Oceanview Guarantee?

jbethel11

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, jbethel11 said:

There is an option for an Oceanview Guarantee on the 5 Day Western Caribbean Paradise sailing Aug 26th, 2019. As a VIFP Member, what are my chances of getting an upgrade to a Balcony for 4? Thanks!

Hi

You save a little booking a guarantee cabin, because you are allowing them to pick any OV cabin for you. You will have a cabin with a window. The worst you can do in that class (of course depending on the ship) is an "obstructed view". So anything with no obstruction would be considered an upgrade. Any cabin on a deck higher than the first or second cabin decks would also be considered an upgrade. So you can see that for them to move you to a balcony cabin, while always possible, is way down the line.

As mentioned, someone might give you a call, or email and offer you an upgrade for some extra amount. Again, not common, but at this point make yourself familiar with the pricing. Understand how much more a guarantee balcony would cost compare to the OV. That way if you do get a call, you would be able to know if it were a fair offer. Keep up to date, the prices change (sometimes daily). If prices fall enough, and you are willing to pay the extra, you might consider doing the upgrade yourself. You can call and upgrade yourself any time. Didn't think to mention, but if you qualify for a price drop, call for it as soon as you see a drop in price for your cabin class. It would be either refunded to your credit card or you would receive an OBC. If you have the time to spend and don't mind fooling around, you can (somewhat) keep track of which cabin are still available. Don't forget, cabins that were closed will open up, because as they get closer to sail date, that is when the  "upgrade fairies" will start calling people in an attempt to fill more expensive cabin categories. 

good luck 

have a great cruise

Upgrade calls mostly (not exclusively) are from inside rooms to either oceanview or balcony.  OP, if you want a room with a view, book it, pot luck will just start your vacation off on a sour note.

We have booked oceanview cabins on the Paradise a few times and always got an oceanview cabin.  If it matters, we are Diamond but that had no influence.  Never received an upsell call,  on any cruise, ever.

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the OP was kidding with this post or is not familiar with the cruise industry.  

Oh no, I can assure you I am familiar with the industry. I am just asking a question about others’ experiences. 

7 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Oh no, I can assure you I am familiar with the industry. I am just asking a question about others’ experiences. 

Then you should know you have zero chance of being upgraded unless you are a diamond or a frequent gambler on Carnival.  As others have mentioned, there is always the possibility you may receive an upsell offer, but there willl be a cost tied to the offer. 

Not to dissuade you, but we have gotten a free upgrade on the Ecstasy from an Ocean view to the Owners Penthouse suite (that overlooks the main pool area).  We got that because we were the highest loyalty member on the ship (actually 1 of 2) but and this is a big but, the reason was they had overbooked and neeed our room for a sleep 3.  Point is that it does happen but ever so rarely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not to dissuade you, but we have gotten a free upgrade on the Ecstasy from an Ocean view to the Owners Penthouse suite (that overlooks the main pool area).  We got that because we were the highest loyalty member on the ship (actually 1 of 2) but and this is a big but, the reason was they had overbooked and neeed our room for a sleep 3.  Point is that it does happen but ever so rarely.

You're joking, right! An Owners Penthouse Suite! Lucky you! I am probably not going to book this cabin, as I found a better deal elsewhere.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

You're joking, right! An Owners Penthouse Suite! Lucky you! I am probably not going to book this cabin, as I found a better deal elsewhere.

Nope not kidding, we usually travel in groups but not this time.  Had noone to ahow it to.