Bremerhaven, Germany

Laflia

While it has been many years since my visit to Bremerhaven, our visit to the Maritime Museum was very interesting.  From the details in the above link to the  Best Things in Bremerhaven, it appears that the Museum has expanded.  Also, there are other attractions that I don't recall being available when we visited.

Beyond the Maritime Museum and U-Boat, which are great, I do recommend checking out a small boat tour of the city, making sure to get one that goes through the cargo area of the port. The operation in Bremerhaven is quite impressive. 

That's if you don't want to hop the 40-minute train down to Bremen. Bremen can get a bad rap as a "boring" city by some German's, but I have spent lots of time there working for Airbus and have enjoyed it. It's not massive by any means, but it's a nice little city. 

Edited by Zach1213

I agree the maritime museum is nice (though most narratives are in German).  They have a very nice water front (when the weather is decent) including a nice zoo and maybe a place or two to grab a bite or drink including on a moored schooner.  Nearby, also walking distance, is an indoor mall called the Columbus Center.  I won't say it is super.  I'd rather walk the water front but is an alternative if the weather is not decent.

I wonder what excursions the cruise line offers you?  Not too far off are beaches like in Cuxhaven or quaint little towns to sit and watch the day go by (perhaps on a lake) like Bederkesa or take a ferry to Denmark..

7 hours ago, WmFoster said:

I agree the maritime museum is nice (though most narratives are in German)

When I visited some time ago, that was my experience.  My two years of college German helped, but not 100%.  I thought maybe translations into other languages might have happened since my visit.  Regardless, I think for anyone interested in maritime history, they would enjoy their visit to this Museum.