Azamara vs Celebrity for New Zealand cruise?

Looking for a New Zealand cruise.  We've sailed on Celebrity several times, but their itinerary for New Zealand has lots of sea days and only 5 actual port days which is disappointing.  Azamara has a longer itinerary with several more stops, but we've never traveled with them, and would appreciate some feedback on how they compare to Celebrity.  We've done Aqua class on Celebrity and appreciated the small dining room.  Azamara has only one dining room (2 speciality restaurants) with open seating.  Wondering how the food is?  It's obviously a much smaller ship,  how about evening entertainment, we love having multiple music and show venues on Celebrity.   We would really appreciate some input!

Thanks so much

I have sailed both, Celebrity fantastic shows and entertainment, speciality restaurants very good.

Azamara food in all venues excellent, main dining room very good to excellent.  Entertainment pretty average does not compare to Celebrity but then again I knew Azamara was not known for their entertainment.  But saying that, loved the white night and Azamazing evening.  

Very different passenger demographic as well.  Found a much older group on Azamara, but that’s fine.  You do have plenty of interaction with officers, as they are very hands on.  Mosaic coffee lounge a big hit.  No bar bills also a bonus.

You can’t go wrong with either cruise, but if you are after port intensive maybe Azamara would be the preferred option.

Azamara is the next step up from Celebrity in the RCL group i.e. it's upscale. That goes for pricing and inclusions, and obviously clientele runs with that, on smaller ships with the resultant impacts as well, so you can assess whether that's what you're looking for.

11 hours ago, Kangakid said:

I have sailed both, Celebrity fantastic shows and entertainment, speciality restaurants very good.

Azamara food in all venues excellent, main dining room very good to excellent.  Entertainment pretty average does not compare to Celebrity but then again I knew Azamara was not known for their entertainment.  But saying that, loved the white night and Azamazing evening.  

Very different passenger demographic as well.  Found a much older group on Azamara, but that’s fine.  You do have plenty of interaction with officers, as they are very hands on.  Mosaic coffee lounge a big hit.  No bar bills also a bonus.

You can’t go wrong with either cruise, but if you are after port intensive maybe Azamara would be the preferred option.

Cheers, sounds good either way.

As we are comparing a 700 pax ship with a 2800 one, they are obviously two very different experiences. Both deliver a fine cruise product, however I must say that my cruise on Azamara Journey [admittedly it was a long Mediterranean one] was one of the great highlights of my travel history.

Putting the subject of entertainment aside [Azamara won't compare with Celebrity in this department], the little extras and niceties included in your Azamara fare, the size of the ship, the fine service, and of course the superior itinerary, make it a tempting choice.

A couple of points. First, although the cabins are nicely appointed, they are a little on the small size. Second, Azamara tends to be rather pricey [bear in mind that they are all-inclusive], so my suggestion is to wait until closer to sailing date, as they sometimes offer really good last minute discounts.

8 hours ago, cruisermsoon said:

As we are comparing a 700 pax ship with a 2800 one, they are obviously two very different experiences. Both deliver a fine cruise product, however I must say that my cruise on Azamara Journey [admittedly it was a long Mediterranean one] was one of the great highlights of my travel history.

Putting the subject of entertainment aside [Azamara won't compare with Celebrity in this department], the little extras and niceties included in your Azamara fare, the size of the ship, the fine service, and of course the superior itinerary, make it a tempting choice.

A couple of points. First, although the cabins are nicely appointed, they are a little on the small size. Second, Azamara tends to be rather pricey [bear in mind that they are all-inclusive], so my suggestion is to wait until closer to sailing date, as they sometimes offer really good last minute discounts.

Does anyone really decide on a cruise based on the entertainment?

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

If Sae itineraries and price Azamara, but I’m very price driven and 3xoet Azamara o cost a fair bit more

I have had this discussion on these forums before. For some people the inclusions on a luxury ship ( or Azamarawhich is one step down from a luxury ship) will mean that the value proposition is pretty similar to a less luxurious cruise. However, I do understand that people who don’t drink much, don’t care about fine dining and excursions will probably find that the lower headline price of Celebrity much more attractive. I seem to remember that you were in that camp, Mr Gut.

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

The interesting thing is that both Azamara and Celebrity do one way cruises to New Zealand... forcing you to fly one way..

It would be nice to see return trips... then I would be tempted ..

I think Azamara would be better... smaller ship.

Cheers Don 

B2B gets you the return.

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

The interesting thing is that both Azamara and Celebrity do one way cruises to New Zealand... forcing you to fly one way..

Cheers Don 

Yeah same problem, I don’t think Azamara offer any return trips Syd-Syd.

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don 

Both cater more for international tourists, Azamara moreso.

And they mostly prefer ability to sightsee both places, hence the one ways.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:42 AM, CheriKM said:

Looking for a New Zealand cruise.  We've sailed on Celebrity several times, but their itinerary for New Zealand has lots of sea days and only 5 actual port days which is disappointing.  Azamara has a longer itinerary with several more stops, but we've never traveled with them, and would appreciate some feedback on how they compare to Celebrity.  We've done Aqua class on Celebrity and appreciated the small dining room.  Azamara has only one dining room (2 speciality restaurants) with open seating.  Wondering how the food is?  It's obviously a much smaller ship,  how about evening entertainment, we love having multiple music and show venues on Celebrity.   We would really appreciate some input!

Thanks so much

I would recommend Azamara with a longer itinerary and more ports than Celebrity, with only five port days.  NZ is usually cruised on a port intensive cruise, as it is a small country with lots of wonderful ports to choose from.  I enjoyed cruising NZ on Celebrity Century, a small ship, which visited lots of scenic ports.  I cruised SE Asia on Azamara, which was a unique cruise, which was able to go up river to two ports, because of its small size (a definite highlight) and stopped two nights at a couple of ports (another definite highlight).   The food on Azamara was excellent.  Azamara has two special nights "White Night" and "Azamazing Evening".  The officers and staff on board are in a class of their own.