Deck in bow of star princess?

seasprite

I have been trying to get info about the deck on the front of deck 14 of the Star Princess.  It is pictured in the deck diagrams but with no further info.  Some postings have said it is off limits due to bridge access, but others say it is above the bridge and available to passengers.  We are thinking of getting an inside cabin up there IF we can access this deck. Has anyone been on the Star recently who can answer my question?  I so appreciate your help!

I don't think so on the Grand. We've been on that ship several times, and we're pretty proactive about finding everywhere that we can go. Never found a way out there on the Grand. We had one of the premium ocean view cabins on that deck on the Grand once, and I think we'd have noticed if there was a way out to the front of the ship.

On the Ruby you can access that corresponding deck, and that's a really good thing since most people don't find it..

9 minutes ago, seasprite said:

The for your help.  Wonder why they show a deck out there in the deck plan drawing?

That's a good question, and I don't have a good answer. We won't be back on the Grand until next year, but I'm surely going to check it out then. Pretty sure we can't get out there, but I'm going to look.

4 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

Are you talking about the deck on top of the Bridge on the Grand? If so, it is accessible, and pretty much deserted. Photo taken 4/17 SF to Hawaii. 

20170427_100549.jpg

Doh! Yes, for sure. We've been out there many times. Didn't ring a bell at all with me. Silly me. :classic_laugh: But not accessible from the hall on Lido, surely?

Edited by Sea Hag

37 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Doh! Yes, for sure. We've been out there many times. Didn't ring a bell at all with me. Silly me. :classic_laugh: But not accessible from the hall on Lido, surely?

Actually, that photo is the front portion of the Sun deck. You circle around on that deck, and there're a few steps right up at the front that go up to the deck in the photo. It's not Lido deck, and it's usually accessible. I've seen this one closed when it's windy and wavy.

Edited by Sea Hag

Regarding that deck it is on all of the Grand class ships and variants of them. I have found it to be a good observation deck however the rules seem to change depending on who is the Captain or who is in charge. Sometimes the deck is always open, other times it is closed at night time with the gates shut and on some cruises it has been padlocked and chained shut for the entire cruise. I can understand it being closed in high winds or in storms. It is a popular observation deck.

5 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Regarding that deck it is on all of the Grand class ships and variants of them. I have found it to be a good observation deck however the rules seem to change depending on who is the Captain or who is in charge. Sometimes the deck is always open, other times it is closed at night time with the gates shut and on some cruises it has been padlocked and chained shut for the entire cruise. I can understand it being closed in high winds or in storms. It is a popular observation deck.

And sometimes it is open only when in port.

What it is is the roof of the Bridge.

I hardly ever see anyone else out there when I go out there.

Had a look at the deck plans on other sites yes it does show a deck at the front of 14......

But it is not a deck... but the bridge....

Deck 15 round the front of the spa / gym is a great place for viewing.. particularly up to three steps so you are on top of the bridge.......

As stated is can get very windy round the front.. while underway..

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling

3 hours ago, caribill said:

And sometimes it is open only when in port.

What it is is the roof of the Bridge.

I hardly ever see anyone else out there when I go out there.

The item covered up on that deck (in the background) is the compass. You will see that it is amidships.

Boarding day on the Pacific North West  October 7, 2018 cruise, this area was blocked off for a VIP Fleet Week Party viewing.  It was an Invitation ONLY Party by the Captain / Staff for City Fathers and TV media and a few Suites.  I tried to get through but was turned away.  They were serving refreshments and drinks.  I ended up next to the Sea Breeze Bar area.  Fantastic Air Show.   

17 hours ago, seasprite said:

Oops...the ship is the Grand Princess not the Star.  On lido deck 14 in the bow.  Sorry about the confusion!  Thanks again for your help.   Pam

The area on deck 14 which looks like a lounging deck on the deck plans is the bridge and some cabins for bridge officers. Off limits to passengers. The area on top of the bridge may be open for sometimes for scenic cruising.