Suite Guests - How to you utilize your Butler?

eryde

We really didn’t use our Butler for anything.   I don’t feel comfortable with someone doing something for me that I can do myself and many times faster without waiting around.

in the morning it was very easy to get a Americano from Cafe al Bacio when we walked past going to breakfast and on the way back to our cabin.  The Butler seen us coming back to our cabin with our coffees and basically demanded to carry them for us.  He asked what it was and I said Americano and he said he would deliver it every day.   I agreed.  The next morning he was ringing out doorbell with two pots of regular coffee.   I asked if it was Americano and he said yes.  It was regular coffee.  He meant well but didnt understand the difference. 

Seen me carrying a drink.  Again demanded to carry it for me.  Asked what it was and I said a Woodford Reserve Old Fashion.  He asked what that was and I said it was a bourbon drink.     He said he will have one in the cabin every evening.  That evening  there was a Manhattan glass filled with Jack Daniels neat.  

Next day when he seen me he asked if it was ok and I thanked him but said I didn’t need it.   It was there every night.   He meant well but didn’t understand what the drink was. 

If I wanted to make a reservation I would rather do it myself instead of trying to do it thru a 3rd party and not get it right.   I guess if I had any problem than I may have got the Butler involved to see what he could do but never had that problem.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Just to put it out there (flameproof cape on) .... there is absolutely no need to think that you are expected to tip your butler extra. As with almost every other category of service onboard - they are already compensated through automatic gratuities. It is a personal matter, and if you feel that you received service above and beyond what would be expected of a butler (whatever that means), by all means, open your wallet. Or if you are the cruiser who tips everybody for just doing their job - go for it.

Edited by sippican

We'll be in our first suite in May, and I'm reading this thread with great interest.  I guess I'll figure out along the way what we want/don't want.

But I have a couple of very basic questions...what hours do the butlers work?  If we wanted coffee at 6 am is that a problem?  How do you contact your butler?  Is there a button on the phone?  (some people said they "couldn't find" him so wondering if you have to go walking around looking for him?).

We're in the Sky Suite right next to the PH, so we'll either get a good butler or one who is so monopolized by the PH we'll be overlooked - either way since it's our first time we don't have a whole lot to compare it to.

And I too was shocked by the comment about the SS treatment in Luminae.  

2 minutes ago, sippican said:

Just to put it out there (flameproof cape on) .... there is absolutely no need to think that you are expected to tip your butler extra. As with almost every other category of service onboard - they are already compensated through automatic gratuities. 

[Insert Flame here] 

Yes, you should tip your butler.  But not because you're expected to, but because it's the right thing to do. 

The $4.00 per day they receive from you from your charged tips is like a waiter who earns $3.65 per hour as a tipped rate and is really working for their gratuities to support themselves.  If good butlers can't support themselves by gratuities, the quality of butlers will continue to decline until the positions are eliminated becasue they can't find people to do the job up to standard.  So if a butler is taking care of you, use their services, and tip them decently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

We'll be in our first suite in May, and I'm reading this thread with great interest.  I guess I'll figure out along the way what we want/don't want.

But I have a couple of very basic questions...

what hours do the butlers work?  The normal hours for ours was from 6 am to 10 pm

If we wanted coffee at 6 am is that a problem?  No, just ask your butler.

How do you contact your butler?  Is there a button on the phone? There is a "Butler" button on the phone

We're in the Sky Suite right next to the PH, so we'll either get a good butler or one who is so monopolized by the PH we'll be overlooked - either way since it's our first time we don't have a whole lot to compare it to. You'll be fine.

And I too was shocked by the comment about the SS treatment in Luminae.  Don't worry. I'm sure there was a back story associated with their personal experience. As others have noted over and over, be prepared to get spoiled by the Luminae wait staff and the wonderful dishes they bring, especially their fabulous chocolate desserts!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

12 hours ago, George C said:

Totally disagree our service in luminae was perfect and no issues with ice or anything else in our sky suite last year on summit, will be doing both sky and celebrity suite this month on infinity and doubt we will have any negative issues. 

George, all I'm saying is if you have never experienced the Outstanding Butler service from staying in a PH suite you would not understand. PH suites is all we've had while on Celebrity, before we both retired. The Butlers for those suites are more in tune to your needs and wants even without asking. Our butler's would take notice that my DH liked a morning ice coffee and when he noticed him going to get it each morning, he started bringing them to him without asking, he also noticed we would go and get cocktails everyday around the same time and bring them back to our suite to drink while getting ready for dinner. The butler took note and also would bring us those each day. We have been spoiled by the Fantastic service of PH suites, that we really notice the difference in the lower end suites.

