Why am I being charged for Free at Sea Gratuities

10 minutes ago, three acts said:

Okay..maybe I'm a little dense but I need some clarification...I'm going on  the Escape in the Fall with a very large group..actually taking the place of someone that had to cancel..so they had already signed up for the free drinks and gratiuties package.

Is the service charge on the gratuities pkg based on how much you drink...cause I'm not much of a drinker..even at 20% I would not rack up a $300+ bill in a week?

Thanks in advance for the answer...I haven't cruised in over 5 yrs and all this is new to me😁

The gratuities are based on the retail price of the package.  Basically the package will cost you $20 a day..if you drink 2 drinks a day, you will break even, after that, it's all in your favor.   You pay this in the final payment...it's all taken care of.  Enjoy your drinks.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

18 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Drinks on us is the old name for the easy package, no difference. Yes, upgrade is $180 instead of $120. Small difference.

As far as cruise fare...just pulled it up again and it’s $2,288 out the door. But that’s also before the 10% + 5% discounts. With those discounts I comes out to just under $2,100. If you want to upgrade drink packages that’s $180 per person so you’re at $2,640 for balcony with upgraded drink package and WiFi. The difference is yours is $1,000 more with airfare and a dining package (only for 2 people).

9C9039CD-A1D0-4698-8214-EAF332367B9B.jpeg

I'm sorry but you're pricing it out wrong.

Go back to the screen you displayed in post #46 and click on the Seaside and then price it out.

That's the only way you get the all in deal.

You keep pricing it without the all in deal.

It is $2608, not $2288.

I am 100% certain of this.

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm sorry but you're pricing it out wrong.

Go back to the screen you displayed in post #46 and click on the Seaside and then price it out.

That's the only way you get the all in deal.

You keep pricing it without the all in deal.

It is $2608, not $2288.

I am 100% certain of this.

There definitely two ways to get pricing on MSC....I ran into this on my 4/27 booking.  I wanted the Easy Package..easy to get the rate without it if you're not careful.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, newmexicoNita said:

OK, here we go again: if you have a coupon for a free dinner at your neighborhood restaurant would you not add a tip to what the meal would normally cost? Of if you have a 50% off coupon you would still tip based on what the meal would cost otherwise I hope. This is the very same thing: the meal or drinks are included but the tip is not. Why is this so darn hard for people to understand? 

BTW so all of you who keep comparing MSC with NCL: remember also they are the new kids on the block trying to break into the American market. They offer prices that the older guys do not, trying to encourage more Americans to sail them. As years go by they too will raise prices and change some of their policies if they can build up a loyal customer base. 

DW and I received a gift card to a local restaurant from a friend and we used it a couple of weeks ago. The server ran the card and handed me the POS gadget so I could sign for the balance on my credit card and leave the tip. The gadget calculated the tip based on the balance remaining after the gift card was applied. I did a manual tip based on the cost of the meal. 

I priced a Celebrity cruise once and the beverage package was included and no tip was charged to the customer. 

1 hour ago, three acts said:

So Dawg...then it will @20% of $140...for a 7 day...just trying to plan ahead..Thanks for the reply

No, you will be paying 20% based on the retail cost of the package, which is $99 per day... you will be billed $140 upon final payment.  You can drink nothing but Pepsi, or you can drink 20 gin and tonics a day, it will be the same cost, zero unless you want to throw a buck or two at the bartender.  This assumes a 7 day cruise.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

50 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

DW and I received a gift card to a local restaurant from a friend and we used it a couple of weeks ago. The server ran the card and handed me the POS gadget so I could sign for the balance on my credit card and leave the tip. The gadget calculated the tip based on the balance remaining after the gift card was applied. I did a manual tip based on the cost of the meal. 

I priced a Celebrity cruise once and the beverage package was included and no tip was charged to the customer. 

I have an 11 day Celebrity Equinox booked this fall, they offered two perks IF you took a certain category of cabin or up, usually ocean view or up...oddly enough, the ocean view cabins are almost the same price as balcony cabins.  They rarely offer them (perks)  on just the insides or on their Transatlantic Cruises...They offered the option to pay $450 PP more and choose all 4 perks, including the upgraded premium beverage package.  

I'm going on my first cruise on NCL in October, and I picked UBP for my perk. While I was surprised when I first saw the gratuity added, it makes sense. To me, it still makes it worth it because I can easily see myself having 2 glasses of wine with dinner, likely drinking much more on the day at sea. At the very least, I'll break even. IMO, they're not being deceptive with the marketing because if they paid the gratuity as well as part of the perk, they're tipping their own staff and that makes no sense to me? Plus, at least the gratuity is paid upfront so I don't have to worry about tipping. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Received all 5 free offers for Guests 1 and 2. In my case Guest 2 does not drink alcohol, Sosa nor juice and will not use the package at all over the 14 night cruise. I as Guest 1 will use the package and am happy to pay the gratuity. I am shocked that a Guest 2 will be charged 20% gratuity for receiving no service. 

