Train Station in Rome from Port

Carol M

We will be getting off a RCL cruise in May in Rome and want to get to the train terminal to catch a train to Venice. I have a couple of questions:

1. I was told I could catch a bus at the “Metra” about 1 mile from the port and it would take us to the Train Termini.  Has anyone tried this? I assume we would get a taxi to the bus station.  Or does anyone know what a taxi would cost to the train station and forget the bus?

2.  I want to pre purchase our train tickets and am asking if you think I will be off the ship early enough to catch a noon train?  I have been on numerous cruises and we were typically off pretty early.  It’s been a few years, but doesn’t the cruise.ine ask if one needs to be off early for flights, etc?

we are retired and trying to make this easy for us.  Thanks for your assistance!

Carol 

I have no clue about such a bus.  Most folks would get themselves to the Civitavecchia Train Station and then simply catch one of the regional trains to Termini.  There is a free port bus that would take you fro m your pier to the bus transfer station at Largo della Pace (just outside the port area).  At that transfer point you can pay 2 Euros for a ticket on the shuttle that will drop you right at the Civitavecchia Train Station.  Trains to Rome's Termini run several times an hour in the busy morning hours..tapering down to 1-2 trains per hour.  Depending on which train you catch it will take 55 to about 1:10 to get to Termini.  Just beware that the trains from Civitavecchia generally end at a track (within Termini) that is a long walk from most other tracks.  Not a problem for those who can walk and drag their luggage.....but otherwise is a major consideration.

Hank

• Like 1

I haven’t done this, have embarked twice in Civitavechia but never disembarked there. So take this as my just thinking aloud, not as definitive advice. But from Rome we took the train to Civitavechia, I would think the easiest way to catch a train in Rome would be to go to the train station in Rome by train from Civitavechia...as Hank said while I was writing this reply!

Listen to him.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 1

You can get more information on the Italian ports board but I give you what I know as I’ve been to civitavecchia a few times.

You would take the port shuttle to Largo Della Pace (shuttle stop)

take the 2€ bus or 8€ taxi to civitavecchia stazione (train station)

taxis may not take you as they may want longer fares 

buy a ticket to Venice (you will transfer at Roma Termini)

tranfer at Rome to Venice (Venezia Santa Lucia stazione)

my suggestion is is to:

try and catch the 11:16am Frecciabianca FB8605 at civitavecchia towards Rome 

You’ll have 47 minutes to get off the train and find the Venice platform (no rush)

keep your wits about for pick pocket as they target this scenario 

catch the 12:50 Frecciabianca FB8434 to Venice 

arrive in Venice at 4:35

Edited by lamchops

I can't tell from the wording of your post if you know that you disembark in Civitevecchia, not Rome. Got this off the web:

https://www.thetrainline.com › Train times › Civitavecchia to Venice

The average journey time between Civitavecchia and Venice is 5 hours and 53 minutes and the fastest journey time is 4 hours and 26 minutes. On an average weekday, there are 19 trains per day travelling from Civitavecchia to Venice.

Just Google: Civitavecchia to Venice by Train.

Thanks so much for your information!  Looks like we will take the shuttle to the bus then to the Civitavecchia Station and then on to Venice with one stop at Roma Termini!  I’m going to go ahead and pre purchase our train tickets.  Can someone confirm we will be able to get off the ship early if I make arrangements onboard?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carol M said:

Thanks so much for your information!  Looks like we will take the shuttle to the bus then to the Civitavecchia Station and then on to Venice with one stop at Roma Termini!  I’m going to go ahead and pre purchase our train tickets.  Can someone confirm we will be able to get off the ship early if I make arrangements onboard?

No way to confirm when you can get off the ship although in Civitavecchia there is usually no problem with the Italian authorities.  Most times there will be no customs or Passport check once you exit the vessel.  As to tickets, the regional trains do not have reserve seats and there is no reason to pre-purchase.  You can buy tickets out of vending machines at the station, at the staffed ticket booth, or at some nearby coffee shops.  You might want to get reserved seats on a train between Rome and Venice.  

