Fjords and alleged Norwegian Maritime Authority Changes

les37b

Just been notified of changes made to my Silver Wind cruise in August 2020 for ports of call in the Norway, which massively influenced this cruise selection last September.

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Please allow us to make you aware of important changes to your itinerary. Due to recent changes made by the Norwegian Maritime Authority concerns environmental regulations in certain areas of the Western Fjords, it has become necessary to replace the scheduled calls to Flam/Gudvangen and Geiranger/Hellesylt with Eidfjord in the Hardangerfjord and Olden in the Nordfjord.  For more detailed itinerary information please refer to the attached itinerary.  

The selection of this cruise (apart from it being the Winds last as a classic cruise ship and ending at the Tower}, was down to sailing deep into the Fjords and the spectacular scenery particularly at the locations now being withdrawn. I had already mentioned my plans to do the Flam railway and then video (from the shore) the Wind departing and then arriving after a short bus hop into Gudvangen when she arrives. All now lost. The second loss is probably less contentious but is still a big hit. I time lapse video all arrivals and departures and this one would have been pretty spectacular. 

Obviously if ALL ships are now barred, I just have to take it on the chin and make an excuse to visit by air and land in the future. But strangely Silversea Ships are still sailing to these places, both before and after and with larger ships too which is deeply suspicious.

Searching for Flam reveals 14 sailings. 

This was my one..

SW200801012 - Copenhagen to London

Of course it may be that all these cruises are set to change too. My one actually now shows the "new" itinerary despite still showing the wrong map.

So has anyone else been affected by the Norwegian Maritime Authorities instruction to ban ships from the best stops on this or other SS scheduled cruises (or otherwise)? I will almost certainly be cancelling if the ports are being used and select one of SS alternatives - or an alternative cruise line if that's not possible. Just typical bad luck! Such a shame. I really was so looking forward to Flam, the railway and Drone adventure.

I know this offers no help to you, but during our visit to Geiranger/Hellesylt the fog was so dense we couldn’t see a thing during then overland tour.  Looking back, I really wished we had just stayed on the ship.  So, I don’t think you lose anything by going to Olden instead.

In regards to Flam, my opinion is meh.  I know that is sacrilege to most.  If the railway is important to see, you could still go and ride it as Flam is only a little over 90-minutes from Eidfjord.

Now you put it that way....I wonder why go there anyway! haha

When booking, it was Flam that I really wanted to see. There were about 4 on the shortlist but doing the train journey was what tipped the scales. ( I do like train travel and have done  "bigguns" Like the Ghan from Alice to Sydney and Eastern & Orient from Singapore to Bangkok) - but I wouldnt really say its a must do - just seemed a great attraction - but I do know its unlikely Id get another chance. (I know what you said about Eidford - but it was the plan (thought of after) to be able to drone the departure from Flam and arrival at Gudvangen that really was going to be the highlight plus (with my wife on board) GoPro the journey too.

As mentioned though, I'm curious if this Flam and Geiranger purge does affect the 14 other cruises or why it doesnt! Surely its not just mine the Norwegian Maritime have targeted, so while your views are useful, I think i was more questioning "why mine" if others are unaffected.

There is an article / explanation at

https://www.sdir.no/en/news/news-from-the-nma/new-environmental-requirements-in-the-world-heritage-fjords/

Looks like it is about emissions etc. ... so older ships may not comply with current legislation.

Mike

ps The West Norwegian Fjords consist of the five fjords the Nærøyfjord, Aurlandsfjord, Geirangerfjord, Synnulvsfjord and Tafjord.

Say that after a few bevvies 😀

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Mike. I did use google to see if I could find anything before posting. The email did mention its an enviromental thing and while being a shame, it is what it is.

Looking at the 14 visits, I notice the Wind is only one of the sailings, with most of them being the Spirit and the rest, the Whispsr, so I wonder if the June sailing got a reprieve and the Wind fails the emission tests and the reason its no longer allowed. (I have no idea if there are other Wind sailings affected.)

Bit of a surprise that the Spirit and Whisper are seen as OK. With Londons new very strict car emisions coming into effect from 1 April this year, I wonder if London may join the ban game!

I seem to recollect watching a Mighty Ships prog about Crystal Symphony and they had similar issues in that they ended up carrying shore engineers to fit new improved filters otherwise they would not be allowed in Singapore. 

I presume that most of the newer ships are ‘compliant’ at build ..... 

When I was at sea, environmental issues hadn’t been invented and we frequently made huge clouds of ‘Ooh Nasty’ ...... as Leslie Phillips used to say on the Navy Lark 😀

lol

What seems a little odd (but expect there is an explanation) is that the Wind will still be going deep into the fjords next to the ones we no longer can..... But suppose with there being fewer ships doing so, that makes the reduction and less friendly fumes more acceptable!

