Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks Haworth...planning the Antiquities cruise for fall of '21 - dates aren't out yet for it. I just noticed I have a lot of info on that cruise I copied in from CC - thinking it might have been from you (?)  What I have refers to it having been on the Jupiter and (your...someone else perhaps?) 4th cruise with Viking and "one of the best". Don't know who I copied it from though....

Not sure, we did in November/December 2017, if you have any specific queries I will do my best to answer, its a great trip, the weather was amazing and that was a real bonus

We are leaving tomorrow for Miami where we will board the Oceania Insignia and travel through the Caribbean and on through the Panama Canal. This journey will end for us at our "home town", San Francisco in about 18 days. This is our first major cruise since our Viking Sky adventure and our first journey through this part of the world. We did take a 3 day journey last September on Hurtigruten back at the fjords. We are hoping for a very boring journey this time. We have learned to pay very close attention at the muster drills.

Catch you all again in a few weeks. Keep up with the informative posts.

Stay Dry!😄

• Like 1

Lovely to hear from you JD. 

This sounds like a wonderful trip, relax and enjoy yourselves, stash the grim Sky memories away somewhere so they can't spoil things for you

Hopefully the sea will be calm and the sky will be blue! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You beat me to it.... 🙂 Was just going to log on and post something about the first anniversary. As I think I mentioned somewhere along the way on CC, wouldn't we all do it again in a heartbeat if it could somehow negate what's going on now?  I sure would (of course, assuming the outcome would be as positive). 

Can you believe it's a year already?  Stay safe...and healthy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Does anyone know what became of our captain?  He was fantastic, as was everyone involved.  Never heard any further mention of him later on.

Shortly after the incident, we set up a Google Alert with the captain's name to monitor any news coverage. There were a few stories in the first month, but nothing after that.

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Shortly after the incident, we set up a Google Alert with the captain's name to monitor any news coverage. There were a few stories in the first month, but nothing after that.

As the Captains are employed by the Ship Manager, even if not currently working on a Viking ship, he is most likely working for the same ship manager on one of the other companies they serve - could be passenger, cargo, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johneb2 said:

He was fantastic

I have no idea what makes you say this quite honestly.  I feel that both before and during the incident that captain did not keep us well informed at all. On our last cruise the captain was constantly updating us as to impending storm conditions, what we were going to do about it in the way of altering itinerary to avoid it, he held two presentations in the ship theatre very well prepared with graphs, charts, etc. showing what sea conditions would have been had we stuck to the original itinerary compared to what we actually experienced by changing course. We were so impressed and talked afterwards about how so much of that seemed to be totally lacking on the Sky. Thankfully things went as well as they did and whatever credit is due the captain with regards to that, I'm more than appreciative, but after my last cruise experience I feel it is was greatly remiss of him to have not kept us better informed. Without any prior notification whatsoever about the bad weather we were about to encounter, all of a sudden we're in a mayday situation. I'm fairly certain I'm not alone in expressing these thoughts either. I'd be just as happy to not have him again. Sorry but those are my thoughts. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I went back a little bit and came across something I posted back in November...  

I remember the master saying something about how we were going to try to stick with more inside passages as much as possible but will likely need to get back out farther from the coast. Then, I recall practically nothing until "code echo" was announced in the theatre. Shortly after, the general alarm sounded. Was there anything else announced, ship-wide, between Friday evening and Saturday morning, relative to the weather conditions, any particular plans to circumvent them, or change course, etc.?"

....to which Haworth responded that this is exactly how he remembers it as well. IF there were any announcements warning of the approaching weather, or even during it beginning Friday evening into Saturday, I sure never heard them. While we were lined up in the stairwells (for hours) waiting to get up to the helicopter, there were updated announcements but only relative to the status of the rescue efforts.

What I wonder is whether the more positive perception of the captain - such as John alluded to - is perhaps more that of people who stayed on the ship rather than evacuate?  Certainly that was a different experience than what we had. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I went back a little bit and came across something I posted back in November...  

I remember the master saying something about how we were going to try to stick with more inside passages as much as possible but will likely need to get back out farther from the coast. Then, I recall practically nothing until "code echo" was announced in the theatre. Shortly after, the general alarm sounded. Was there anything else announced, ship-wide, between Friday evening and Saturday morning, relative to the weather conditions, any particular plans to circumvent them, or change course, etc.?"

....to which Haworth responded that this is exactly how he remembers it as well. IF there were any announcements warning of the approaching weather, or even during it beginning Friday evening into Saturday, I sure never heard them. While we were lined up in the stairwells (for hours) waiting to get up to the helicopter, there were updated announcements but only relative to the status of the rescue efforts.

What I wonder is whether the more positive perception of the captain - such as John alluded to - is perhaps more that of people who stayed on the ship rather than evacuate?  Certainly that was a different experience than what we had. 

