Perfect Day at Coco Cay

rt1092

Don't get me wrong....I love pools.  Just seems weird to take a cruise to a private island that has the calmest water I have ever seen, surrounded by fish, and look forward to the pool 😉

Different strokes....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Don't get me wrong....I love pools.  Just seems weird to take a cruise to a private island that has the calmest water I have ever seen, surrounded by fish, and look forward to the pool 😉

Different strokes....

My kids from Midwest use to fresh water of Great Lakes and Pools, no Salt water. I remember 30+ yrs ago first time jump in Sovereign of the Seas Pool, opened my eyes and ouch, Salt Water! My first experience...

16 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Different strokes....

I too love the ocean but my body responds differently than everybody else's in salt water. All that salt makes me blow up and I do mean that. I don't need any more fat on me please and I hate the sand in my toes but I love to look at the ocean. I'm so happy that there's finally a fresh water pool there. That's the ultimate for me, especially while looking at the Caribbean's Sea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrljel said:

I too love the ocean but my body responds differently than everybody else's in salt water. All that salt makes me blow up and I do mean that. I don't need any more fat on me please and I hate the sand in my toes but I love to look at the ocean. I'm so happy that there's finally a fresh water pool there. That's the ultimate for me, especially while looking at the Caribbean's Sea.

Indeed. Plenty of people have medical or health issues with salt water.

• Like 1

We were at CoCo Cay years ago and it happened to be overrun with jellyfish during our short visit.  Pool option would have been nice.

I suppose ship's staff will come ashore and run all the amusements?   Unlike Labadee where it seems like they're able to leverage the local labor force to some degree.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

So do I do the half day or full day at the water park?  It's $36/person half day and $51/person full day.

Or $503 for everyone at a cabana for the whole day!

That's your choice....but note that we booked our Thrill Waterpark Cabana for $399 for 5 people ($79/person) - includes water-park admission, unlimited water, free food at food shack, and the cabana itself as our "home base" on the island.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:53 PM, dodgestang said:

Different strokes....

Well, I would agree but you know those folks who are critter shy or do not like the stickiness of salt water.  There are sharks out there in the sea grass...but don't everbody panic!!!

I prefer it actually, I can stay in the ocean all dang day without even setting foot on land.  You gotta practice good hygene in the pool 😉

3 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

So if I do the half day water park I can still walk to Oasis Lagoon correct?  Or is that somewhere else at another fee?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around Perfect Day stuff ...

Oasis Lagoon is free for everyone.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

So if I do the half day water park I can still walk to Oasis Lagoon correct?  Or is that somewhere else at another fee?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around Perfect Day stuff ...

As I understand it You don't have to pay for the Lagoon pool at all.  And of course you can walk around and choose a hammock or beach lounger right on the beach and enjoy the ocean no charge at all.

perfect-day-at-cococay-complimentary-experiences.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 9:28 PM, irun5k said:

I suppose ship's staff will come ashore and run all the amusements?   Unlike Labadee where it seems like they're able to leverage the local labor force to some degree.

Apparently some of the staff live there or on an island nearby.  I was joking with an employee at the pool (had a Royal name tag like all the ship employees, so not a local) about how to get back to the ship as you could clearly see where the ship was docked from where we were standing.  He said he didn't know how to get back to the ship because he didn't live on the ship, he lived over there and pointed to a nearby island.  He said he had never been been on our ship before. 

• Like 1

We were at CoCo Cay years ago and it happened to be overrun with jellyfish during our short visit.  Pool option would have been nice.

There are some employees that stay on the island full-time. The one I talked with last summer said it was around 80 people; she'd been on the island about 2 months at that point. Others come over by boat for the day.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, dodgestang said:

To each their own and everything....but I've never understood the need for a pool with how nice the water is at CocoCay...even when we were there in Dec.

I have to agree with you.  You can swim in a pool anywhere....why wouldn't you want to take a dip in the beautiful ocean??  I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.  🙂  

I have to agree with you.  You can swim in a pool anywhere....why wouldn't you want to take a dip in the beautiful ocean??  I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.  [emoji846]  
I enjoy going to the beach well enough, but always feel slimy after being in saltwater. A freshwater dip would be quite refreshing.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Apparently some of the staff live there or on an island nearby.  I was joking with an employee at the pool (had a Royal name tag like all the ship employees, so not a local) about how to get back to the ship as you could clearly see where the ship was docked from where we were standing.  He said he didn't know how to get back to the ship because he didn't live on the ship, he lived over there and pointed to a nearby island.  He said he had never been been on our ship before. 

Doesn't sound like a bad gig compared to living on a ship!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, dodgestang said:

Different strokes....

I look at it this way,  Coco Cay is becoming like the oasis class  Lots to do, and the things I don't like attract people away from the things I do like.  Should help spread people out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

Just found this.  Granted it's from June, 2018 so some of these dates aren't on target:

Obviously some of the information regarding dates is outdated, but still nice to watch.

The comments about WIFI on the island available to those who have ship WIFI onboard were “interesting”.

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Obviously some of the information regarding dates is outdated, but still nice to watch.

The comments about WIFI on the island available to those who have ship WIFI onboard were “interesting”.

Yes, I'm sailing in a Grand Suite so we will have VOOM.  I'll update this post when I get back (Sailing May11-18) as to how "good" the VOOM was on Coco.

• Like 2

Was just at Cococay two days ago on the Grandeur.   Any ship that goes there will be docking.  There is no way to tender unless tendering to the dock.   The dock is still under contradiction and you can watch them from your ship building it out.  Fun to watch from the high decks.   

I was told by an island employee 60 people live on the island full time and it will expand to 120  Perfect Day is Done.  With the ship docked so close to the island now you can see their living complexes from the ship.  The upgrades are nice and welcome.   The old eating areas have been demolished with the chill grill and snack shack now open.  The funnel cakes have moved to the snack shack and they have motzerella sticks there as well.

The flow to get food is much improved with many more food stations.  No lines now.

Oasis lagoon is open and massive.  Absolutely huge.  They also have all new beach chairs for the whole island.  Not just the newer areas.

if note the sea gulls seem notably more agressive now.  Not sure why but they have never been this big of a problem before but now, if you leave your plate unattended for just a couple seconds they will snatch your food.   They were always there but never a nuisance.  I would say they have become a nuisance and we were there just 5 weeks ago.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

Yeah, if you watch that YouTube video I posted a few posts back the guy says the prices are "seasonal" which I assume means they fluctuate based on your sailing dates.

Probably similar to drink package pricing - no one will be able to predict where it goes and if it's popular your sailing it's likely not coming down in price!