Dinner companions

I think I probably brought up our bad experience on Seabourn last fall.  We were at a table for 6, and one other couple were also Canadian, but from the left coast; the other couple were American, also left coast.  The American woman insisted on bringing up American politics and one of us said jokingly that religion and politics were better avoided, but she persisted, and really challenged on the issue.  The Canadians were actually on her side, lol.  But she was quite rude, and if we hadn't been almost done, we would have left.  Her companion was embarrassed, he seemed quite pleasant, and remained polite to us for the remainder of the cruise--but we avoided her, and she avoided us.

That's just the luck of the draw.  There was the one couple who were obviously younger and wealthy, who we were invited to dine with the F&B manager, and they treated us like we were low-lifes not worthy of their regard.  People with homophobic remarks, men (mostly) bragging about their money or properties, the wife abuser.  

But these are just a few rare exceptions to an otherwise good track record.  Have we made lifelong friends with many?  No.  But we have had shipboard friendships with quite a few, and have made some lifelong friends that way.  And yes, once or twice it's started in a bar and proceeded to the dining room.

19 hours ago, TWG_ag said:

Let's face it, not every date we ever had worked out, so if you have a couple of stinker dinners, it does not ruin your trip.

Exactly! The benefit of spending some time getting to know new people outweighs the risk of a difficult meal.

On the politics question, the problem that I run into is that if someone asks what I do/did (I'm retired) for a living, the answer not only is a strong clue as to my political leanings, but relates to a subject that inevitably someone wants to discuss and on which many people have strong opinions. I'm accustomed to talking about the topic, but unless I'm in a certain type of mood, generally prefer in this kind of social setting not to do so. So I'll try to steer away from the subject. And, fortunately, at probably 75% of dinners with new acquaintances on Regent the subject of jobs does not come up.

4 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Exactly! The benefit of spending some time getting to know new people outweighs the risk of a difficult meal.

On the politics question, the problem that I run into is that if someone asks what I do/did (I'm retired) for a living, the answer not only is a strong clue as to my political leanings, but relates to a subject that inevitably someone wants to discuss and on which many people have strong opinions. I'm accustomed to talking about the topic, but unless I'm in a certain type of mood, generally prefer in this kind of social setting not to do so. So I'll try to steer away from the subject. And, fortunately, at probably 75% of dinners with new acquaintances on Regent the subject of jobs does not come up.

And the funny thing is - I really don't care about someone's political leanings.  I have my opinions, others have theirs.  I probably won't be able to change their way of thinking in an evening (and don't want to, truth be told) and they sure as hell won't change mine...so it really makes no sense to discuss it - especially across the huge chasm we've created in the US lately.

If asking someone what they do/did for a living is a social faux-pas, I'm probably guilty of it in the past - but I've never pre-judged someone because of their profession.  Mostly just looking for a common thread of discussion.  But yeah, we've run into those people who just do NOT have an 'Off' switch.  Ought to be legal (even encouraged) to stuff a dinner roll in their pie-hole to restore the peace.   :classic_dry:

The way I see it is it really doesn't matter if you're left, center, or right - if you're a decent, fun, respectful person I'll probably get along with you.  If you're not, I won't like you - regardless of your world view.

Stepping down off my soapbox again, sorry...

Ron, at least in South Florida they are not selling well and we are in high season.  We have so many luxury hotels that are far much better that are fully booked until the end of April.

Some lines use the Hyatt downtown Miami which is also close to the port and airport.

Edited by MalbecWine

My husband and I either already arrange to share or request a sharing table at dinner every night.  Sometimes we share a table at lunch, too, especially if we run into someone we've already met onboard or the lunch buffet is particularly crowded.  For us, part of the fun and appeal of cruising is getting to know our fellow passengers, which in turn makes the cruise more enjoyable.  We've had people comment that our "group" always seems like so much fun!  (I'm not sure if they realize that we had never met any of them prior to boarding the ship.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juno56 said:

My husband and I either already arrange to share or request a sharing table at dinner every night.  Sometimes we share a table at lunch, too, especially if we run into someone we've already met onboard or the lunch buffet is particularly crowded.  For us, part of the fun and appeal of cruising is getting to know our fellow passengers, which in turn makes the cruise more enjoyable.  We've had people comment that our "group" always seems like so much fun!  (I'm not sure if they realize that we had never met any of them prior to boarding the ship.)

Exactly!  We've had fantastic, fun times with people we've met - and yes, people often assume we're long-time friends just because of the laughter and lively conversation we've had...and that's after only knowing them a few days!!

That's why I'm such a big fan of CC meet-and-mingles or even informal M&Ms...these get-togethers and shared dining venues are great ways to meet great people.

Sharing a table with passengers on this cruise could be fine ....... or not.   Given what is going on in the U.S., we have walked by many tables where the discussion is politics.  We do share but only with people that we know.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I go on a cruise to relax and lower my blood pressure...

We're the same, I cruise to relax and enjoy the time together.  Do we meet others on the ship, we don't go out of are way, nor do we avoid it.  We've met a few people that we enjoy the time together.  In fact we'll be cruising with friends that we met on one of are last cruises and looking forward to seeing them soon.  Politics depends--if someone wants to give their opinion, OK but they should be ready to hear mine.  If it's  different, let's be civil--if not I'll walk away.

• Like 1