Carolyn & I were on the 2nd level muster station.  Once the incident happened, the captain was keeping us accurately informed approximately every 20 minutes about our status and the ongoing rescue efforts, as well as the evacuation status.  We were evacuated about 5am on Sunday morning.  Before the incident, I only recall two or three announcements being made about the impending weather situation.  Our review of the captain is based upon how he handled the situation, communication, and advising the crew procedures once the incident happened. We still feel he, as well as the crew were fantastic, given the situation. We honestly can't judge his actions before that as we feel we are not qualified, and most likely don't know all the facts that went into his decisions.  While reading reports on it, I am sure it does not reflect everything that was going on.  Most importantly though, is nobody lost their lives, some injuries yes.  We believe that positive result was a result of his post incident actions.  Also to note, the captain did explain the delay with the helicopter evacuation, explaining that one helicopter had to be diverted to assist a tanker which had suffered engine failure, hitting the rocks, as well as the high winds which were hampering efforts.  (Note: The tanker had arrived on the scene to assist us when their engine failure happened.)  He did further update us then we had the full compliment of 3 helicopters.   Johneb

15 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Carolyn & I were on the 2nd level muster station.  Once the incident happened, the captain was keeping us accurately informed approximately every 20 minutes about our status and the ongoing rescue efforts, as well as the evacuation status.  We were evacuated about 5am on Sunday morning.  Before the incident, I only recall two or three announcements being made about the impending weather situation.  Our review of the captain is based upon how he handled the situation, communication, and advising the crew procedures once the incident happened. We still feel he, as well as the crew were fantastic, given the situation. We honestly can't judge his actions before that as we feel we are not qualified, and most likely don't know all the facts that went into his decisions.  While reading reports on it, I am sure it does not reflect everything that was going on.  Most importantly though, is nobody lost their lives, some injuries yes.  We believe that positive result was a result of his post incident actions.  Also to note, the captain did explain the delay with the helicopter evacuation, explaining that one helicopter had to be diverted to assist a tanker which had suffered engine failure, hitting the rocks, as well as the high winds which were hampering efforts.  (Note: The tanker had arrived on the scene to assist us when their engine failure happened.)  He did further update us then we had the full compliment of 3 helicopters.   Johneb

Speaking of reports:  Does anybody know when the Norwegian authorities will release their final report on the Sky?  The interim report came out more than four months ago, and a year has passed since the incident itself.  It would be helpful for the authorities to release the final, soon, so that blame can be apportioned (if any) and measures taken to prevent similar incidents in the future.  

• Like 1

John..point well taken as to the captain's updating once evacuation began. And, as I said, all credit to him for whatever decisions were made to avert catastrophe. I suspect you heard many more announcements than we did, being that we've always believed we had to be among the first groups to leave the ship. I'd say by about 5 p.m or maybe a bit later we were probably already off. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

21 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Speaking of reports:  Does anybody know when the Norwegian authorities will release their final report on the Sky? 

Individuals can sign up for email notifications on the Accident Investigation Board Norway website. That's how we learned about the interim report release.

Edited by JDincalif

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Two years ago today!!! 

Please see my recent update here on the new tunnel being built. Wish it had been there back on 3/23/19

🤞🏼

Here's to us all - long may we thrive and soon may we travel!🤞🏼

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 4

On 3/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Two years ago today!!! 

Please see my recent update here on the new tunnel being built. Wish it had been there back on 3/23/19

I read about the tunnel, but was wondering on how large it was going to be?  Would it be able to accommodate cruise ships?  It seems that if it could, it would be an experience in itself.  JohnEB

John....I believe, upon further research, that the Viking ocean ships are too large - based on gross tonnage alone (around 47,000). Tunnel looks to accommodate vessels up to 14,000. Darn...oh well.....it would be a neat experience. Even the Hurtigruten ferries show as being more than 14,000. 

Then again, just came across another article about it that mentioned the following:

The Stad Ship Tunnel is remarkable for its size and design. At 165 feet tall and 188 feet wide, it’s big enough for a 35-million pound ship to pass through. A canal would accommodate taller ships, but Andreassan says building one would be impossible. The mountain through which the tunnel will run rises more than 1,100 feet into the air. To dig a tunnel, workers will have to remove nearly 18-billion pounds of rock; constructing a canal---what is essentially a tunnel without a roof---would require crews to remove far more.

Andy or Jim....thoughts on this?  Big enough to accommodate Viking or not? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

5 hours ago, johneb2 said:

I read about the tunnel, but was wondering on how large it was going to be?  Would it be able to accommodate cruise ships?  It seems that if it could, it would be an experience in itself.  JohnEB

I've read a couple of articles on the proposed tunnel, reporting beams of 118' and 87'. I believe the 87' beam is correct, which is too narrow for Viking Ocean ships. Even if it was 118', which is a few feet wider than Panama, I highly doubt any Master would take his/her ship through a mile long tunnel with only a few feet clearance each side. The bank suction and squat forces are way too extreme and with minimal clearance below and on both sides, extreme power is required to push against the water being displaced.

The air draft at 108' is also insufficient for Viking Ocean ships.

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks Andy.  So then the tunnel is not really designed for any other than smaller container ships and such. Oh well,  have to take my chances again with Hustadvika if we'd go on another NL trip. 

Affirmative, I believe they are focussing on local coasters, supply boats, F/V's, etc. The other consideration with ships the size of Viking Ocean is how to vent the exhaust gases from a tunnel a mile long. Cruise ships this size have a considerable hotel load, in addition to propulsion requirements.