Passengers Behaving Badly - Fight broke out in Haven Lounge on Getaway

travelingirl70

39 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

.... If I was the captain these people would have been off the ship.  Call me harsh but I have zero tolerance for this kind of nonsense.

If I was the Captain this fight would never had happened!!!!

Because if I was the Captain, I would have hit something myself and sunk the ship way before getting to Cozumel.

:classic_blush:

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I don't understand this?  I think you are painting with way too broad of a brush.  Never stated anything which you allege.  Why are you bringing police misconduct into this?  I was not dividing groups but giving examples of brawls even when the police show up.  You love to comment on other's comments but you are spinning my comments into something I never said.  Its ridiculous that I even have to reply to this.  My comments on society include EVERYONE.  I just wish you would read comments before you reply to them so fast.

I gave an example of both. You listed citizens bullying police. If anything, my post supports yours in that the behavior is widespread.

Every group across all ages, socioeconomic classes, job title, etc. seems to have a sense of being above the rules of society. The camera phones just make it easier for people to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

But IMHO its the sense of entitlement society has today.  Rules for who, me?  People now even think they can bully the police with their phone cameras.

Exactly. No respect or responsibility due to a lack of consequences. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, calmpets said:

Normally I would totally agree with this too, but since there are no soda dispensers, kids are kind of forced to go to the bar for beverages. It would make sense that some would stay there, especially if they are with their parents. On land, though, 100% agree that kids have no place at a bar!

Respectfully disagree. The Haven lounge has seats immediately away from the bar, in the comfy chairs where a bar server would have been happy to get the beverage for the child. Not that anyone knows all the details of this occurrence, but common sense dictates that if you don't want someone who is drinking (possibly drunk) talking to your kid, you shouldn't let your kid sit at the bar where, you know, adults are drinking. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

Respectfully disagree. The Haven lounge has seats immediately away from the bar, in the comfy chairs where a bar server would have been happy to get the beverage for the child. Not that anyone knows all the details of this occurrence, but common sense dictates that if you don't want someone who is drinking (possibly drunk) talking to your kid, you shouldn't let your kid sit at the bar where, you know, adults are drinking. 

As a parent who sails frequently with kids, I could see letting them briefly stay at the bar while ordering nonalcoholic drinks, but if a drunk came by I’d never say anything to them and would just hustle my kid out immediately.  My kids have never been in a bar on land or at sea, but I could see letting them order water at a ship bar.  The bigger problem for me isn’t if the mom let her kid sit at a bar, but why she wouldn’t just get him out of there if there was a rowdy drunk.  There’s a million bars on a cruise, so you can easily find a safe place for your kid to get a drink.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I don't understand this?  I think you are painting with way too broad of a brush.  Never stated anything which you allege.  Why are you bringing police misconduct into this?  I was not dividing groups but giving examples of brawls even when the police show up.  You love to comment on other's comments but you are spinning my comments into something I never said.  Its ridiculous that I even have to reply to this.  My comments on society include EVERYONE.  I just wish you would read comments before you reply to them so fast.

I think it's WAY more the everyday citizens. Not the police. 

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

"But common sense dictates"!? Therein lies the problem and reinforces the fact people DON'T use common sense.

Totally agree children don't belong "sitting" at the bar. Having spent many years in the adult beverage business, it is amazing how alcohol affects EVERYONE differently.

Parents need to go get that soda for their child and take it to the table. If it's only the two of them STAND with the child and move away from Bar. Hey but that's using common sense.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Gosh, hate the child was exposed to this .... especially the way the parents reacted.

How much better it would have been if the mother had just gone elsewhere with the child.  :classic_rolleyes:

Agree, don’t have your kid at the bar...problem solved. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that most situations involving alcohol happen in Cozumel which by the way, is one of my favorite stops.  Although they were still onboard, they may have spent the day on shore enjoying too many tequilas, lime infused beer, or some "legal narcotic" that they purchased from the local pharmacia.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

I would be interesting to know what the gentleman said to the child and how old the child was.  