39 minutes ago, Darjulian said:

Received all 5 free offers for Guests 1 and 2. In my case Guest 2 does not drink alcohol, Sosa nor juice and will not use the package at all over the 14 night cruise. I as Guest 1 will use the package and am happy to pay the gratuity. I am shocked that a Guest 2 will be charged 20% gratuity for receiving no service. 

Unfortunately, you can’t decline the package for one and keep it for the other. If you have more than 2 people in the cabin, you can switch passenger order to one who would use it. Or, you can decline for both and passenger 1 can pay ala carte.

3 hours ago, Darjulian said:

Seems like Guest 2 is not paying any gratuities and you will be paying 2x gratuities. So, will you drink more than $560 in bar items on your cruise?  If so, take the package. If not, pick another  promotion. 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, Outerdog said:

Give me a break. 

Once upon a time, most of these perks were free as in free. There was no extra cost associated with them beyond what was probably built into the fare.  Now there is extra cost associated. 

A $300 NCL tax does not a free perk make.

Please identify when the free booze and upgraded dining perks came without service fees.  For us, these are the great perks and have reduced our end-of-cruise bill substantially.  And no, cruise fares haven't gone up to the point where they negate the benefits.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wdsted said:

Please identify when the free booze and upgraded dining perks came without service fees.  For us, these are the great perks and have reduced our end-of-cruise bill substantially.  And no, cruise fares haven't gone up to the point where they negate the benefits.

I think it was FREE free for about a week, before that you had to purchase it outright, plus pay the gratuity.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Feelin' Nauti' said:

Don't get it, I picked

Free Unlimited Open Bar + Specialty Dining + Onboard Spend: $50.00

Yet in my summary of Charges on NCL site

they are charging $308.80 for Free At Sea Offer Gratuities.

Can someone please explain.

PS Gov Taxes, fees and port expenses amount stayed the same.

Nothing is truly free. The room cost more to begin with. A sail away price is the cheapest. Same room with free drinks and or specialty dining often cost more sometimes $1,200.00. If one person doesn’t drink that’s significant. Add tips and you can do the math. Also a cruise with many ports affects how many drinks you enjoy onboard. Celebrity didn’t charge extra for tips on free drinks package but room cost more.

It’s all based on personal preference.  I enjoyed the diamond and elite Lounge on RCL and celebrity many times but we’re amazed at the quality and level of activities on recent Ncl gem cruise... Thinking Ncl is in our future a lot.

My wife is a drink free cancer survivor so we can’t justify a free drink package as I’m a beer or 2 drinks guy.

• 1 month later...

Is this the same on cruises booked in the UK? I’ve just booked a package deal with an agent and added the free at sea perks on including drinks and dining. I did not see any additional costs for gratuities? The regular gratuities were not included I was told that and that they weren’t compulsory (I will pay them don’t worry) but no mention of any on the free at sea things?

5 minutes ago, bigjcruiser said:

Is this the same on cruises booked in the UK? I’ve just booked a package deal with an agent and added the free at sea perks on including drinks and dining. I did not see any additional costs for gratuities? The regular gratuities were not included I was told that and that they weren’t compulsory (I will pay them don’t worry) but no mention of any on the free at sea things?

No! hopefully one of our UK cruisers can answer exactly, but I believe due to laws in the UK you can't charge service charge on something and call it free, so they just do a flat fee for all inclusive or something like that. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:39 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

If it works out better, skip the promos and pay for drinks/specialty dining on your own. You can also use OBC if you have it.

If selecting a particular stateroom isn't important, book a Sailaway Rate (if available) and use that savings to pay for drinks/specialty dining.

that's exactly what we do. We usually take the Internet package and excursion credit or the sail away cabin. We don't drink that much so if we feel the need to have a drink here and there it works out better for us.

31 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

No! hopefully one of our UK cruisers can answer exactly, but I believe due to laws in the UK you can't charge service charge on something and call it free, so they just do a flat fee for all inclusive or something like that. 

Oh hopefully! Thank you. 

You're paying for it no matter what.  They either build it into the price of the cruise or they ask you to pay for gratuities. I think it's more honest this way because you can forgo the "free" perk and just pay as you go...with gratuities.  I would spend more than $300 on beverages on a 7 day cruise. 3 drinks a day at approx $15 a drink is $45 multiplied by 7 is $315.  But chances are...I'm drinking more than 3 a day. So in this scenario the "free" perk saves me $15.