Lots of questions!

norwane

Hello~

We are considering going on Ovation next year to Alaska.  It has been awhile since we have cruised with RCI though.  Here are a few questions I have:

- Drink package! (yes, I know it is discussed ad nauseum on these boards!)  I would want it, but my DH is not able to drink, per drs. orders.  I'm guessing RCI requires both adult passengers to purchase the drink package?  Does RCI ever allow exceptions to the rule?

- We fell in love with the aft cabins at the very back of the ship on our last cruise.   On the Ovation, what category are those cabins considered?   Suites or balconies??

- How is the 7 day cruise through Alaska (sailing out of Seattle)?   How is the Ovation?

- When is the best time to book the cruise?  I know they are running a big sale right now.  I also do the MyVegas, game so I would have enough reward points for the 10% off or the OBC, but those rewards would need to be used by the end of 2019.   Do I wait to book until the rewards will be good for next year too??

If we do book this cruise, I'm sure I will have more questions coming, so thanks in advance for your advice!

Thanks!

You can purchase the drink package just for yourself...no problem.

Category for true afts can be either.

Sorry, not crazy about sailing round trip out of Seattle...much prefer a north or southbound itinerary.

Book as soon as you can for pricing and cabin location selection.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever works best for you.

4 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

The bummer about waiting until next year to book, is that the cabin selection will be much more limited.  I booked our Alaskan cruise approx 15 months out, to make sure I got the room I wanted (and, could not use my MyVEGAS points for anything).

And prices will likely be higher and negate any savings by waiting to use the points.

Okay, thanks everyone!  DH would definitely get the soda/water package, so it is good to know he wouldn't have to get the drink package too.   Would it be better to get the drink package right away, in case they raise the prices for next year? 

Also, my son will be cruise by the time we cruise.   How is the teen center?   When he has gone on cruises in the past, he hated the kids area.   should I try to convince (aka bribe) him to go the first day to see if he meets some people he would want to hang out with??

Also, I will definitely need the drink package, as this cruise would also include my ex and current husband!   As long as my ex and I don't discuss politics and money we should be okay.   We typically get along pretty well.  My philosophy is that I love my son more than I dislike my ex.  Or, am I crazy to think I can go on a cruise ship with my ex on board?!

16 minutes ago, norwane said:

Okay, thanks everyone!  DH would definitely get the soda/water package, so it is good to know he wouldn't have to get the drink package too.   Would it be better to get the drink package right away, in case they raise the prices for next year? 

Also, my son will be cruise by the time we cruise.   How is the teen center?   When he has gone on cruises in the past, he hated the kids area.   should I try to convince (aka bribe) him to go the first day to see if he meets some people he would want to hang out with??

Also, I will definitely need the drink package, as this cruise would also include my ex and current husband!   As long as my ex and I don't discuss politics and money we should be okay.   We typically get along pretty well.  My philosophy is that I love my son more than I dislike my ex.  Or, am I crazy to think I can go on a cruise ship with my ex on board?!

If you by the BP now and it goes down you can cancel it and purchase the BP at the lower price. You can do this or even cancel it up to three days prior to your sail date. BP prices constantly change for each cruise. 

Now I'm no Dr. Phil but...

Edited by davekathy

23 hours ago, norwane said:

HAHAHA - I've done 2 cruises with my ex and his wife, and that was before drink packages but the drinks helped!  We did survive and the kids have fun memories of those trips for the most part.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2019 at 11:34 PM, Ashland said:

You can purchase the drink package just for yourself...no problem.

Category for true afts can be either.

Sorry, not crazy about sailing round trip out of Seattle...much prefer a north or southbound itinerary.

Book as soon as you can for pricing and cabin location selection.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever works best for you.

So sorry for any confusion about the drink pkg. yes only one has to purchase the alcoholic one but any one else in the cabin over 21 need to purchase some sort of pkg like soda or refreshment. And at this time you would need to call RCI directly to do this.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

So sorry for any confusion about the drink pkg. yes only one has to purchase the alcoholic one but any one else in the cabin over 21 need to purchase some sort of pkg like soda or refreshment. And at this time you would need to call RCI directly to do this.

The number of people that have reported being able to buy the soda package has been very few and was quite a while ago when this first started.  In the vast majority of cases the refreshment package has been required in lieu of the second delux package.  

When my son was a teen, he would generally go to the first evening's "meet and greet" event, and then he kinda freelanced all week -- sometimes hanging with new friends at the pool, sometimes hanging out at the sport court, sometimes attending teen club events.

• Thanks 1