Clothes for baby

soozles

We might be a bit crazy, but we just booked a 7 day Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Summit with our baby who will be 8 months at the time. They had a 3rd person free sale, and we got $300 obc, drinks package and gratuities so it worked out to be a better deal than the other more “family friendly” cruise lines. And we can drive to the port, meaning we can take as much baby stuff as needed. 

ive Been doing a lot of reading and I’m well aware of the naysayers on celebrity that think that babies shouldn’t be on the ship. Well, I am not leaving him behind as the whole point of the cruise is to celebrate becoming a family. 

Anyway, what did your baby wear for dinner? He’s only 11 weeks now and I kind of love dressing him up like a little person when we go out. And how many outfits do you pack? Right now I change him like 3 times a day because he spits up or pees on himself while I’m changing him. Does that usually get better as they get older? 

Also not buying anything now, as I have no idea what size he’ll be. He was born 7 weeks early, but is already up to 10.5 pounds, so quickly gaining. 

by 8 months he should be a lot better in terms of spit up or so I hear (we got lucky - DS didn't spit up).

You are a brave woman. Your kid might be sleeping through the night or something, but when DS was 9 months old, DH and I escaped on a cruise without him just so that I could get some sleep. :)

I wouldn't start packing just now. He is only 3 months old, and you have 5 more months to evaluate the situation and his size. Too early to pack. I'd concentrate on packing the diapers and wipes instead of outfits. :)

Never was brave enough to sail prior to my kids being eligible for daycare, but on your next cruise pack some lightweight polyester shorts and shirts.  They are really easy to hand wash with shampoo in the shower, and will dry nicely in the bathroom.  That way you'll have backup clothes since you can reuse them.  The infant sleepers might be a bit harder to hand wash.

Like I said, might be crazy, but we really want to celebrate being a family, and we weren’t sure we would get a passport in time to have gone to Aruba to use my husbands family time share. We are adopting him, and so we won’t get his amended birth certificate until after finalization, which is in a couple months, and we need that birth certificate to get a passport. So we decided on a cruise. It’s fitting since we found out we were matched the day before we left for a cruise. We waited a long time to become a family, so even though it won’t be the most relaxing vacation, I’m looking forward to it more than any other. 

• Like 2

DD was 9 month old on her first cruise. We took a whole suitcase full of clothes and everything Else she might need and still had to hit a store along the way as she had a growth spurt.

Bring plenty of everything, clothes are easy in warm climate, but prepare to either Hand wash or sent Out some clothes. We went through three outfits a day due to food or other accidents.

Diapers might be hard to get so pack your Brand and size. Also bring any medicine your little one might need.

And no, you are not crazy to go in a cruise with a Baby. DD is 4 now and we have taken five cruises as a Family. The most relaxing vacation for us.

Diapers and wipes will not be a problem in Bermuda....you're not going to a third world country.  Pack the disposable stuff in a collapsible tote that you can fold up to take home - or stuff with dirty laundry.  Celebrity doesn't have self serve laundries, but they might have a bag special one day.  EM

First of all,  congrats on the adoption!! Every baby is different but usually spit up gets better around 6 months.  My oldest did not spit up much,  my youngest (now 10 months) it was more like throwing up multiple times a day with change of clothes needed for both of us... it did get better around 5 months but did not fully stop until about 8 months.  

My oldest was 15 months when we took him on a cruise, about a month before I kept track of the amount of diapers and wipes he went through in a week.  Packed that much plus 2 extra things of wipes and about 3 extra diapers per day and another handful just in case! He was allergic to dairy so I wanted lots of extra in case he ended up having something with dairy by mistake.  I packed about 3 outfits for him per day, younger then a year I took 5 per day on trips (he had soooo many blow outs, and would pee through like crazy). My youngest rarely has a blow out or pees through so 2 maybe 3 would be more then enough. 

If you haven't started baby wearing yet,  try it out.  It is awesome especially for getting on and off the ship when it's very crowded.  You might want to get a nice umbrella type stroller,  ours is bigger then a normal one but sill folds up like an umbrella one. Its taller for my husband that is 6'4 and our boys are also tall for their age.  It also reclines pretty flat for naps and we used it for diaper changes in port many times. 

Edited by horsegal
  • Like 2

We took DD at 8 months on a 5 day cruise and everyone had a great time. It seemed the entire crew and fellow cruisers knew her by the second day. 

On the topic of clothes,  We brought a few sleepers, onies for the day time and nicer outfits for dinner. I packed outfits in plastic baggies then just had another bag with extras that we could pull from if needed. 

She had her own suitcase which we were able to get all of her supplies as well as clothes in it. I also brought her Pack n Play from home. I did buy a duffle bag that it would fit into so I could put it on my back to get off the ship with self assist. 

