Soft Foods, Liquids Available Buffet

Lindaru

Hello!  First time cruiser here.  We will be on Ruby Princess May 11th through May 18th doing the inside passage of Alaska and Canada.  I am slowly in the process of having teeth extracted and will only have seven upper teeth left when we cruise.  I am hoping the buffet has mashed potatoes, cream soups, yogurt, those kinds of things available for our any time dining.  I also love refried beans with sour cream and guacamole.  Can anyone give me an idea what might be available in the buffet and if those kinds of items are available in the MDR at any and all times?

Also, are we allowed to bring coffee and/or tea back to our cabins from those locations?  I do not like the taste of plain water and sip on those all day up until bed time to keep my mouth from drying out.

Thank you!  🍽️

You can bring anything back to your cabin to eat or drink.  No worries.  You can also get room service.

The last time I was at the buffet i did notice that they had mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner.  Yes they have soups for lunch and dinner as well.  They will have yogurt, oatmeal etc for breakfast.

• Like 1

Someone posted something similar recently. Basically - the ship can put anything through a blender if you want.

Just speak to a head waiter. You will find them very accommodating!

• Like 1

Thank you, Cheeseclan, Coral and Colo Cruiser!  I like the idea of them putting anything through a blender, especially if I get a craving for certain flavors.

Looking forward to this cruise!

:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

I am hoping the buffet has mashed potatoes, cream soups, yogurt, those kinds of things available for our any time dining.  I also love refried beans with sour cream and guacamole.  Can anyone give me an idea what might be available in the buffet and if those kinds of items are available in the MDR at any and all times

The ship always has yogurt in the morning (dining room and buffet). If you speak to someone, I am sure it can be available to you anytime. In the main dining room - they can always do mashed potatoes. It seems like afternoons they have guacamole in the buffet. Mashed potatoes are also frequently at the buffet. I have seen cream soups on the menus and they always have alphabet soup (chicken broth) for kids on the menu.

As I stated - just speak with a head waiter. I am sure he will ask what you can eat and want to eat and they will accomodate you during all of your meals. Princess is excellent at this. I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

Thank you again, Coral.  I guess this means I do not need to pack a bunch of "emergency meal" stuff for myself since I can eat any time what I need to.  More room in the luggage for souvenirs!

:classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

Hello!  First time cruiser here.  We will be on Ruby Princess May 11th through May 18th doing the inside passage of Alaska and Canada.  I am slowly in the process of having teeth extracted and will only have seven upper teeth left when we cruise.  I am hoping the buffet has mashed potatoes, cream soups, yogurt, those kinds of things available for our any time dining.  I also love refried beans with sour cream and guacamole.  Can anyone give me an idea what might be available in the buffet and if those kinds of items are available in the MDR at any and all times?

Also, are we allowed to bring coffee and/or tea back to our cabins from those locations?  I do not like the taste of plain water and sip on those all day up until bed time to keep my mouth from drying out.

Thank you!  🍽️

mashed potatoes - check

cream soups - maybe in the buffet, depends on what they're serving. Also, available many nights in the MDR (main dining room)

yogurt - check (grab a handful & take them back to the cabin, store in the fridge), flavors are very limited

ice cream - on Lido near the pools (soft serve) and in the MDR every night

refried beans, guac and sour cream - sometimes. Note: DH had a hankering for guac when it wasn't available in the buffet. I asked if they could make him some and they did (took about  a1/2 hour tho')

• Like 1

Awesome, JF!  Ice cream . . . yes!  I will definitely be hitting that up.  Ice cream is milk and milk is nutritious food.  I actually have made an entire meal from just eating ice cream.  I do not do it often, but every now and then I love it!

🍦

2 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

I will definitely be hitting that up.  Ice cream is milk

I'm not sure the soft-serve on Princess is actually a dairy product.  It usually tastes like watered down non-fat milk, so it could be "milk"....

• Like 3

We were on the CB in February. They had all the above.  We have some dietary needs and Princess has been most helpful. Also, the chef will be happy to assist.

See below - posted on Princess website.

Princess is happy to meet your request for low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar and vegetarian diets. Visit Cruise Personalizer® to indicate your dietary preferences.

In addition, kosher meals and baby food are available upon advance written request. Any other special diet requests must be authorized in advance by the Princess corporate office.

You or your travel consultant must advise Princess in writing of any special diet, allergies or medical needs. Requests must be received no later than 35 days prior to departure for cruises to Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal and Coastal Getaways.  For all other cruises, requests must be received no later than 65 days prior to departure.  Once onboard, please check with the Maitre D' to confirm your request.

