Bedding replacement

sleepy traveler

My  wife and I are 3 Star on Holland America and I just found out from their guest services that the Duvet Covers are NOT changed or washed between sailings.

I think this is terrible. No wonder there is sickness on board when someone may have been coughing and spreading germs around. I know that the sheets are replaced about 3 times

on a 15 day cruise. I know the sheets are changed between sailings. It is time for the cruise lines to wake up. Hotels usually change the bed spread or Duvet convers.

1 hour ago, sleepy traveler said:

My  wife and I are 3 Star on Holland America and I just found out from their guest services that the Duvet Covers are NOT changed or washed between sailings.

I think this is terrible. No wonder there is sickness on board when someone may have been coughing and spreading germs around. I know that the sheets are replaced about 3 times

on a 15 day cruise. I know the sheets are changed between sailings. It is time for the cruise lines to wake up. Hotels usually change the bed spread or Duvet convers.

No, they do NOT, and these colourful things, togethermwith the fancy cushions are immediately thrown off the bed by me and all my colleagues who practicly live. In hotels.

21 minutes ago, Despegue said:

No, they do NOT, and these colourful things, togethermwith the fancy cushions are immediately thrown off the bed by me and all my colleagues who practicly live. In hotels.

Yep, "Take them away"!!!

2 hours ago, sleepy traveler said:

Really? The duvet covers? Yikes!

Yes...First convo I will have with the steward!

8 minutes ago, Wendy-Europe said:

I think, thats a misunderstanding. Of course the white duvet covers are washed and pressed - but probably the colored bedspreads are not washed.

You think the OP is referring to that narrow strip of fabric that lays across the foot of the bed? 

56 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

You think the OP is referring to that narrow strip of fabric that lays across the foot of the bed? 

Yes - or maybe the OP misunderstood the explanation of guest service.

I am very observant regarding freshness and cleanliness and I am absolut sure, that the duvet covers were fresh from the laundry and from the pressing, when we came to the cabin.

And if you leave the ship you can see the laundry bags at the doors - the stewards put fresh sheets and duvet covers in the drawers under the bed one day before the cruise ends - so they have everything ready to change at arrival day fot the new guests.

• Like 4

When I spoke with Holland America Guest Services at HQ they e mailed the supervisor on the Volendam

who confirmed they Duvet cover are not washed between cruises but are washed periodically.

If you have a serious allergy or germ phobia ask the cabin steward when they were last changed.

We call a down filled  quilt a duvet with a removable slip/cover as a pillowcase is to a pillow.  Think of it perhaps as a duvet protector.  This slip was clean when we boarded and actually cleaned/replaced about once a week on a 4 week cruise.  The top and bottom sheets were changed more frequently.  

The opening of the duvet cover (think of it as a large pillow case) is at the top of the bed rather than the foot so during a night of tossing and turning the actual duvet is exposed even though the top sheet is folded over it by the steward.  

Duvet covers purchased for home use either have button enclosures or zippered one at the open end. We put this end at the foot of the bed but for aesthetic reasons it's hidden at the head on ships and in most hotels.

I suspect those decorative pillows and decorative foot decorative bits are seldom cleaned.  And neither are the actual duvets which in theory should never be seen or near a guest.

I wonder if the debate is more a matter of semantics.

17 minutes ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

In January, we were on a B2B cruise for thirty days.  We were in the room many times when they changed the sheets.  Each time the  sheets were changed the  duvet cover was changed as well.

Thanks, that’s what I have observed in the past.

And DH was in the room on disembarkation day when they came in and definitely everything was sttripped including the duvet covers.

I was also on a B2B where I watched the steward "flip" the room.  He absolutely changed the duvet cover.  I have also seen the items placed in a bag under my bed on the last day of the cruise.  The bag contains sheets, pillowcases and duvet cover.

I agree with other posters who believe just the throw pillows and the small "runner" duvet cover is not washed often.

We ask our steward if the decorative runner and pillows can be stored in our closed and NOT used during our cruise.  It has never been a problem.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The white duvets are always fresh and crisp when we arrive in our stateroom, as are the sheets.

No comment on throw pillows and foot throws, etc.

This seems more likely.