How to pronounce Oceania

ErwinSchrodinger

Long term discussions on this issue!  I personally say "O-shee-AN-a".  Others say O-she-an-I-a.

Most crew I've heard say it the way I do, although on our first cruise in the beginning (2004 I think) our CD said it was properly the second way.  I've heard Frank del Rio say the latter pronunciation is correct but then he himself pronounced it later the way I do ...

My conclusion?  You won't be wrong however you say it.

They did want to name the line Oceana but that name was already taken by a ship, so TPTB added the "i" to the name.

Others will chime in, I'm sure!

Mura

• Like 2

So as not to be confused with the other things (e.g.,  area of the Pacific) also spelled O-C-E-A-N-I-A (and correctly pronounced O-shee-ahn-EE-a) that were around before the cruise line, O uses the O-shee-ahn-NA pronunciation(?).  Of course, that has its own confusion since there's a different company's ship named Oceana.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

That may be Flatbush, but I have to say I have NEVER heard it pronounced that way ... I'm only talking about the emphasis you referenced on the last syllable.  Oh, I guess also the "ahn" just before. 

This is a debate that probably will never be settled!  I'm not sure it matters all that much ...

Mura

this  has been discussed several times here  before & it probably will be discussed many times more

I pronounce it the same a Mura

as long you pay your fare  does anyone really care how you pronounce it :classic_rolleyes:

JMO

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mura said:

That may be Flatbush, but I have to say I have NEVER heard it pronounced that way ... I'm only talking about the emphasis you referenced on the last syllable.  Oh, I guess also the "ahn" just before. 

This is a debate that probably will never be settled!  I'm not sure it matters all that much ...

Mura

The capital letters weren't meant as the emphasis. Rather, I just wanted to draw attention to the difference with/without the "I".

FWIW, I'm in the "Oceania group.

Hi - this is one of my favourite discussion points.  Coming from a non North American standpoint it is almost impossible to pronounce Oceania without using the “i” - thus - o cee ahn ee ah (regardless of the reason the i was added, it’s still there).  I expect to hear an improvement on our next trip in August!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, undertone said:

Hi - this is one of my favourite discussion points.  Coming from a non North American standpoint it is almost impossible to pronounce Oceania without using the “i” - thus - o cee ahn ee ah (regardless of the reason the i was added, it’s still there).  I expect to hear an improvement on our next trip in August!

+1

Phonics forever 😇

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

NOR WEE GEE AN.... 😉

Serbian - is that sər-b-ən or sər-bē-ən

I believe it's the latter and the I is not silent.

English is tricky even for native speakers :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, ErwinSchrodinger said:

It seems to me that “Oceania” would be pronounced “ocean-ee-ah” by how it’s spelled, but I’ve always heard “Ocean-ah” by most, including Oceania ads and videos.  What gives?

That's how we pronounce it.(like you)Looking at how it's spelled, I just think that's the proper way. Now don't get me started on "Caribbean"!

58 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Or how about New Orleans? At least 3 common versions- n'ORluhns, new orLEENS, new ORlee-enz... 

Or, for that matter, Sirena!

591-large-3493894fa4ea036cfc6433c3e2ee63

The Oceania sponsored video of her Christening features at least four versions of the pronunciation of her name.  

• Like 1

Definitive Response: Yes, as in that video, the standard pronunciation used by the company and crew is that the “i” in Oceania is silent, and so it’s pronounced ”Oceanah” with both “a”’s pronounces as in “ah”.