New York Sail Away

divingparent

3 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

The best view of NY skyline will be on the port side ... view of Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island will be on starboard side.

That is true if the ship leaves from Manhattan (usually) - a little different if it were to sail from Brooklyn.

7 hours ago, divingparent said:

But will we have sailed past the sights by then or should I leave it longer to book dinner?

Just book a later dinner in the  Specialties  or go to the GDR or Terrace on that night 

depends on your priorities 😉

• Like 1

With some great luck we secured a 630 table in Polo on Insignia facing aft windows of ship. We had a slightly delayed sailaway out of Manhattan with awesome views in both directions. Most memorable sailaway in 50+ cruises we have taken.

• Like 2

We enjoy sail away from Horizons unless the weather is just fantastic when we’ll go up on the top deck outside. Great views in all directions.

Getting those tables in the rear of Toscana or PG does take great luck and shouldn’t be planned on. After watching the sail away to satisification we go to the GDR on our schedule and our convenience , not some mandated reservations time. Plenty of days for Specialties later on during the cruise. IMO , don’t miss any portion of one of the greatest sail sways because you booked dinner to early!

If you have not sailed out of New York before it is definitely worth staying on deck and watching it. My guess is an open area in back of the ship where yow have at least a 180 degree view.  That way you can see the Statute of Liberty, the New York Skyline from the south, etc.

Aft views on Oceania can be tricky to find unless one has a buddy who has booked an aft facing  Suite. 

The unaffiliated would wind up on the Terrace of the buffet restaurant (an extremely tough ticket),  or up on the jogging track which encircles the smokestack (no seating and windy windy windy).

010606.jpg

I'd recommend Horizons, with its' comfy seating and cocktail service  🍸.

7 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Aft views on Oceania can be tricky to find unless one has a buddy who has booked an aft facing  Suite. 

The unaffiliated would wind up on the Terrace of the buffet restaurant (an extremely tough ticket),  or up on the jogging track which encircles the smokestack (no seating and windy windy windy).

010606.jpg

I'd recommend Horizons, with its' comfy seating and cocktail service  🍸.

Only on the O ships is the walking track there. 

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

Only on the O ships is the walking track there. 

I was mistaken , thank you for pointing it out.

That area around the base of the stack is crew only on the R ships.  

x_012949.jpg

More reason to party in Horizons as one leaves New York Harbor!