New to cruising, painful learning curve.

SG103

5 hours ago, OhioJourneys said:

As one who retired from the travel industry after more than 20 years, hearing you say you'll never use a travel agent again breaks my heart.  An agent can be a valuable asset.  However, these days, anyone can claim that title and begin an online business.  I recommend you talk to people in your community for a local recommendation.  Look for some one who is certified (things like "member of ASTA", IATA certified, CTC or CTA designations are all good).  Like any professional, your travel agent has valuable experience and insight to things you may never have even considered.  I promise, "try it, you'll like it" with the right agent!

May be things are different in Ohio.   I lives near San Francisco International Airport  in  the bay area, independent agents are a thing of the past, so it depends on where you live whether you can find a high quality agent.  One by one they went out of business here.   Regardless, with a little bit of effort an experienced traveler can do just as well.  

14 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We don't play the OBC game.

Just give us the 8% to 12% off the cruise fare.

I don't either. I want money off of the top.

I also don't want to use a call center and book with order takers. I want a real person.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, SG103 said:

Our first cruise was March 10-17 which I booked directly with cruise line. Now I just finished booking a back to back in December 2019 on Princess Sky with a internet travel agent, it was a nightmare. I will never use a travel agent again. I thought I could leave everything to them, not worry about flights, rooms and they would be able to give me advice. But I ended up with a Stateroom at the very back of the ship and a mess with the travel arrangements, and very time consuming, I spent three days calling and trying to fix things up and still unhappy with the deal. I just gave up, I was surprised.

I would just cancel everything and try again.  There are good travel agents out there, however ones that will handle flights, rooms, etc. are probably rare.  We have used several that are very good.  

As a note, we prefer cabins at the back of the ship, especially compared to the front.

Always book directly with Princess. Just finished my 84th total cruise and would never even look at a travel agent. In my mind all cruise travel agents are worthless and provide nothing. 

Now those happy with agents that is your problem, and you can stay happy. But  please do not think anything anyone could post or do here would ever change my opinion about travel agents. So lets save everyone's time here and do not post back trying to change my opinion. It will never work.

3 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Always book directly with Princess. Just finished my 84th total cruise and would never even look at a travel agent. In my mind all cruise travel agents are worthless and provide nothing. 

Now those happy with agents that is your problem, and you can stay happy. But  please do not think anything anyone could post or do here would ever change my opinion about travel agents. So lets save everyone's time here and do not post back trying to change my opinion. It will never work.

Your posts often seem to be like throw out an opinion, everyone else is nuts, and then "talk to the hand".  People who are happy with their TA do not have a "problem".  People who book with Princess direct and are happy do not have a "problem".  

I'm not interested in changing your opinion - nor attempting to.  If you had not posted at all, I don't think the rest of the Princess CC community would be posting here to change Expat Cruise's mind.  Have a nice day and relax a bit.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Your posts often seem to be like throw out an opinion, everyone else is nuts, and then "talk to the hand".  People who are happy with their TA do not have a "problem".  People who book with Princess direct and are happy do not have a "problem".  

Not at all many others believe booking direct is also the best way.  Travel agents do nothing to improve the cruise booking which is clear from the OP posts.  Much better to deal directly with the cruise lines.... but within a few years you will not have a choice as the cruise lines are moving towards more direct bookings and reducing unneeded fees paid to travel agents for nothing.

8 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Not at all many others believe booking direct is also the best way.  Travel agents do nothing to improve the cruise booking which is clear from the OP posts.  Much better to deal directly with the cruise lines.... but within a few years you will not have a choice as the cruise lines are moving towards more direct bookings and reducing unneeded fees paid to travel agents for nothing.

The OP is but one example.  Some folks rely on a TA to make their travel arrangements with minimal personal involvement.  Others, like myself, are heavily involved and do our own research and make our own decisions.  My TA does nothing but takeover or firm up my booking and give me a great discount off the fare.  It's all I ask of her.  If I need an expert TA to give me advice on travel to some part of the world, I would seek one out and expect to pay (or "pay") something for the service. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The OP is but one example.  Some folks rely on a TA to make their travel arrangements with minimal personal involvement.  Others, like myself, are heavily involved and do our own research and make our own decisions.  My TA does nothing but takeover or firm up my booking and give me a great discount off the fare.  It's all I ask of her.  If I need an expert TA to give me advice on travel to some part of the world, I would seek one out and expect to pay (or "pay") something for the service. 

