Passport question: now or later?

Hi all! I am cruising on the Adventure of the Seas April 27-May 5, about 70 days away now. My passport is set to expire June 30th of this year. My travel agent said that passport renewals are taking 2-3 weeks on average, but I am curious if I should just wait to send mine away until after we get back from the cruise? It makes me nervous to send back my current active passport when I am this close to my next cruise date 

10 minutes ago, katiemylady said:

Hi all! I am cruising on the Adventure of the Seas April 27-May 5, about 70 days away now. My passport is set to expire June 30th of this year. My travel agent said that passport renewals are taking 2-3 weeks on average, but I am curious if I should just wait to send mine away until after we get back from the cruise? It makes me nervous to send back my current active passport when I am this close to my next cruise date 

I would wait until you get back.  You've got ample time after the cruise.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

It would depend on where you are going. In most cases your passport must have at least 6 months remaining on it when you travel.

If I was in that situation I definitely would renew it.

The 6 month rule normally does not come into play on closed loop carribean cruises.  We just sailed in January with passports that expired in March.

To the OP I would wait.  If you are concerned bring your birth certificates with you just in case.

Edited by akcruz
Added info
  • Like 1

I am going to say Renew before while it normally does not come into play on closed loop it can. While no one plans on something happening things do. I  had a client go on a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean and unforeseen events happened and they were forced to stay in port when the ship left. Since their Passports expired in less than six months the airport check point would not accept the passport , it was a big hassle for them to get home.  I would renew now , I don't like to take chances like that .

2 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

It would depend on where you are going. In most cases your passport must have at least 6 months remaining on it when you travel.

If I was in that situation I definitely would renew it.

We had the same issue with our son's passport on our Christmas Southern Caribbean cruise on Freedom.  His passport expires this month (February) and we had no problem using it for the cruise.  The 6 month  requirement is if you are leaving the ship on one of the islands (emergency, medical issue, etc.).  He only needed his passport to check in and to return through customs and immigration.  No problem whatsoever.  Wait till you get back.

• Like 1