Flight Times Out of Heathrow and Gatwick

Desert Cruisers

We will be arriving in Southampton on the Queen Mary 2 on a Friday.  We need to fly to Rome that same day.  Because we have a boatload of on-board credit, we are thinking of taking the Cunard transfer to the airport.  How early a flight should we book out of Heathrow and Gatwick?  BA out of Heathrow seems to have the most nonstop flights.  We are looking at either a 12:45 or 15:40 flight.  We have access to the BA Lounge but would prefer to not to be there for hours.

If we don't take the Cunard transfer, any suggestions as to how to get to either Heathrow or Gatwick?

Any suggestion or guidance would be appreciated.

Depends on your preferred blend of convenience and price.

Not sure how well you know Southampton (I've never taken a cruise to/from there but lived there for 3yrs in the early 2000s and know it well), but the Central Station is close to the port. From there you can take the train to Woking and there is dedicated Heathrow coach, RailAir. www.trainline.co.uk is good for looking at schedules and booking, you can get tickets cheaper in advance. Southampton to Woking can be as little as 45mins, and then RailAir is probably another 45mins. 

Of course you could arrange a private door to door transfer but if the QM2 arrives at dawn you could find yourself jammed up in rush hour traffic on the M3 nearer London and the short portion of the M25 up to Heathrow is one of the busiest roads in Europe. With no delays it could be about a 60-75min drive, in bad traffic it could easily be 2.5hrs or more.

National Express coaches run from the Southampton coach station, not too far from the cruise port, directly to Heathrow. 

Not sure if you've used Heathrow T5 at all but BA does have a total of four lounges you may have access to; three business class lounges (Galleries Club) and one first class lounge ("Galleries First") for oneworld Emeralds. As a BA Gold/OW Emerald myself I rate them all pretty highly and generally don't find it an issue to while away an hour or three there, although on the few times I've had to use the business class lounges I have found them rather busy. Knowing the SE England extremely well and the potential traffic pitfalls I'd probably play it safe on the flights knowing the lounges are a decent mitigating factor. You can get a shower too, to kill some time, and T5 itself has plenty of shops, restaurants etc. if you're into that kind of thing.

We have been in and out of Southampton quite often.  Understand the rail option as well National Express. Would likely consider these options if it wasn't for the OBC that we have (tips already included in fare). 

Did call Cunard about private transfer - USD280 - which we could cover under our OBC. Can pay for it onboard with OBC if available but, if we prebook, we must use our own money.  Coach transfer is USD60 pp.

Have used T5 as well as the Lounges.  I'm Oneworld Sapphire and know that we will be well-fed and well-hydrated.  Love checking out shops. Thanks for confirming our gut-feeling about which flight to book.  Less stressful overall.  Only thing that we are doing upon arrival at FCO is heading to the Hilton at the airport.  Probably will book the 15:40 but, of course, will arrive in time to catch the 12:45.  Isn't that always the case!

Do you know how early BA-LHR will accept bags?  

17 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

For those with status or in premium cabins (as you are) it can be as early as you see fit. I believe the limit for statusless passengers or those in economy (and perhaps World Traveller Plus) is 3hrs.

$280 isn't terrible but you could probably arrange something yourself for much less if your onboard credit can find a home. For a laugh I looked at Uber, where you can schedule rides in advance, for an UberX (the only available level) it's £91-£122 door to door. I suspect Cunard's provided wheels are a little more plush which could be money well spent if you get stuck in traffic and it's 2+hrs.  Blacklane's quote for a BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E Class is a shade over £200 with an S Class equivalent being just under £300. 

21 hours ago, fbgd said:

$280 isn't terrible but you could probably arrange something yourself for much less if your onboard credit can find a home. For a laugh I looked at Uber, where you can schedule rides in advance, for an UberX (the only available level) it's £91-£122 door to door.

It's been a few years, but we arranged a private transfer through Totally Driven, www.totallydriven.co.uk.  We were thoroughly pleased with the service and would book again.

I just did a quick check, and the quote for 2 passengers with 2 checked bags and 2 carry on size bags through this company on a random Friday in May is 122£.   It is quick and easy to get a rate quote for your exact date and time on their website.  You put in the date and time, pick up and drop off point, and it will show you assorted vehicles, how many pax and how many checked and carry on bags fit in each, and the approximate driving time.

Edited by waterbug123

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, Desert Cruisers said:

They took mine around 3 hours a month ago at Heathrow.... no early experience with Gatwick though...my BA flights are always 7:00 am out of Gatwick.

Edited by Cruise Junky

On 3/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, Desert Cruisers said:

On 3/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, fbgd said:

For those with status or in premium cabins (as you are) it can be as early as you see fit. I believe the limit for statusless passengers or those in economy (and perhaps World Traveller Plus) is 3hrs.

At LHR T5, all passengers can now drop bags at any time from 5 am on the day of the flight. Those travelling in First or Club can use the desks in the conventional way. Those entitled to use First or Club desks through higher-tier frequent flyer membership can also do so. Everyone else can drop bags early using the machines.