On our last Eclipse cruise our Butler also sat us down to give us his sad story, on how he has way to many suites, and how he was spread to thin... Like I said he was useless, our room steward felt bad and he was doing the butler's job without even being asked. I mentioned in my survey that maybe him and the butler should switch place because he was outstanding and the other was useless. Oh but he came around the last day to check on us and to see if he could do anything for us, wanting his tip. The extra tip we gave to the steward.

Also that same cruise in Luminae, the Maitre d’ ignored almost everyone except the same few people, his assistant took great care of us each and every night, he never stopped by our table, in fact the first night he like our useless butler proceeded to tell us what time we need to come for dinner each night, otherwise will will have to wait. His assistant got his tip.

Conclusion, all butler's are different, and I solely believe the upper suites are no comparison to the lower end suites in the way you are treated and the customer service you recieve. We use the butler less than those that posted about sitting them down with a list of things they would like done or brought to them. A real Butler should pretty much know what you want without asking, or they should be asking you what they can do to make your trip more enjoyable. I know how most on here are cheerleaders for Celebrity, but I have my opinion and flame away if you don't like it! Everyone is different and has different wants and needs and I realize that the service can't be the same all over the ship, that is why those not in a suite hate that they feel excluded from what the suite class get.

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

16 minutes ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

A real Butler should pretty much know what you want without asking

Agreed

A butler should be able to anticipate needs and offer ways to make your cruise more enjoyable.  Many guests may have no idea how to utilize a butler.  A butler who says "I'm here for whatever you need" is often confusing to people who have never had a butler before.  Butlers have training and understanding of what services they can offer.  And they should bring you things which you may like.  Perhaps it might be some cold chilled water, cold face cloths and fresh fruit skewers while you're lounging at the pool or if the butler knows what you like to drink, they can get you your favorite cocktail while you're getting ready for dinner.  Or after talking with you, handle your dinner reservations and show seats if they know what you have planned.  Maybe a butler can even get you a seat at a poker tournament, if that's what you like.  Anticipation and not waiting to be asked, is what I'd want in a butler.  It shouldn't be my role to think of things they can do.  They already know what they can and can't do.

Now I want to upgrade to the Penthouse. 

26 minutes ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

Also that same cruise in Luminae, the Maitre d’ ignored almost everyone except the same few people, his assistant took great care of us each and every night, he never stopped by our table, in fact the first night he like our useless butler proceeded to tell us what time we need to come for dinner each night, otherwise will will have to wait. His assistant got his tip.

If I might ask, what time did you usually go to the Luminae for dinner? We got there every night at 5:15 when it opened and we always got our table for 2 by the window and were treated like royalty, whether it was by the hostess, Maitre d' or our head waiter and staff. However, by the time we left, usually around 6:40 so we could make it to the early show and sit in our favorite seats, the place was hopping and folks were starting to line up at the entrance. If you usually came around 7, then I can understand why the Maitre d' might not have time to stop by and say hi. But, if you came around 6 or before when there wasn't a lot of folks, then that would be a little weird. But, then, we really didn't care if we saw the Maitre' d or not as our head waiter and sommelier were the two people we were most interested to chat with. But that's just us.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

37 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, what time did you usually go to the Luminae for dinner? We got there every night at 5:15 when it opened and we always got our table for 2 by the window and were treated like royalty, whether it was by the hostess, Maitre d' or our head waiter and staff. However, by the time we left, usually around 6:40 so we could make it to the early show and sit in our favorite seats, the place was hopping and folks were starting to line up at the entrance. If you usually came around 7, then I can understand why the Maitre d' might not have time to stop by and say hi. But, if you came around 6 or before when there wasn't a lot of folks, then that would be a little weird. But, then, we really didn't care if we saw the Maitre' d or not as our head waiter and sommelier were the two people we were most interested to chat with. But that's just us.

We really aren't early diners but since the Maiter D made such a big deal about us coming early we did. It was between 5:30 and 6:00 each night, he just was not very friendly except to those he knew or wanted to get to know. Our waiter was wonderful and very personal and so was the sommelier and the rest of the staff.

We are very much looking forward to our next cruise on the Reflection, and we always have a wonderful time no matter what!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

This is a great thread!  Thanks to Eryde for starting it!  

This is our first Celebrity cruise and first time in a suite. We are in a Sky Suite because I didn’t think we really needed all the extra room of the larger suites. Time will tell! 😁

Anyway, this will also be our first time with a butler as well.  We had no idea how to use one. I wouldn’t use one for packing or unpacking because I have my own way of doing that.

I like the idea of cheese and shrimp cocktail in the afternoon!  I will have to remember to let him/her know what kind of fruit we like. I hate to see it go to waste. We might like breakfast on our balcony. I always think room service for that. Should we use the butler for that. 

Do they bring drinks?   Did I understand that correctly. That would be lovely. I think I will like having them make reservations for dinner. Do you just tell them, We would like dinner in the Tuscan Grill at 7pm?” Is that how it works?

