Cancel our insurance

BrandiGreg

If it is fewer than 10 days since you made final payment you may still be able to cancel:

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Std_Landing.html

from p.5 of the policy (select your state of residence to view)(emphasis mine)

This Policy describes all of the travel insurance benefits, underwritten by Allied Property Casualty Insurance Company and herein referred to as the Company. Please refer to the accompanying Confirmation of Coverage as it provides You with specific information about the program You purchased. 

This Policy is issued in consideration of the enrollment and payment of any premium due. All statements in the enrollment are representations and not warranties. Only statements contained in a written enrollment will be used to void insurance, reduce benefits or defend a claim. 

All premium is non-refundable after a ten (10) day review period. 

NO DIVIDENDS WILL BE PAYABLE UNDER THIS POLICY.

Always check the primary source for questions of fact such as this.

(Above link to the policy writing found in the Princess FAQs: https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp)

Edited by fishywood

I didn't mean to sound so harsh......sorry about that.  You could probably cancel the Princess insurance at this point but you won't receive a refund if the 10 days has passed.  Anything after final payment is pretty much locked in so hopefully you won't need the insurance but we always purchase insurance....sometimes from Princess, sometimes thru another company.  We've had to file claims twice due to having to cancel so I'd never leave home without insurance.  

Edited by Diver2014

13 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

Payment of P's insurance is nonrefundable even if paid before cruise final payment. Same with the policies sold through insuremytrip.com.

Not necessarily - read the fine print, as policies/companies will vary.    We had to cancel one cruise (well before final payment date) and did get the insurance cancelled and refunded.    I believe it was medical/evacuation only, so it might have been a different story if it had additional coverage.

Edited by Kartgv

Princess Vacation Protection is fully refundable until the penalty period begins (within a couple of days of final payment). I usually purchase and pay for Princess Vacation Protection when I make a deposit or as soon after the deposit when DW and I have a 60-day period for which we have had a change in diagnosis or treatment (in order to take advantage of the pre-existing condition exclusion). I don't want to wait until final payment and then find that one of us had a change in diagnosis or treatment less than 60 days before final payment. I have cancelled Princess Vacation Protection several times before final payment, and I have always received a refund without any problems.

The Princess Vacation Protection documentation is very clear that you cannot purchase it after final payment and that it is not refundable after the penalty period begins.

The only exception I know to that is the Ten Day Right to Examine (on page 10 of the PVPDETAIL.PDF file). You can cancel within 10 days of receipt of that document. Princess sends you that document when you book selecting Princess Vacation Protection even if you do not purchase it then. If you received that email more than 10 days ago, then this exception would not apply.

You may still want to purchase third party insurance, but it would be in addition to - not instead of - Princess Vacation Protection. If you do so, the cost of the cruise would not be a nonrefundable expense for the third-party insurance to cover. You would be purchasing it only for the increased medical coverage and to cover expenses not provided by Princess (such as non-EZAir flights or other prepaid expenses).

On one case when I had one week in Europe prior to a trans-Atlantic cruise, I found it was less expensive to purchase Princess Vacation Protection for the cruise and third-party insurance without listing the cruise cost than it would have been to purchase the third-party insurance to cover the entire trip including the cruise cost.

4 hours ago, BrandiGreg said:

Does anyone know if you can cancel Princess Vacation Protection after final payment? We found a better insurance plan.

Did you compare the overages closely? You didn't indicate where and how long the cruise was. Using credit card coverage and other policies, people get the cost way down, but over look getting home in an emergency. In 2013 a cruiser took a $44k hit for a broken hip in Switzerland. We try to get at least $100k outside on North America now days.