Wardrobe ...

Josie2

We will be sailing from Amsterdam to Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, St Petersburg at the end of July.  I am expecting sunny long days, with highs of mid teens and a max of 20 (Celsius) and anticipate cool evenings on the verandah while sailing.  Does this sound about right ?  I plan a light windbreaker and a cardigan as part of my packing ...  any input appreciated.  !  

15 minutes ago, Josie2 said:

We will be sailing from Amsterdam to Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, St Petersburg at the end of July.  I am expecting sunny long days, with highs of mid teens and a max of 20 (Celsius) and anticipate cool evenings on the verandah while sailing.  Does this sound about right ?  I plan a light windbreaker and a cardigan as part of my packing ...  any input appreciated.  !  

Sounds about right. Weather in the Baltics can be unpredictable - I always pack an umbrella and layer my clothing. However, July should be quite warm so a windbreaker & cardigan should suffice.

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You could Google search a couple of your ports for the statistics, rather than anecdotal info. Try "Copenhagen July weather," for example. Our experience in that time frame is warmer than you suggest.

Yes I did that.  Was looking more for on the water/sailing info.  

3 hours ago, Josie2 said:

Yes I did that.  Was looking more for on the water/sailing info.  

The temps at sea are not going to vary much from the land temps at that time of year, particularly as you would be Google searching for port cities...that are right on the water. 

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You could Google search a couple of your ports for the statistics, rather than anecdotal info. Try "Copenhagen July weather," for example. Our experience in that time frame is warmer than you suggest.

I disagree completely. For the Baltic sea/Northern Europe the statistics doesn't say much about what weather
to expect because the variations are so large from day-to-day, week-to-week, year-to-year.

If you visit this part of July you can expect anything from +10 Celsius and rain to + 30 Celsius
with sun and clear skies.Water temperature will depend on the weather in general.

Edited by Desdichado62

5 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

I disagree completely. For the Baltic sea/Northern Europe the statistics doesn't say much about what weather
to expect because the variations are so large from day-to-day, week-to-week, year-to-year.

If you visit this part of July you can expect anything from +10 Celsius and rain to + 30 Celsius
with sun and clear skies.Water temperature will depend on the weather in general.

And anecdotal info gets you??? I sort of implied that by saying our experience was warmer than the numbers the OP presented.

We travel a lot, and have some weather knowledge. Of course weather varies (by the way, that is what makes anecdotal info shaky), and we plan accordingly. Having local knowledge like yours is good. The averages are a factual start on which to make clothing decisions...again, understanding they are averages, not exact predictions. But I am always leery when someone says "when we were there it was..." as if that is a good representation of what the weather will be. One point does not a line make...

Plan for layers, avoid over packing for warm, or cold.  I did a TA plus Baltic April into May, St. Petersburg had above normal temps.  People were prepared for cold, layers are best.  Weather can go either way, as previous posters suggest.   Oslo was damp, rainy, windy, I pack a poncho, umbrellas were not much help.

I like this website has a weather section, you can put in your cities, I use it all the time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/

13 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Plan for layers, avoid over packing for warm, or cold.  I did a TA plus Baltic April into May, St. Petersburg had above normal temps.  People were prepared for cold, layers are best.  Weather can go either way, as previous posters suggest.   Oslo was damp, rainy, windy, I pack a poncho, umbrellas were not much help.

I like this website has a weather section, you can put in your cities, I use it all the time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/

I agree 100%. When we were there FIVE TIMES (not "one point") so far--and off to Norway again in June--plus various longer inland journeys, we've experienced the range of cool/windy/rainy to take-off-yer-clothes hot, all on the same trip. And this range occurring every time we've visited the Baltic during June-August.  And Amsterdam--which we visit at least once annually, sometimes more--has the same weather range. Take a light raincoat/windbreaker and layer. Bring shoes you can get wet. And thanks for the link, Susan!

Edited by sofietucker

Be prepared to pack for all weather, as it always varies, anywhere. You should experience warm days (capris, shorts, etc) but bring a pair of pants and a light jacket for warmth, as even where it's hot in the summer, there is the occasional cool day.