We don’t have a lot of needs, but the little nicities will be appreciated. How do you contact them?  Is there a desk or a special phone number?  

We are really newbies at this. 

I’m so looking forward to this cruise. It’s a new experience all around. New cruise line, new ship, first time in a suite, and a completely new itinerary - no repeat ports. Also it’s our first time sailing from Fort Lauderdale. And it’s over a year away!  Good thing we have other cruises to while away the time 😍

He will bring you drinks if you order them from room service, which you will be charged for. Beverage packages don’t cover in cabin drinks, nor the mini bar in your cabin. Mini bar is ncluded for those sailing in a royal suite or higher.

5 hours ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

A real Butler should pretty much know what you want without asking, or they should be asking you what they can do to make your trip more enjoyable. 

I think you are expecting a bit too much....

In our significant experience of butler service on Celebrity our experience is of ‘good butlers’ who do all that you request and ‘exceptional’ that do seem to be able to anticipate those “little extras” that can make a Cruise special...If you are in a top suite the butler may have additional information to help ‘personalise’ your cruise from the shore side concierge or the Michael’s host.

We generally cruise RS with a few PH suites. We have never expected our butlers to be clairvoyant...With some guests wanting their privacy to be respected, others wanting just the odd thing and some expecting to be waited on hand and foot how do they work out exactly what you want? 

We firmly believe that that it is only by explaining to your butler what you do and don’t want that they can really do their best for you. 

• Like 4

We have experience with both ends of the spectrum.  First butler we had on Reflection was worse than useless.  I called him about ordering room service and if we could order from MDR menu and he asked me to dial room service line and room service line said just whatever was on TV.  Food was brought to us by whoever handled room service - kitchen staff presumably.  Our friend who had the same butler did not get his daily coffee which was repeated to the butler several times.  We had an great stateroom attendant who got both his and the butler's share of extra tips from us.  

Fast forward we had the best butler this past Dec on Millennium.  We were in S1 next to the penthouse and he also took care of the penthouse suites.  I asked how many suites he took care of and he said 10.  We had a shower issue which we reported to the stateroom attendant who promptly informed the butler who then also got the butler manager involved.  They were all over it.  He then asked if he could book us a complimentary dinner at a specialty restaurant.  We accepted the offer and the reservation was made.  We had 2 bags of laundry, all tops and pants came back ironed and hung - no extra charge!   He received a large extra tip from us.  Oh, we also picked up a bag of his favorite cashew nuts at Halong Bay.  We love this guy.  On disembarkation, he helped us with our luggages off the ship as we always take ours with us instead of leaving them out the night before.

In Luminae, we have not observed differential treatment of the guests due to the type of suites that they are in.  Service is always fabulous.

Edited by CEOofVacation
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

<my snip>

A Everyone is different and has different wants and needs and I realize that the service can't be the same all over the ship, that is why those not in a suite hate that they feel excluded from what the suite class get.

Hi, I just wanted to respond to that last sentence... I've never been in suite (will be in my cruise)  but I can honestly say I've never felt "excluded? or "hate" the perks that suites get.    People are paying for that feeling of exclusivity & more personal service.   

We were in a very basic balcony cabin on our last cruise, a semi obstructed on deck 7.  We probably had the best service/experience on that cruise ever.  It was first time in a while that we weren't in AQ class.  

When we fly & I've paid for an upgraded experience it's very nice, & I have a certain level of expectation that we'll have a much more luxurious experience.   But when we go on a short flight & fly coach, I don't begrudge first class their perks.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi, I just wanted to respond to that last sentence... I've never been in suite (will be in my cruise)  but I can honestly say I've never felt "excluded? or "hate" the perks that suites get.    People are paying for that feeling of exclusivity & more personal service.   

We were in a very basic balcony cabin on our last cruise, a semi obstructed on deck 7.  We probably had the best service/experience on that cruise ever.  It was first time in a while that we weren't in AQ class.  

When we fly & I've paid for an upgraded experience it's very nice, & I have a certain level of expectation that we'll have a much more luxurious experience.   But when we go on a short flight & fly coach, I don't begrudge first class their perks.  

Totally agree , never knew about suite perks or cared until we started cruising in them and first suite cruise was a upgrade. I am sure you will have a blast in your first suite cruise. Only problem is after doing suite it is difficult to go back. Same as flying first I love the perks. Was just talking to wife about some of our great memories in tiny inside cabins.

Ten years ago or so on Summit we got the now-extinct upgrade fairy visit to an SS.  Our butler was good, and despite it being so long ago I remember one unique request.

One afternoon we were out on the balcony and had closed the door behind us.  Thanks to some loose internal hardware in the door, it actually locked DW and me out!  Thankfully we had wine and snacks...  I mean our neighbors were out on their balcony.  We asked them to call our butler for us.

