New to Celebrity

cheeseclan

Hello,

We are jumping ship from Princess (elite members), too many problems on this last cruise,  to try Celebrity next January.  We will be on the Reflection in an aqua class cabin.  I was told that we get the same benefits as the concierge class as well as the AQ benefits.  We have the select dining, beverage package and OBC.  Might change the deposit to non refundable to get the free gratuities as well.  We will have our own insurance to cover everything anyway.

What can you all tell me about the AQ cabins, Blu restaurant and the ship in general?  Anything of importance I need to know?

I am reading about there being discounts to other restaurants on the first night. Is this true?  We would like to try one or maybe 2 different ones on the cruise.  Please fill me in.

I am sure i will have more questions as time goes on so TIA.

Edited by cheeseclan

The Reflection is one of our favorite ships.  AQ cabins are great, and the showers are reportedly better than in other types of cabins.  You should try to get a cabin located under other cabins, rather than under a public space like the pool.  

To us, the big advantage to Aqua is eating in Blu.  I believe concierge gets a boarding day lunch that Aqua does not get.

They usually do offer Aqua class a discount in speciality restaurants on the first night.  In the past, we have received 50% off.  

Reflection is an elegant, lovely ship, my favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet though I have yet to try Edge. I hope you enjoy it too.

We usually do take advantage of the first night discount in premium restaurants. But it can get even better than that. For example, we ate in the Lawn Grill the first night once and the waiter offered us a discount to come back again!  I'm not saying this will always happen, but it could. 

Also, another thing you might enjoy is Murano on one sea day, usually the last sea day, offers lunch at a great discount from the evening price. It is not the full menu, however, but still very nice. Often, though not always, an acoustic duet, such as a cellist and violinist will play adding to the enjoyment.  Make reservations early for this because this does often sell out.

When we sailed Symphony in late January, they offered a special lunch on the lawn one sea day. I didn't care much for the menu but it sounded like a very nice event for those who would like the choices...mostly sea food. I'm not saying this same offer will be available on your cruise.

What is available seems to vary from ship to ship, cruise to cruise.

Since you are in Aqua your assigned dining room is Blu which is the main reason most book Aqua Class.  Blu is smaller and quieter than a MDR and has its own daily menu.

Aqua Class also includes access to the Spa & Persian Garden.  On the Reflection the Aqua Class cabins are the same size and decor as a regular veranda but the shower has body jets and the  mirror is anti fogging.  

If you look look at the Cruise Planner for your reservation you will see under dining a discounted price for some of the speciality restaurants on the first night.  Our favorite on the Reflection is the Lawn Grill with Murano a close second. 

57 minutes ago, cheeseclan said:

I was told that we get the same benefits as the concierge class as well as the AQ benefits.  

I do know that Concierge Class after boarding gets to eat lunch in one of the main dining rooms instead of the buffet but this is not true of Aqua Class or Suite passenger.  They may have other options instead but I am not sure.

You might wish to go to the Celebrity website and find if there are more differences.

We just returned from Reflection in Aqua class. Blu is very nice and service is outstanding. We were offered 50% off specialty dining the first night. I suggest you take it. The first night menu in Blu is not that great unless you love fish. Aqua class gets to board just after or with suites, so early boarding.

Edited by 39august

I like Blu because you avoid the chaos at the buffet and the long waits in the mdr.  To me that is the biggest thing and is why we sail on Celebrity and will be doing so again very soon on the Reflection.   As someone mentioned a few posts up we are going to do Lawn Club Grill the first night so we can be real lazy!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

What can you tell me about storage in the cabin?  I see the closet but not much in the way of drawers.  I do see a cubby above the bed.  Is that for clothes?

Storage is a drawback on the ship.  Yes, the area above the bed is a nice storage area.  There are, I believe, 4 drawers and they are small.  You can fit your suitcases under the bed and I use them for storage as well.

Stay away from Blu on the first night if you can.  Blu is more crowded on the Reflection and it can be chaotic on the first night.   We had a bad experience on that ship the first night.    The menu in Blu is more limited than the MDR.  We review the menus and may have an evening meal at the buffet (check out the nightly theme) and a Specialty Restaurant.  Food is usually an upgrade on the Evening Chic nights in Blu.

For us, Blu is the reason we love AQ.   As others said, we already booked first night in a speciality restaurant for our coming cruise as it is a bit chaotic first night.   We LOVE Blu breakfast which is a calm start to the morning and every dinner we have ever had was great.