Again maybe you need the help, but others do not. many of us have never got anything we did not already have from a travel agent . My self I do not like middlemen, it leaves room to blame others, which is not a good thing if you end up in Litigation,

As for paying travel agents they have set up the system, they only get paid when you book with them. So anyone is free to get any information the agent has and then book direct. It is a stupid pay system but the one they set up so no one should feel bad for using TA for information they more then make up for it on the clients they do book.

.... but within a few years you will not have a choice as the cruise lines are moving towards more direct bookings and reducing unneeded fees paid to travel agents for nothing.

I know you are just trolling and should be ignored but heard that prediction about cruise lines and direct bookings before. It was in vogue on the internet 20 years ago that the cruise lines would eliminate travel agent bookings but it never happened. The cruise line that really pushed direct bookings went out of businesses.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I know you are just trolling and should be ignored but heard that prediction about cruise lines and direct bookings before. It was in vogue on the internet 20 years ago that the cruise lines would eliminate travel agent bookings but it never happened. The cruise line that really pushed direct bookings went out of businesses.

Sorry if you do not like the facts but they are the facts travel agents have outlive any usefulness they had, if they ever had any.  It is a simple fact that the business is changing and most agent provide less correct and valid information then the average guests can get online.

So while some may not like the answers it does not change the fact that they are true and correct. If anyone wants to look for tolls here very easy to find them, look at those who are making these false claims of trolls because they lack the ability to carry on  a true discussion of the issues.  

Some people deal directly with cruise line and some deal with local travel agent, and some deal with big box or internet agents.  Everyone have a great day and enjoy your cruise; no matter who you used to book your trip

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Some people deal directly with cruise line and some deal with local travel agent, and some deal with big box or internet agents.  Everyone have a great day and enjoy your cruise; no matter who you used to book your trip

There is another category.

I deal with a real agent who lives across the country. She is a real live person who answers phone calls and emails. Most of my friends do the same. I don't consider her an internet agent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

Sorry if you do not like the facts but they are the facts travel agents have outlive any usefulness they had, if they ever had any.  It is a simple fact that the business is changing and most agent provide less correct and valid information then the average guests can get online.

I am going to disagree here. My agent has been on almost all of the ships out there for the North American market. So she has first hand comparisons. Not only that - she knows all of the higher ups at the cruise lines. So if there is a problem, she can contact someone that we as individuals can not. She has also traveled extensively. Just the experience and contacts she has makes her extremely valuable.

She is also quite successful (she doesn't need new clients, has more than enough with existing). Her clients are very well traveled individuals who may not always need her expertise but when they do, they value it.

The good travel agents are valuable. Maybe others are not.

If you look at those who are very well traveled - most swear by their agent. They could do things on their own but find having a real agent is beneficial to them.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

many of us have never got anything we did not already have from a travel agent .

You already have 8% to 10% reduction in your cruise fare?  I do.  Because I use a TA who gives that.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, GloriaF said:

Not all travel agents are the same.  Don't give up hope of finding a good TA.

It is too bad that we are not allowed to make recommendations on this site, but when you are on a cruise and meet friendly people ask them for recommendations.

I use a local TA for the past 10+ years.  Couldn't be happier.  I don't like talking to a computer OR someone thousands of miles away.  

6 minutes ago, TNT5197 said:

I use a local TA for the past 10+ years.  Couldn't be happier.  I don't like talking to a computer OR someone thousands of miles away.  

That is good that this works for you. I live in a city of almost 300,000 and our travel agents are not that good here. Maybe they are good at Disney vacations. I have a friend who recently used one for an Alaskan cruise tour and came back to me and repeated what they said and it is obvious this person has never been on a cruise or to Alaska. They originally wanted to use a local agent and go and speak to them but they soon realized that their local agent wasn't that good. They followed through with her but said they would not use her again. They also are grateful they know someone who has been to Alaska and can help.