RCI Pay day at Coco Cay

6 hours ago, fred30 said:

The Navigator and Mariner dock together there a lot.   And a couple of times it's the Navigator and Oasis class.  At some other times there are both a small and large ship.

So yeah it will be crowded at times.

Can’t be Navigator and Oasis class as Oasis class ships have never tendered 

My kids and I love Water slides!  But, we live close to a water park, so we can go whenever we want.  I know that Coco Cay is supposed to have the tallest water slide, but “tall” doesn’t always mean fun.  I think the slides on most Royal ships are actually pretty boring.  So, if it’s anything like those, then I don’t really want to pay for it.  I’m basically just waiting to read some reviews before I decide for sure.  

If the slides are fast and the crowds aren’t too bad, then I’ll consider it.  

Luckily, our cruise isn’t until November, so I’ve got time to wait for reviews.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, Ashland said:

How nice of you...that would be so much appreciated. Enjoy that seminar.

Just back.  The answer I received was that it was bodies per cabana regardless of age.  It was qualified with “its not open yet so it may change”....reading between the lines it was “I’m not sure so I will make something up”. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 2:26 AM, mondas42 said:

I believe it’s still free to sit on the beach? Cos that’s what we will be doing. Refuse to spend that kind a money to go in a water park.

That is all we do at CocoCay. We grab a lounger on our favorite section of the beach and chill for the day.

8 hours ago, karena1 said:

That is all we do at CocoCay. We grab a lounger on our favorite section of the beach and chill for the day.

What is your favorite section?  We love Columbus Cove at Labadee.  Haven’t yet been to CocoCay, but hope to bypass the water park and find a nice beach — (gentle slope into water, no rocks).

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just back.  The answer I received was that it was bodies per cabana regardless of age.  It was qualified with “its not open yet so it may change”....reading between the lines it was “I’m not sure so I will make something up”. 

Thank you so very much for taking the time not only to try and get the answer,but also to return to post it.

Hoping by the time we go in May 2020 the policy on this will be available. 

Every time I see the "Perfect Day" commercial, I can imagine Royal raising the bar yet again on what they charge extra for (although there will be no shortage of people willing to pay).  Glad my kids are past the waterpark stage.

• Like 1

Just to put things in perspective...

For years now...Royal and other cruise lines generally "break even" on revenue vs costs for their regular cruises.

Where the cruise lines make most of their profits is on drinks (especially packages), excursions, and chartered cruises.

So the next time you see, hear, or read about "promotions" for any of those things...you might understand why the cruise lines are both "aggressive" and "anxious" to get folks to buy them. Cocoa Cay will be a gold mine of revenue...they likely have a firm forecast on recouping their entire $200 million. 

One specific example...

In December, we sailed Ovation out of Sydney. In one of the New Zealand ports stops, we booked a terrific 4-1/2 hour train ride/tour excursion directly for about $74 per person. The exact same excursion (pre-cruise-discount price) was $130 per person through RCI. The train was totally full. Where do you suppose the different in revenue went? Yup. Multiply that time "x" number of ports...and you can see where the real money is made by cruise-lines. 

Yeah the water park seems a bit too much for what you get there, particularly compared to something like the ones in Orlando (Aquatica, Volcano Bay, Typhoon Lagoon, etc). 

For comparison the current costs for a regular day pass to Aquatica, $64.99, Blizzard/Typhoon Lagoon $65, Volcano Bay $70,

Atlantis' day pass is $135.  So it's more similar to that than the mainland water parks.  For us, it's not worth it.  I think Volcano Bay is my favorite of the Orlando parks (if it's not too crowded, but Aquatic and the Disney ones are really great also), Atlantis is amazing, but too expensive, and it'll be real interesting to see reviews of the Coco Cay waterpark.

Edited by atricks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Are you kids over 80?????

I am in my 60s and still love to go to water parks.

Nope.  16 & 22 (girls).  Neither of them has expressed a desire to hit up a waterpark since they were 12.  

We live near a large amusement park that has one, and for about $90/year (annual pass) kids can go as much as they want (as well as hit up the amusement park rides). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

What is your favorite section?  We love Columbus Cove at Labadee.  Haven’t yet been to CocoCay, but hope to bypass the water park and find a nice beach — (gentle slope into water, no rocks).

Labadee we always stay at Nellie's.  Water is super calm and very few rocks.  At CocoCay, we sit to the left of the Wacky Seagull, pretty much right below the snorkel shack.  We don't like South Beach so we always sit on the other side.   

On 2/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, momofmab said:

Nope.  16 & 22 (girls).  Neither of them has expressed a desire to hit up a waterpark since they were 12.  

We live near a large amusement park that has one, and for about $90/year (annual pass) kids can go as much as they want (as well as hit up the amusement park rides). 

16 I can see, as it may be seen as not cool.

But that is why there are different things for different people.