I agree with horsegal and wearing the baby is the way to go,  but we also asked a friend for a caddy for her infant car seat and used that as a stroller. We thought that she would be familiar with it plus if we wanted to get into a cab she had her car seat. 

We also brought a shoe organizer to organize all of DD's stuff. It was nice to reach in and grab what we needed.

For us, the dining room was too long. We tried but the hour and a half was too much for our DD.

• Like 1

We took our daughter to a Cuba cruise when she was 8 months. She went on her first trip when she was 6 weeks to Waikiki. 

I always bring more diapers than I needed just in case. We went to Asia for 2 weeks in January and did the same even though that took up a lot of space. My rationale is that as we use the diapers, I make room for stuff to bring back.

As for clothing, she wore cute dresses for the MDR. I wash some onesies along the way and they dried easily in the cabin. I wore her on the cruise at 8 months though we did bring the stroller for when we were on Miami and for airport.  We brought our own carseat.

I was nursing the first few trips (Hawaii and Japan) so that was easy. But Miami and Cuba was the first trip when she ate. I thought about having baby food delivered to the ship but the cheap side of me won out. I went to Publix in Miami to stock up before the cruise. We also found food in the MDR (mostly soups) and buffet (yogurt) that she could eat. We never needed to ask them to puree food for us.  She had many first real food on that cruise like lobster bisque!

I have a Cosco Scenera Next travel carseat and a Summer Infant 3Dlite stroller. The carseat nests in the stroller best in the recline mode and I secure with bungee cords if she is riding in it. Most of the time I wear her and push the stroller with the carseat and a bag. 

I did not pay for a seat on the plane for her at 8 months and earlier but did on all trips after that. She was getting very hard to handle on my lap and carrier for the flight at 8 months. She sat in the carseat on our recent flights to and from and around SE Asia.

As for sleeping, we had a small OV cabin on our Cuba cruise but a pack n play still fit. But it made the cabin very cramped. We ended up sending it back. Baby and I slept on bed and hubby on the Pullman bed above. 

She is a very social baby and everyone loved her. The MDR staff was amazing. Many of them have kids at home and visiting with her made them happy. They would show me their kids photos. She was able to sit through the dinner. She also loved the live music. We were out with her in the carrier after dinner and she clapped and sang along. 

Edited by chinita415
  • Like 2

Ignore all the naysayers who say babies shouldn't go on cruises. We took both of our boys the first time at about that same age and it was wonderful - for all of us! We took two sets of clothes for each day - and it was plenty. For supper we dressed them in shorts and a clean shirt. Feel free to do whatever you'd like. Most cruise lines are pretty lenient with babies and dress code. Have a wonderful time!!

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Babies may wear whatever you want them to...no need to "dress them up" in formalwear!  They are BABIES!  A onesie is fine!

My parents were shopping the other day at century 21 and they saw a little tuxedo one piece that he is going to rock on one of the elegant nights. It even has little coat tails in the back

IMG_0514.JPEG

• Like 2

It is adorable! Yea a baby in whatever will be fine. But fun to dress up. Most people will love seeing him.  There was only one other infant on our cruise last August so they both got a lot of attention. 

We are off to Mexico in a few weeks over spring break so there should be a boat load of babies and kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Celebrity, but we just cruised with an 11 month old. Totally doable. I dressed him mostly in rompers and a few short/t-shirt combos. Only 1 or 2 outfits per day. My kids were never spitters, though I hear that gets better around 6 months. We got him a plaid collared romper for formal night. It was much more fun dressing up my 3 year old because she loves to dress up. 

Get baby used to sleeping in a pack n play. Mine ended up co-sleeping most of the time. He would NOT sleep in the hotel pnps at all. Carnival has actual mini cribs and he did sleep in that for 3-5 hours per night before joining us in bed.

If baby is crawling, but not walking (very likely scenario at 8 months) try to find somewhere everyday to let him crawl around. My son got super restless on days when he was in a baby carrier or stroller a lot.

Eat in the main dining room as much as you can. The buffet is kind of a pain with a baby (and toddler in our case). We had to have DH find a table with the kids, then I would go get their food and drop it off. Then I would go get my food,and when I got back DH would take his turn getting food. Better to just be waited on in the MDR 🙂

We took DS1 at 9 months old and just booked DS2’s first cruise when he’ll be 12 months old. I take a babygro for each night, a vest for each day, and three tops for every two days which seems to be about right. We’ve been on P&O and Cunard so been able to put DS1 in night nursery and have adult only dinners, but when we have taken him for dinner we’ve had him in a tuxedo for formal night (pictures!)