Celebrity Reflection or NCL Breakaway

Auroa99

We are taking our son who is 14 on a cruise - first time for everyone.

We are looking at the Breakaway on the 28th Dec to Caribbean or the Reflection on the 27th to the Caribbean.

He is sporty - won't go to kids clubs but would engage in activities if he was interested so ideally some kids around his age.

Given it is the break we image both cruises would have teenagers.

We are pretty fussy and would like a positive experience - don't want to feel like we are with hoards of people and that eating in the dining room is like school camp.

We are looking at conceirge class on Reflection or NCL Haven H7.

Any advice would be much appreciated......!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I think you are looking at two very different ships here.  I am not a fan of NCL, but in this case, I would recommend the Breakaway, because I think it would have much more to offer for your teen.  I have never sailed with children, but even if your son does not plan on utilizing the kids club, I read that it is important for him to attend the introductory meeting the first night.  That's like the first day of school, where you meet your cohorts and form groups.  If you don't go the first night, you become the 'new kid'.  I also understand that the teens don't spend much time within the clubs, but use them as a meeting place to plan other activities.  EM

Honestly what you describe is that you and your husband want Celebrity which is going to be a bit more elegant and quiet than NCL.

Celebrity is still very family friendly and Reflection, per the CC overview, does have a basketball court and a teen club with scheduled activities including sporty contests and there will be plenty of kids during the school break. He should have everything he needs. There’s also a bocce court, 2 pools and a fitness center.

Breakaway has more wow features for kids but you’re going to get exactly the environment you said you want to avoid. Don’t give him the option and he’ll never know the difference.

• Like 1

Breakaway is an extremely crowded ship. Walking around, you’ll constantly feel like you’re in hoards of people. The Haven is a nice escape from it, but that’s about it.  However, Breakaway is much better for teens. 

Reflection is a gorgeous ship and not nearly as crowded as Breakaway. Celebrity in general is a far better cruise line than NCL. 

Agree with most of the above :).  It is all about compromise.  Odds are that the teen would enjoy the Breakaway more and that the parents would probably prefer Celebrity.  Family cruisers (especially those who have a lot of cruise experience) face these issues with every booking.    Calling one mass market line better then another is truly subjective.  For example, the entertainment on the Breakaway will be more diverse and better then what you get on Celebrity.  Food in Celebrity's MDR will be superior, but the Breakaway does have some decent cuisine in its restaurants (at a price).  As to feeling crowded, the Breakaway has a space:ratio of about 37 (at full capacity) while the Reflection is about 41.  This is a pretty decent (unbiased) measure of spaciousness although design also has a big impact.  The difference between the two vessels (space wise) is really not too significant.  Whether a vessel "feels crowded" often depends on your personal onboard schedule and where you spend much of your time.  We often felt crowded on the Reflection because the shops were constantly blocking pathways with portable tables hawking all kinds of goods.  Sometimes it felt more like a crowded mall (selling more junk then quality) then a ship.  On the other hand, the Reflection has a very spacious feel if you are in the aft area near Murano.  

Hank

• Like 2

I haven't cruise Breakaway but I cruised her sister ship, Escape.  To say its crowded is an understatement.  I'd have to question that 37 rating.  I have never felt so crowded on a cruise as I did on Escape.  

Personally, I would book Reflection.  But then again, I would be more concerned about the parents' good time, since they're paying, than I would the kid.  I understand wanting him to enjoy himself as well, but I would not sacrifice all the upgrades of Reflection just to satisfy the minor.  JMHO.  😊

Edit...This site puts Breakaway at 30 and Reflection at 34:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

I like Celebrity’s smoking policy, no indoor smoking, the NCL ships I have sailed were like chimneys. 

On Reflection the regular veranda cabins are the same size as Concierge. The perks for Concierge are mostly fluff with many being available to everyone.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Aquahound said:

I haven't cruise Breakaway but I cruised her sister ship, Escape.  To say its crowded is an understatement.  I'd have to question that 37 rating.  I have never felt so crowded on a cruise as I did on Escape.  

Personally, I would book Reflection.  But then again, I would be more concerned about the parents' good time, since they're paying, than I would the kid.  I understand wanting him to enjoy himself as well, but I would not sacrifice all the upgrades of Reflection just to satisfy the minor.  JMHO.  😊

Edit...This site puts Breakaway at 30 and Reflection at 34:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

I think Celebrity is the win-win, particularly for the kiddo's first cruise.  If the parents don't like NCL, there won't be a second cruise anyway.  And I really don't see it as any kind of hardship on the son. Anyone of any age can enjoy being on a really nice ship and Celebrity hardly has an identity of trying to keep families away by any means. Quite the opposite, I would say they quietly court that market.  Looks like X-Club has ping-pong and foosball and, on a late December sailing, should be full of kids he can find to hang around with. 

None of us have discussed it yet, but the sailing they are looking at has 4 port days scheduled: Key West, Georgetown Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. These all offer very active options like paddle boarding, kayak tours, adventure parks with ziplines, snorkeling, bike tours and many others, so if there is any compromise, it can be there, with the parents letting him choose some or all of their excursions.  I'm sure there is enough going on aboard that he can manage to be entertained for 3 sea days.

A little different perspective.  Think about your second cruise afterwards.  Do you want to try Celebrity first, and risk that the next cruise might be a let down?

Or do you want to have a perfectly fine cruise on NCL, then have an even better one on Celebrity later?

When we went to Tahiti, we were happy we stayed on Moorea first before Bora Bora.  Moorea was absolutely gorgeous, but Bora Bora was paradise defined, and had we done BB 1st, Moorea might have felt like a notch down.

• 1 month later...

If you must choose between those two. I recommend NCL. One main reason. The Reflection is not a kids cruise ship. Carnival, Royal and NCL are. However NCL is more for the older kids. Want a great cruise for the 14 year old and you. Go on the Harmony and get the cruise that will take you to COCOCAY. Every day will be an enjoyment and the island is unbelievable to say the least. yes, I also agree. it will take some time to get used to where everything is on that ship. The food us excellent also. However, no matter how many cruises you have been on. It will still take you time to figure it out. If you do go on it. Book the shows immediately. No charge for the shows, but you will get let in when they open and not have to wait till the end. No matter what ship you pick, happy cruising.