Getting off the ship is only one issue.  You still need to wait for a shuttle bus to get you out of the port to the Largo della Pace.  You might have to wait for a bus, or there might be a bus that will just sit at the pier for 10-15 minutes until the driver decides to work.   Also keep in mind that depending on the various tracks at Termii, you might have a 10-15 min walk between trains.

Hank

Thanks, Hank!   A bit confused as I’ve been looking at buying train tickets through raileurope.com and/or  the train line.com and it shows a prepaid ticket from the Civitavecchia Station to Venezia st. Lucia with a 47 min stop at Roma Termini. Should I not do that?

9 hours ago, Carol M said:

Thanks, Hank!   A bit confused as I’ve been looking at buying train tickets through raileurope.com and/or  the train line.com and it shows a prepaid ticket from the Civitavecchia Station to Venezia st. Lucia with a 47 min stop at Roma Termini. Should I not do that?

8 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

If it's a Trenitalia train, buy from Trenitalia

You should have plenty of time as they usually want the last passengers off the ship by 10:00am. To be safe, I would get off by 9:00 and take the shuttle to Lago Della Pace and get transportation to the train station. Worst case is you can do the 20-25 minute walk if you feel the wait time is too long. Better to be at the train station too early than to risk missing the train. If you prebook (my preference) the train tickets, I would also suggest using Trenitalia as your listed sites are third party booking agents. Bring a cable lock to secure your luggage to the rack or sit in an area where you can keep an eye on it. I also suggest reserved seats if they available on the Rome to Venice leg of the journey.

10 hours ago, Carol M said:

Buy from trenitalia.com, not Raileurope. Better prices, usually time discounts. 

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Buy from trenitalia.com, not Raileurope. Better prices, usually time discounts. 

Agree.  As to prepaid tickets, that does make sense for the Rome to Venice leg.  But we would be curious what they are ticketing between Civitavecchia and Rome.  There are several types of trains making this run with the vast majority being regional trains for which there are no reservations.  But, there are also a few higher speed intercity trains that do have reserved seats (at a higher price).  While those high speed trains can save you about 20 min getting to Rome, the trains are coming a long distance before they arrive at Civitavecchia....thus increasing the chance that they will be running late (sometimes very late).  We have seen some cruisers cooling their heels in Civitavecchia waiting for their "fast trains" while several regional trains come and go.

As to 47 min at Termini, that is enough time to make any transfer assuming that your first train is on time.  Just keep in mind that depending on which track is used for the train to Venice, you might walk the equivalent of several city blocks within Termini.  It is a huge station and the trains from Civitavecchia as usually at one of the most distant tracks.  If Euro Cruiser sees this post he might post the track numbers :).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just keep in mind that depending on which track is used for the train to Venice, you might walk the equivalent of several city blocks within Termini.  It is a huge station and the trains from Civitavecchia as usually at one of the most distant tracks.  If Euro Cruiser sees this post he might post the track numbers :).

Yes, the trains from Civitavecchia use Termini platforms numbered in the 20's. Ours was platform #25 on our most recent visit. Check the Termini station map below - note the tracks in the upper right corner numbered 25 through 29 - these are where the Civi trains arrive.

https://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, the trains from Civitavecchia use Termini platforms numbered in the 20's. Ours was platform #25 on our most recent visit. Check the Termini station map below - note the tracks in the upper right corner numbered 25 through 29 - these are where the Civi trains arrive.

https://www.romatermini.com/en/map/

That's what the FCO train use to (or the only/few times I used it.  Yes, it is quite a walk but if you can walk at a decent pace, 10 minutes is enough.  There is a very good place to buy ItalIan (what else) sandwiches and snacks.  I believe it in on the main platform level towards the east side of the station.  Used it to stock up for dinner before out night train to Munich 3 1/2 years ago.

To the OP:

There are a couple of ways to make this simple. Most of the other posters haven't mentioned the fact that there are a few high-speed express trains from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini for your first leg.  The benefits of taking this type of train (rather than the slower Regionale trains) are: 1) you have an assigned seat on a comfortable train with no stops between Civitavecchia and Termini (therefore less worries about your luggage), and 2) the train will arrive at Termini on the main tracks NOT the far-away supplementary tracks where the Regionale trains from Civitavecchia arrive.

These trains (called Frecciabianca on the route from Civi to Rome) currently are scheduled at 9:16 am and 11:16 am.  