When he arrived he was quite worried and agitated.  His immediate response in a stern tone- “Who did this to you?”

then we had kids and took a hiatus from cruising, but we return this year- in a CS and my parents along with us in an SS.  (and the kids along for the ride in less luxurious accommodations).

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

You are correct in the upper suites we have had excellent service, and had some wonderful Butlers, but on out last CS & S1 it seems like they are overwhelmed or not trained well,  and our service was non existent. No ice the first day, fruit rotted before taking away, he didn’t bring our breakfast, room service did. Our room steward felt bad for us and did more for us than he did, so we tipped him the butlers tip. We had to hunt the Butler down, he was non existent. Terrible service at least in the lower suites on the Summit and the Eclipse. We are maybe spoiled because we’ve always cruised in PH suites in the past before retiring, and now service is definitely nonexistent in the lower suites even Luminae treats you like trash if you are in a CS or sky suite. Just wait it will change when you downsize, at it that was what we noticed on our last two cruises. We shall see what happens on our upcoming Reflection cruise. 

Completely disagree with this, we've been in CS many times in the last few years and our butlers have been wonderful.  Sounds like you hit a bad one but ours took care of everything we asked and more.  Luminae was also wonderful to us, have never noticed  a difference in service when we've been in a CS or RS.  

• Like 1

Hi All,

I hopes of not slowing this great thread down I wanted to send my thanks to all who have commented.  This is just the type of info I was hope for.

Cheers Eric

(Eryde OP)

15 hours ago, George C said:

Totally agree , never knew about suite perks or cared until we started cruising in them and first suite cruise was a upgrade. I am sure you will have a blast in your first suite cruise. Only problem is after doing suite it is difficult to go back. Same as flying first I love the perks. Was just talking to wife about some of our great memories in tiny inside cabins.

that's what my husband said after I told him about our little upgrade, 'That's nice, but are you going to be able to go back to a regular balcony after this?'   I think we'll be fine :)   We cruise for the travel, the ship is just a nice way of getting to see the world.... and being able to drink a little wine at night without worrying about driving ;)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Love2Cruise081382 said:

Can someone explain "shore side concierge" for me? 

We are Diamonds on RCI but this is our 1st Celebrity cruise (Equinox) and have booked a suite. 

For those booked in a Celebrity, Royal or Penthouse suite on Equinox the shoreside concierge will contact you a few weeks ahead of the cruise to find out if there is anything you may want in your suite, help you with reservations, set up your beverages if you are in a Royal or Penthouse suite, among other things.  You are not contacted if you are in a Sky Suite. 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

George, all I'm saying is if you have never experienced the Outstanding Butler service from staying in a PH suite you would not understand. PH suites is all we've had while on Celebrity, before we both retired. The Butlers for those suites are more in tune to your needs and wants even without asking. Our butler's would take notice that my DH liked a morning ice coffee and when he noticed him going to get it each morning, he started bringing them to him without asking, he also noticed we would go and get cocktails everyday around the same time and bring them back to our suite to drink while getting ready for dinner. The butler took note and also would bring us those each day. We have been spoiled by the Fantastic service of PH suites, that we really notice the difference in the lower end suites.

On our last Eclipse cruise our Butler also sat us down to give us his sad story, on how he has way to many suites, and how he was spread to thin... Like I said he was useless, our room steward felt bad and he was doing the butler's job without even being asked. I mentioned in my survey that maybe him and the butler should switch place because he was outstanding and the other was useless. Oh but he came around the last day to check on us and to see if he could do anything for us, wanting his tip. The extra tip we gave to the steward.

Conclusion, all butler's are different, and I solely believe the upper suites are no comparison to the lower end suites in the way you are treated and the customer service you recieve. We use the butler less than those that posted about sitting them down with a list of things they would like done or brought to them. A real Butler should pretty much know what you want without asking, or they should be asking you what they can do to make your trip more enjoyable. I know how most on here are cheerleaders for Celebrity, but I have my opinion and flame away if you don't like it! Everyone is different and has different wants and needs and I realize that the service can't be the same all over the ship, that is why those not in a suite hate that they feel excluded from what the suite class get.

Well, my experience has been distinctly different from yours.  Yes, I've experienced excellent butler service in the penthouse and in a royal suite.  I've also experienced excellent butler service in a sky suite.

I have noticed absolutely no difference in Luminae or Michael's based on what type of suite I happened to be sailing in.

And--gasp!--I have also received excellent service from cabin attendants in regular cabins.  Best cabin attendant I ever had was in an OV.  

I really don't think that "those not in a suite hate that they feel excluded from what the suite class get."  Having sailed both ways and talked to lots of people, I've never heard that from anyone but you.  Many if not most people who sail in regular cabins have no idea what suites get and have no interest in being jealous.  They're too busy enjoying their cruise.

• Like 4