Any special dining requests (name brands, daily food order requests, sample menus, etc.) not related to medical or allergy requirements should be directed to the onboard dining staff and is not handled by our Dietary Office.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

Thanks for the heads up, Shmoo!  I am sure if they have toppings available for it or I can put it with cake, I will never notice the difference.

:classic_happy:

They have soft serve near the pool area. With toppings.

In the dining rooms, they have real ice cream (home made) and sherbert. They also have items to make it a sundae in the dining room (chocolate sauce, caramel, etc..). The dessert souffles are very soft and there is always cheesecake and love boat dream (chocolate mousse). You won't go hungry dessert wise.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Thank you, Super Sport.  When we booked, we asked about the special diets.  I did not fall into the allergy or medical, or needing name brand anything.  They just said "there should be something available for you" and left it at that.

Fortunately I am not restricted except for chewing capabilities and you kind folks have put me at ease about finding what I need.

:classic_rolleyes:

Cheesecake and mousse . . . two more weaknesses of mine.  Thanks, Coral!

I was thinking I might not be one of those that gains weight on this trip like others have said, but then again, I just might be!

15 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

Cheesecake and mousse . . . two more weaknesses of mine.  Thanks, Coral!

I was thinking I might not be one of those that gains weight on this trip like others have said, but then again, I just might be!

Oh by the way!  Welcome to Cruise Critic!   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Lindaru, have no fear.  Princess will bend over backwads to make sure you are accommodated.  Please talk to your table captain (ask your waiter to bring him to your table) on the first day, and explain your situation.  He will make sure everything is prepared for you.  I don't personally know if this is possible, but they may even be able to show you tomorrow's menu, have you choose your meal, and blend it for you.  Might be worth a try.

We travel often with our daughter and son-in-law, who are both gluten free, and they bring them the next day's menu every night, have them choose what they want to eat, and have it all prepared gluten free.  Princess is really excellent at helping you enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

Welcome both to Cruise Critic, and Princess.  Hopefully this will be a long-term relationship.  Have a memorable first cruise.

Stan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindaru said:

Thank you, Stan.  As accommodating as they sound, I may just want to sell my house and move on to a Princess Cruise ship!

:classic_wink:

I cannot wait for May to get here!

Ha!  I am already booked on 3 Princess cruises this year, will be spending 49 days with Princess this year.  If I could figure out how to spend more time, I would!  DW Pat and I have been on board Princess ships for more than a year in total, so you know we like it a lot.

Stan

• Like 1

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the number of choices you will find both in the main DR and at the buffet. My husband was just a year out from treatment for throat cancer when we went on our last cruise, and had trouble eating normally due to having had several teeth pulled and the long term effects of radiation. He never came close to going hungry, and enjoyed hot cereals and eggs in the morning, pastas, soups, and some seafoods at lunch and dinner. If there was something he thought he might have trouble eating, but wanted to try, we brought it back to our room. Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

Thank you, SLOlady!  I will remember that, too, about try it and bring it back to the room.  Sometimes I cannot finish everything at the moment and would love to save it for later.

Yes, Stan . . . this is my first time visiting Alaska and am sure we are going to want to come back again.  No doubt I will be dreaming of the next cruise the moment I disembark from this one.

:classic_rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Lindaru said:

will only have seven upper teeth left when we cruise.  I am hoping the buffet has mashed potatoes, cream soups, yogurt, those kinds of things available for our any time dining.  

Might I suggest a different approach (as someone who is allergic to pepper):

1. Meet with the maitre d on embarkation day to get plenty of options specialized for you

2. The frozen drink appetizers are really good and included in your free meal -- ask him to make a different one available for you each night (think virgin pina colada / strawberry margarita / frozen white Russian ect)

3. At dinner, I preorder the following days food

4. Order water in the personalizer ($6.90 for 12 half liters)

5. If you have ship excursions with meals share your limitations so they will accommodate you

It's a cruise! Live it up (I love their cheese bechamel sauce over potatoes 🙂 )

Edited by Ombud
Edited to add: forgot the peach one .... really peachy!
  • Like 1

GARDENone and Ombud . . . we are not doing any of the excursions but going to just walk to where we can get to at all of the ports.  We have been to Victoria numerous times and already have an idea where to go.  Good idea about bringing something I can snack on because no doubt we will be about for hours.

Cheese sauce over potatoes . . . yum!

Thanks!

🤩