Top Ten items for my stateroom

Sportgoofy

Things we always take:

• Short, multi-outlet plug
  • Collapsible hamper -- folds flat in luggage
  • Over-the-door plastic shoe rack (that we use for the outside of the bathroom door to keep toiletries.  It is helpful when one person is in the bathroom and the other is in the cabin trying to get ready.  Quick and easy access to toiletries without disturbing whoever is in the bathroom. 
  • Magnets w/ hooks - because the cabin walls are metal.  i use them to hold the daily Cruise Compass, and the hooks come in handy for things like your lanyard or whatnot. 
  • Highlighter to mark things on the Cruise Compass that i know for sure i don't want to miss
  • First Aid / Medicine Bag including the basics for tummy troubles, head cold, sinus, hangovers

Others on my list:

• Foldable hangars
  • Magnetic hooks
  • Post It Note pad
  • Towel clips
  • Antibacterial wipes to wipe down the stateroom, all door handles and balcony railing
  • Packing cubes for organizing outfits and accessories
  • Downey Wrinkle Release
  • Poo Pouri
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Truthfully, bring whatever you like.  The more you cruise, the more that packing list will change and adjust to what you find you do and don't use. I actually tossed some hangers into my suitcase before my last cruise and I'm glad I did. I prefer to hang my clothes so any wrinkles will fall out.  Yes, I brought the hangers home, too!

How many hangers are usually in the closets?

What cruise line?

Royal Caribbean will confiscate ANY extension cord.  It will be returned at the end of the cruise.

No cruise line allows ones with surge suppressors due to potential fire hazard.   But Royal has decided to not get into figuring out every one and arguing with people, so they just say No.

You can bring whatever you want, but if your cruise line does not allow it (and there is a page on the their website the lists what is not allowed), they will confiscate it.

3 hours ago, Saturngrl said:

Others on my list:

• Foldable hangars - Why?  They give use extra hangars if we ask
  • Magnetic hooks - Never needed them
  • Post It Note pad - Never used it
  • Towel clips - Yes, these are nice at the pol
  • Antibacterial wipes to wipe down the stateroom, all door handles and balcony railing - I don't bother, and have not gotten sick.  Not only on cruises, but on trips to around 145 countries and over 3 million air miles
  • Packing cubes for organizing outfits and accessories - I don't use them.  And I travel a lot for work.  I do use Eagle Creek Pack-It for shirts
  • Downey Wrinkle Release - Cheaper, put a bit of fabric softener in  cheap spray bottle, add water.  Same thing.
  • Poo Pouri - Never needed it

Just my take on the typical list of "must haves"

I did find that one of the small folding bins (about the size of a box of Kleenex) from a dollar type store to be nice on the desk to control small things.

1 hour ago, Lindanuf said:

How many hangers are usually in the closets?

Never enough. lol. I .  I usually pack folding hangers but didn't use on my last trip on the Symphony.  We were in a JS where there were actually a ton of hangers in the cabin.

Not just for cruising but all travel

Magnetic clips, - can be used for all sorts of things, especially holding the curtains closed at night. 

Blow up hangers, - they pack small but help dry items easily as they hold the front from the back of the shirt.

Elastic twisty line - dry our smalls overnight, it has hooks so can span a standard cabin easily.

21 hours ago, SRF said:

I did find that one of the small folding bins (about the size of a box of Kleenex) from a dollar type store to be nice on the desk to control small things.

Since I'm follically challenged I toss small things into one of two 🎩s I bring :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Philob

Some sort of non-surge protected outlet splitter is a requirement if you're cruising with more than 2 people in the cabin (depending on the cabin). Also, I'm pretty sure most if not all extension cords are banned due to being a fire risk.

Otherwise, my must-haves are:

• Post-it notes - Not just for leaving messages.  I prefer an interior cabin which can be pitch black any time of day.  I cover the door peephole and the TV power light with post-its and get the best sleep ever.
  • Pens / Highlighter - use on daily schedule to find stuff to do and use on the post-its if needed.
  • Collapsible Tupperware - I'm not really a fan of the usual late night/early morning offerings after the buffet closes so I like to grab an assortment of pastries, cookies, bread, and fruit from the buffet before they close and keep them fresh in my room.

The last few years we have done organised tours and this year embark on our first cruise so based on what I normally pack for vacation herewith:-

• a half dozen lightweight plastic hangers (They slip in zipper pocket of case)

• 2 socket UK + 2 usb power strip

• Yorkshire tea bags

• highlighters

• anti bac wet wipes

• meds/First aid kit

• night light (plug in kind)

• carrier bags ( for dirty washing, dirty shoes, etc) 

• small travel clock

I was a girl guide so always follow the motto 'Be prepared' 

Hth 

On 3/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, Sherri914 said:

Things we always take:

• Over-the-door plastic shoe rack (that we use for the outside of the bathroom door to keep toiletries.  It is helpful when one person is in the bathroom and the other is in the cabin trying to get ready.  Quick and easy access to toiletries without disturbing whoever is in the bathroom. 
  • Magnets w/ hooks - because the cabin walls are metal.  i use them to hold the daily Cruise Compass, and the hooks come in handy for things like your lanyard or whatnot. 
  • Highlighter to mark things on the Cruise Compass that i know for sure i don't want to miss
  • First Aid / Medicine Bag including the basics for tummy troubles, head cold, sinus, hangovers

Of those first aid kit only

On 3/14/2019 at 1:35 AM, Saturngrl said:

Others on my list:

• Foldable hangars
  • Magnetic hooks
  • Post It Note pad
  • Towel clips
  • Antibacterial wipes to wipe down the stateroom, all door handles and balcony railing
  • Packing cubes for organizing outfits and accessories
  • Downey Wrinkle Release
  • Poo Pouri

None of those for us

5 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

The last few years we have done organised tours and this year embark on our first cruise so based on what I normally pack for vacation herewith:-

• a half dozen lightweight plastic hangers (They slip in zipper pocket of case)

• 2 socket UK + 2 usb power strip

• Yorkshire tea bags

• highlighters

• anti bac wet wipes

• meds/First aid kit

• night light (plug in kind)

• carrier bags ( for dirty washing, dirty shoes, etc) 

• small travel clock

I was a girl guide so always follow the motto 'Be prepared' 

Hth 

First aid kit and power adapters are all I take off that list

On 3/13/2019 at 8:28 AM, Sherri914 said:

Things we always take:

Does the bathroom door close when you hang the over the door shoe bag on it? 

2 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Does the bathroom door close when you hang the over the door shoe bag on it? 

Yes, closes without a problem.  

It folds flat in your luggage so it's easy to pack.  And I just like it because it keeps small things organized in one place that would normally sit on the counter or wherever -- and like i said, we don't have to bother the other person in the bathroom to grab a hairbrush or sunscreen.   

Edited by Sherri914

36 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Yes, closes without a problem.  

It folds flat in your luggage so it's easy to pack.  And I just like it because it keeps small things organized in one place that would normally sit on the counter or wherever -- and like i said, we don't have to bother the other person in the bathroom to grab a hairbrush or sunscreen.   

I agree.  Since I won't have all the drawer space ... I like this idea to put all of my hair 'things' ... clips, ties, headband, brush/comb, etc.  AND my lotion, shoes, sunscreen, powder, hair conditioner (I used leave in), etc.   It's a great idea. 

I found one at Walmart for $8 !!!  That's the lowest price I could find. Has 24 pockets. 

Edited by CruiseGal999
  • Like 1