From Termini, you want another of the fast trains -- on this route they are called Frecciarossa -- to Venice.  

So you could book:  the 9:16 FB to Roma Termini, which arrives at 10:03 am, then take a 10:35 FA to Venice (Venezia - S. Lucia station).  This timing interval should be fine. The Frecci trains generally run very close to schedule.

There is a similar possible combo with the later (11:16 am) train but I don't see any reason to wait that long to get started....

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY...

The biggest hassle to me is getting myself and my luggage from the ship to the Civitavecchia station, which involves two transfers (port shuttle to port gate, then local bus to station). Plus, once at the station, you may also have to go down and up a flight of stairs to reach the right track. No elevator or escalator.

It would cost more, but you could arrange a private transfer from the ship to Roma Termini station. Cost for two people would be in the range of 120 euro. Then it is a simple matter to get on your train bound for Venice. 

Just something to consider....

After all the above discussion, and I thank you all so very much for all the information, I think I am going to go for the private transfer to Roma Termini.  We are in our seventies and this is our 50th wedding anniversary trip, and hassle is not what I want!

IfI could be so kind to ask for transfer companies I could contact to both get us from the airport on May 11 using a group transfer and then from the Civi port to the Rome terminal via private transfer  on May 20?  I’ve heard of CSE and I think another one, NCC?.  

Appreciate all of you!

Carol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol M said:

After all the above discussion, and I thank you all so very much for all the information, I think I am going to go for the private transfer to Roma Termini.  We are in our seventies and this is our 50th wedding anniversary trip, and hassle is not what I want!

IfI could be so kind to ask for transfer companies I could contact to both get us from the airport on May 11 using a group transfer and then from the Civi port to the Rome terminal via private transfer  on May 20?  I’ve heard of CSE and I think another one, NCC?.  

Appreciate all of you!

Carol 

On the Ports of Call boards, Rome Cabs and Romeinlimo are highly recommended by those who've used them for private transfers.

I have used romashuttle.com for shared shuttle rides from Rome to the port and vice versa. The cost is reasonable for two people (70 euro), although you usually end up sharing the ride with others (so there are more stops).

I should think after a little 'negotiation' with various Unions and whatnot, in my lifetime, the Port Authorities could build a People Mover moving sidewalk from the new Port Drop-off Point to the Train Station. We used to merely walk along the Promenade directly to the Station. Of course, I'm dreaming...

14 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I should think after a little 'negotiation' with various Unions and whatnot, in my lifetime, the Port Authorities could build a People Mover moving sidewalk from the new Port Drop-off Point to the Train Station. We used to merely walk along the Promenade directly to the Station. Of course, I'm dreaming...

LOL, you are right about dreaming.  Consider that even in the USA we cannot build a train line in CA, or simply connect Port Everglades to the nearby airport (FLL) via what you call a "People Mover."   As to walking to the train station in Civitavecchia, that is still possible since the old entrance (by the Fort) is open to pedestrian traffic.  But the last few times we were at the port the internal port buses would not drop folks near that old entrance/exit.

Hank

Clarifying  HOW to get from one's Cruiseship to the Train Station in Civitavecchia and thence onward to the rest of Italy by train is easier DONE than SAID. 1.Your Cruiseship takes you and luggage (No $Charge$) in a Bus from the Gangway to a 'Gathering Point' about 1/2Mile from the Gangway. 2. From that 'Gathering Point' You can hop on a dedicated 'Port Shuttle Bus'  to the Train Station yet another 1/2Mile or so away for about 2Euros p/p. 3. Once in Civitavecchia's Train Station you can board a variety of Trains, including an occasional ExpressTrain...(Yes, with 1 transfer at Trastavere Sta. you can get to the Airport.) 4. If one wants to lug lotsa luggage, do so at ones own peril during Morning Rush Hour..as these Trains are the local's method of getting into Rome. Onward High-speed Trains usually depart from downtown Rome's huge TERMINI Train Station, about 70/minutes (45/miles) from Civitavecchia. I travel with little or no luggage so it's easy. I would NEVER do it if I had 3 large suitcases and a shoulder bag. LocoLoco1 TOM