and I also have a set of seabands in my toiletry kit.   But folks really need to consult their medical practitioner for better advice.  And we were one time in a major storm (yes -- I had taken Bonine) and were talking to a maitre 'd who told us that he believed that given the right conditions any one could experience sea sickness.  He told us he had even seen ship captains experience motion sickness.

I bring my own shampoo and conditioner. I use the shampoo that Celebrity supplies to wash out our swimsuits. I bring advil, tylenol, nyquil, dayquil, benadryl, bonine, immodium,  flonase, bandaids to cover all bases. If you can't get bonine (meclizine) OTC or by prescription, benadryl works well as a motion sickness and sleep medication. I experienced some mild seasickness on my first cruise and those meds worked very well. Haven't had a problem in subsequent cruises, but I still pack them. It's better to have the stuff and not need it than the other way around.

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, drakes2 said:

If anyone is from the East Coast of Canada a company in Newfoundland called Purity makes a ginger cookie. If anyone can get their hands on a box they are excellent for nausea.

Love those ginger snaps.  have probably eaten a ton.....could be why I don't suffer from motion sickness.