There is a 10 day Spirit cruise doing a similarish itinerary for similar price, but without the Tower visit and 2 days less that we are now considering so we get to Flam.

Third world problems eh!

We are due on the Wind this summer for 57 days included a Norway voyage including the ports you mention commencing 30 May.Heard nothing yet from SS and ports are still showing on the SS website so fingers crossed we may be okay.SS would be leaving late to advise us that half our ports of call had changed,particularly as this booking was itinerary driven!

Thanks Brimary.

Reading from the website posted, it looks like it’s after this Summer, so I’m pretty sure you are ok. 

No idea if there are any other 2020 cruises affected though on the Wind. Looks like you got it just in time!

19 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

There is an article / explanation at

https://www.sdir.no/en/news/news-from-the-nma/new-environmental-requirements-in-the-world-heritage-fjords/

Looks like it is about emissions etc. ... so older ships may not comply with current legislation.   Mike

Appreciate this thread, the key clips/links, these various comments and follow-ups.  Interesting, maybe good news for saving these fragile regions, but kind of sad as to those seeking to see these super scenic areas.  We were very luck in July 2010 to have done the Flam rail trip and many other key Norway highlights.  

Loved our experiences here!!  More details from my live/blog connected below. 

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times tomorrow, they will have this headline: “Ticket to the top of the world”  with this part as one of highlights: “The town of Flam proves as touristy as Geiranger; like everyone, we’re here for the Flamsbana, a 20km mountain railway line that affords another sublime dose of topography. Its headline act is a waterfall pool, beside which passengers hurriedly disembark to watch a writhing dancer represent the huldra forest temptress.”

Overall this story is about using the rails to explore this larger region, but they clearly recognized Flam as a key "star" in this region.  

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/ticket-to-the-top-of-the-world-the-arctic-circle-express-bdgj6fjgf

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,249 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From this Sunday Times profile, here is a featured visual of the Flamsbana mountain railway.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

193469319_ScreenShot2019-03-23at12_39_39PM.thumb.png.d8c6a56664e168c11535ff8e4b6b4437.png

8 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

“Must be awful for them.”

Having been through a similar experience, I would suggest that taking to the lifeboats in such a situation could be described as “interesting” 😀

I could probably think of a more apt description! lol

In those winds I doubt it was very pleasant.

Terry - agree about saving the environment, though do feel a little cheated by the timing and miffed that larger vessels from SS are still doing so and we can't. Rules is rules though I guess!

27 minutes ago, les37b said:

Terry - agree about saving the environment, though do feel a little cheated by the timing and miffed that larger vessels from SS are still doing so and we can't. Rules is rules though I guess!  

Yes, "Rules is rules".  Personally, I have "mixed" opinions.  Must protect these fragile and super scenic locations.  At times with too many ships and people, these precious areas get totally over-run and abused.  But, giving "access" to people is important "sharing".  Fortunately with new technology and better management, today's ships can adapt accordingly. 

In just four months, on the Silver Muse in late July, we will be exploring Alaska for the first time.  That will give us a chance to compare these dramatic areas of Norway versus those of Alaska.  Which one will be our favorite and why??

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 45,061 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Woah!  Our worst nightmare.

I don’t know why but the video’s always remind me of Ikea?

According to marinetraffic.com she is underway again ... lots of tugs still in the area though ... 

A couple of questions.  I am booked on the Wind for a Norway cruise departing June 22nd.  This cruise was already worrisome, given that the Wind was in drydock for a month, and I had no idea whether the much need renovations would solve the many problems of simply being an old ship.  I have heard in other threads the the do over has been successful.  I sailed the Wind last season in the Caribbean and the ship was in bad shape.  I understand that this is the Winds last hurrah for it is about to be converted into an ice class expedition ship.  Anyhow. 

As I understand it, the restriction at Flam will go into effect in 2020 and my June 25th visit will not be affected.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Also, and this is an inconvenience so thanks in advance.  The ports the  Wind will be stopping at are Alesund, Bronnoysund, Leknes, Tromso, Honningsvag. Hammerfest, Olden and Bergen.  Does anyone have any insight on what I should or should not do.  

Are port restrictions in Flam based at all on ship size ?  The Wind, for example, has a capacity of 295 passengers.  Do they get hit with the 4000 passenger mega ships.  The difference is night and day. Anyhow.

cheers

34 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

Also, and this is an inconvenience so thanks in advance.  The ports the  Wind will be stopping at are Alesund, Bronnoysund, Leknes, Tromso, Honningsvag. Hammerfest, Olden and Bergen.  Does anyone have any insight on what I should or should not do.

Sorry, but I’m not following your statements.  What is an inconvenience?  And, are you asking if you should cancel your voyage?