• Like 1

Attention,  clueless parents:  if your child is underage,  he or she should not be sitting at the bar.  The bartender is not a babysitter.  Whatever happened to common sense?

This does not condone drunken behavior on the part of any adult, but this whole situation could have been avoided.

• Like 7

Uh....it sounds like things went downhill with the kid's father got involved.  He just had to show "how macho" he was.  He should have just taken the kid elsewhere.  The best way to avoid confrontations with drunks and other social deviants is to avoid them.

• Like 4

The mom calling the other gentleman a fat drunk in front of her child shows a complete lack of class.  I saw a similar family in the Haven once on the Epic.  Breaking rules, rude to staff, just being around them created a tension in the air.  That is what happens at bars, strangers talk to one another.  I’m sure the drunk didn’t want to be talking to a kid neither, but they sat their kid there.  NCL should learn from this and say no kids at the bars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a question since I have never sailed in the Haven nor am I ever likely to....... are there any adult only areas in the Haven or are children permitted free access to all the Haven facilities?

2 minutes ago, MrsK said:

Just a question since I have never sailed in the Haven nor am I ever likely to....... are there any adult only areas in the Haven or are children permitted free access to all the Haven facilities?

For the most part free access, I know they stopped letting kids in the upper sun deck on some ships. Not everyone wants to be around other people’s little darlings. 

To the people talking about common sense, I have a saying.....

Common sense is not that common 😆

• Like 1

I have no problem with the father stepping in. The Mom had already ASKED the guy to stop and he didn't. Is the Dad supposed to wait for the guy to step to his wife?  Actually NCL security should have been called at that moment. Honestly that probably played a role in NCL not kicking anyone off.

As for the kid at the bar, he was with his Mom. Kids have to go to the bar for soda or just ice water, no self serve on NCL.

The adults will pay for the damages. Hopefully there have been apologies and sensitive conversations with the kid.

Arrests can lead to job losses. If the parties don't want to press charges then let it go with the surveillance steps. There's likely an element of embarrassment and regret on both sides. 

Sorry for the other passengers that witnessed the incident. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I don't think younger than age 16 allowed on any Haven sundeck, are they?

I hope you're right. Doing the Bliss Haven later this year. I don't like kids.........

....in Adult areas.

Edited by softl
  • Haha 2

I'm just guessing here but I think the issue was the kid sitting at the bar.

I've been on the Breakaway in the Haven, which is the same as the Escape Haven bar if I remember correctly.    It's amazing to me that for the size of the Haven, I can't even tell you how many passengers the Haven accommodates but there are like 6 seats at the bar.   That's it.    For all these Haven passengers, all with drink packages.    There are other places to sit inside the Haven lobby but they are sofa's in the lobby, not sitting at the bar.   I'm not justifying violence by any means but my guess is this is because the bar seating is so ridiculously inadequate for the amount of Haven passengers on that ship.

You go to the Epic Haven and there are 3 bars for the Haven passengers, plenty of seats if you want to sit at the bar or have a kid sit at the bar.    The other ships, it's an issue.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

I wonder if they bought Haven tickets outright or were "upgraded."

Why would that be in question? Are you implying something between the two: outright purchase or upgrade?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

I'm just guessing here but I think the issue was the kid sitting at the bar.

I've been on the Breakaway in the Haven, which is the same as the Escape Haven bar if I remember correctly.    It's amazing to me that for the size of the Haven, I can't even tell you how many passengers the Haven accommodates but there are like 6 seats at the bar.   That's it.    For all these Haven passengers, all with drink packages.    There are other places to sit inside the Haven lobby but they are sofa's in the lobby, not sitting at the bar.   I'm not justifying violence by any means but my guess is this is because the bar seating is so ridiculously inadequate for the amount of Haven passengers on that ship.

You go to the Epic Haven and there are 3 bars for the Haven passengers, plenty of seats if you want to sit at the bar or have a kid sit at the bar.    The other ships, it's an issue.

It doesn’t matter the circumstances or how many stools are available, kids don’t belong sitting at bars - period.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1