Getting drinks / sunbeds

Rhysmorgan

Good afternoon. 

I really need some information from experienced cruisers to help out my mind at ease

We have never cruised before, and have two cruises booked 

Celebrity cruises Aug 2019 Norwegian fjords from Southampton 

Royal carribean Aug 2020 4 night Bahamas from Port canaveral 

My anxiety is basically all based around the same thing.. Over crowding and ability to get service etc. 

We will have drinks cards for each, are the bars busy? Like four deep waiting to get served? Do you grab a table and have table service for drinks and flash your card or is it all up at the bar. In general, does everyone use cruising for alcohol holidays? Or is there simply no issues getting drinks and seats in the bars etc.. Would you have an early dinner in order to strategically get a seat in a bar lounge before it gets busy? Or is there simplly no problems? 

Also sunbeds.. We don't care for sitting round the pool, so no need for the premium ones, but are the enough sunbeds dotted around for everyone.? Would you say if you genuinely don't mind where you go there will be spaces for everyone? 

I think I'm picturing mid level all inclusive style hotel resorts when I ask these questions.. 

Would someone kindly set my mind at ease.. I honestly am losing sleep. Haha

Thanks in advance

Don't know what it's like on the lines you are sailing on but we were always able to find a lounger some place on the ship, and being away from the pool provided some quiet. In busy areas they often have waitstaff getting drinks (around the pool for example) but sometimes it's quicker to just go get your own. There can certainly be busy times/busy bars where the wait is more than normal but it's never been that extreme in our experience.

Don't worry! I understand the anxiety - and only actually sailing and going through the cruise will completely set your mind at ease. But, you'll be fine with loungers on both, although you might need to be a little more pro-active on your RC cruise to the Bahamas just because it's a shorter cruise and your fellow passengers will be looking to maximize their Lido deck time. However, since you stated you're ok being a little away from the pool, you'll have plenty of success. I like to go one deck up from Lido (pool); there are usually plenty of loungers up there. Find out if your ship has an "adults" only sun deck - this is usually a nice quiet area but can fill up on sea days.

You'll find wait staff milling around the decks by the pool and at shows taking orders and delivering drinks. They'll approach you or don't hesitate to flag them down. You'll also have no problem going up to the bar for a drink. I've never had to wait a long time doing that.

IMO, I wouldn't say you needed to eat dinner early to ensure a good seat at a bar/lounge. There are generally multiple places and activities going on at any one time, that many people tend to move around throughout the evening. Sometimes arriving early to a show will help with your available seat choices, but for the most part if you're just out and about socializing, you really won't have an issue.

1 hour ago, Rhysmorgan said:

Good afternoon. 

I really need some information from experienced cruisers to help out my mind at ease

We have never cruised before, and have two cruises booked 

Celebrity cruises Aug 2019 Norwegian fjords from Southampton 

Royal carribean Aug 2020 4 night Bahamas from Port canaveral 

My anxiety is basically all based around the same thing.. Over crowding and ability to get service etc. 

We will have drinks cards for each, are the bars busy? Like four deep waiting to get served? Do you grab a table and have table service for drinks and flash your card or is it all up at the bar. In general, does everyone use cruising for alcohol holidays? Or is there simply no issues getting drinks and seats in the bars etc.. Would you have an early dinner in order to strategically get a seat in a bar lounge before it gets busy? Or is there simplly no problems? 

Also sunbeds.. We don't care for sitting round the pool, so no need for the premium ones, but are the enough sunbeds dotted around for everyone.? Would you say if you genuinely don't mind where you go there will be spaces for everyone? 

I think I'm picturing mid level all inclusive style hotel resorts when I ask these questions.. 

Would someone kindly set my mind at ease.. I honestly am losing sleep. Haha

Thanks in advance

the 4  night Royal cruise will have a larger  percentage of people on board there to just drink and yes the lounges do get busy.  the pool bar is almost always 2-3 deep  on sea days and the weather is nice and the number of wandering bar tenders has been greatly reduced, indoors and out.  the Schooner lounge is often used for  trivia and other entertainment( including the Piano  singer)   so is pretty much always  full.   other lounges do not open up until late afternoon, so if you stake a claim early, you can get a premium spot.    other areas do not even have much seating at all so it can be a hunt.

as for  loungers:  plenty  on decks  above the pool/around the walking path

you don't say which ships  so there may be  areas that are quieter but still open.  

never sailed in Europe so cannot really comment on the on board  atmosphere there.  

The loungers first - there are always plenty of them scattered, especially if you do not care if it is by the pool. I've never not found one when I've wanted one. 

Drinks - depending on the time of day and the area of the ship, you can walk up to the bar when no one is there, or there can be a line 4 deep. However, the bartenders are extremely efficient and don't waste time. I think the longest I've ever spent in a line is 7 or 8 minutes. It's rare to actually have to stand in line for a significant amount of time. Also, you're on vacation, so if you have to stand in line for a few minutes, it's not so bad. It's not like at the bar at home.

We, too, have never had an issue with loungers around the pool AREA...we do NOT want to be right beside the pool....too tightly packed.  Go up  a deck and there are more loungers, with more space around you.

Pool bars will be packed when the pool is packed.  Just "belly up" to the bar, and you 'll get served.  No worries!

You're on VACATION...what's your hurry?

• 4 weeks later...

There are times the bars are busy.  And times they are not.

I have not done a short cruise, but from a lot of reading, they are more likely to have crowds at the bars.  But there are also waiters circulating that can take your order and deliver it

Typically, if you do not care where you are located, there are plenty of loungers.  

The biggest problem we have encountered with sunbeds/loungers is if we want one in the shade.  Most ships simply do not have enough shady areas to meet demand.  If you want direct sun there is usually no problem on Celebrity unless you simply must be close to the pool :).    Some ships were designed to offer more shade and in this is the case with the Celebrity Solstice Class which has a pretty expansive shade area near the pool...but this section is normally popular.

As to the drink service on Celebrity, it is hit or miss depending on the cruise.  These days it seems like a majority of Celebrity cruisers opt for unlimited drink packages and this does add more demand at the bars.  During late afternoon/early evening...the very popular Martini bar can sometimes be a 2 or 3 deep with passengers, but it is also a lot of fun.  Table service (for drinks) is also hit/miss depending on the staff.  But we seldom have gone thirsty :).  If you find yourself waiting too long for a waiter to come to your chair/lounger/table just walk over to the nearest bar.

Hank