Does Anyone Opt Out Of A Possible Cabin Upgrade

LindaMG

13 hours ago, voljeep said:

where is that option when booking directly online with Princess ?

You have to call Princess and ask them to mark the reservation as not upgrade or only a meta-upgrade to a next higher cabin like balcony to mini.  This of course will not prevent them from offering an upsell.  Princess should put this option on the personalizer.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Baystate said:

I've been told that META upgrade doesn't mean much.  A year and a half ago I had a cabin in a location that I loved and had it marked META upgrade only.  Well I got "upgraded", in my opinion, to a very undesirable location.  I called almost immediately after this so-called upgrade happened.  Now the email said that I had 48 hours to decide, but when I called them back to decline I had to fight tooth and nail to get my cabin back.  I spoke with several supervisors and they all confirmed that META just doesn't mean much to them.  They consider it marked upgrade.  They also told me that once the cabin is assigned to someone else it probably will not return to you.  As a result of that incident I now pick my cabin and mark it no upgrade.

Just suggest that give the people assigned to your original cabin the upgrade and put you back into your original cabin.

I just went thru what to me was a VERY frustrating experience.  I booked my 1st guarantee outside cabin an OF. Usually I pick the OC I want but that option wasn't available. 12 days b4 my flight I got the upsell offer & called within 15 minutes. I was called back 4 hrs later. By then there were only 3 balconies available, 1 was obstructed. No Caribe. Picked center ship. Solo upgrade cost $432. 

From now on if I can't pick my stateroom I'm picking a different cruise 

I'm fussy about location, love being on Plaza Deck close to the IC.  On the Royal class, I like Emerald Deck.  I don't want to be on a higher deck as I'm usually on the lower decks.  I rarely ever go to the buffet, not my thing. 

Sailing single, I take inside cabins, certain location, definitely no changes.  I did get an upgrade on a Royal transatlantic when I got to the pier, Emerald deck balcony cabin, instead of inside, same area.  It was great, my TA was surprised, me, too!

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Just suggest that give the people assigned to your original cabin the upgrade and put you back into your original cabin.

I said that over and over to them and they kept saying it's not as easy as that, and I said why not? If the upgrade is so great give it to them

1 hour ago, crochetcruise said:

As I require a Handicapped Accessible stateroom, I ask the Travel Agent to makr the booking-NO UPGRADE.

I'd probably not be chosen because of needing an Accessible stateroom but I take no chances of a fall and possible injury.

I feel kinda guilty because the one I accepted is ADA compliant but I assume those who need it / selected it on booking

20 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What balcony is on Promenade deck on the Crown?

I thought those were only on the Grand/Star/Golden?

The poopy balcony was on Star. We were upgraded to a mid-ship balcony on Aloha. The upgrade from inside to HC balcony was on Crown.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:00 AM, Retired_Army said:

We have our reservations marked upgrade only if it is to a higher room category.  Balcony to a mini-suite or mini-suite to a full suite.  We will not accept in-category "upgrades" from BD to BC etc.  Like you we want the location of our choice and Princess's ideas of an in-category upgrade is not always what we would consider an advantage.

I agree.  We once chose an obstructed view cabin that was not really obstructed at all.  But Princess thought we would like an unobstructed cabin on Plaza deck...the fartherest forward cabin!  We had them change it right back to what we had chosen. 
I wish they would ask before they switch your cabin since what they consider an upgrade is not the same as what we consider an upgrade to be.

21 hours ago, Thrak said:

We've been automagically upgraded twice. Once from a poopy balcony - one of those right on Promenade deck - to a nice midship balcony and the other time from an IF category on Lido to a HC accessible balcony on Caribe deck on Crown Princess. Nice upgrade!

We're booked for the Northern Lights cruise in a Premium Obstructed View (actually has a balcony but it's locked except when in port) and are booked in that category as a gty. There are only 10 of those cabins and they are all booked. We should either get that category or maybe be upgrded to a balcony. One or the other of those things should happen or maybe they will offer us an upsell or a move down. Who knows with Princess.

We have never been offered an upgrade except when they tried to move us to the very first cabin on the plaze deck which we immediately had them switch us back...there was no "offer" per se, they just did it. 
For the Emerald sailing out of Barcelona in Nov. we have a BB gty.  We'll see what happens with that!