Would you like to see more of the Koningsdam ?

sailingdutchy

Heads up specially for the Canadians amongst you , It will be on later in the US .

Koningsdam to be Featured on Mighty Cruise Ships 

Submitted by: Daniel

If you’re a fan of Holland America Line, and of documentaries, we have some news for you! Koningsdam will be the focal point of the first episode of season three of Mighty Cruise Ships: Koningsdam airing this Sunday, March 31, 7:00 p.m. (EDT) on the Canadian network Discovery Canada.

After airing in Canada, the episode will also air in the United States, Europe, Australia and elsewhere on the below television networks:

• United States: Smithsonian
  • United Kingdom: Quest
  • Netherlands: Discovery Channel Netherlands
  • Australia: 7mate
  • Belgium: Discover Channel Belgium

(Note – dates and times are to be determined, so make sure to check your local listings.)

Mighty Cruise Ships is a documentary series that gives viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the voyages of a variety of cruise-ships. It is produced by Exploration Production Inc. for Discovery Canada and distributed to more than 70 countries including the United States of America, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Rim.

An aerial shot of Koningsdam during the filming of Might Cruise Ships.

The first of Holland America Line’s Pinnacle-class ships, Koningsdam combines 21st- century elegance and nautical tradition. Inspired by music, her design features fluid lines, light-filled spaces and innovative, new dining and entertainment venues—from the dazzling, two-story World Stage to Music Walk™, with Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King’s Blues Club and Billboard Onboard.

If you’re in Canada, mark your calendars for this Sunday, March 31st at 7:00 PM (EDT) to watch Koningsdam on Mighty Cruise Ships and make sure to follow @HALCruises for more information on airing times in other markets. Can’t wait to watch? Get a sneak peek below!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have done some research and it looks like it will be shown in the U.K. on the “Discovery” channel, which is a subscription channel. Quest is free to air.  

Edited by Katie52

My personal observations of the Koningsdam .

Even though we have been twice on the Koningsdam . The Premier Cruise from Rome in 2016 and the Florida to the ABC Islands last year , I still have some very conflicting feelings about the Koningsdam . We love the multiple choices in specialty dining specially the Tamarind , the Rudy's Sel de Mer and in a lesser way a downgraded Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto because of lay out and furnishing . We absolutely loved the Grand Dutch Cafe as an option with the Best Coffee on the ship and the many "Dutch " treats . What will be finally done in the once called Culinary Arts Center after twice being a failure in some peoples eyes , is still a work in progress .

We enjoyed the World Stage very much and also some of the musical venues around the ship specially since  they moved the Lincoln Center Stage  ( at least on the Nieuw Statendam ) to the Queens Lounge . BBKing and the bands are usually very good but way , way too loud almost painful to sit there and enjoy a beverage . We enjoyed our cabins even if they are a little bit tighter than on some of the other ships . 

The ships crew was fantastic , very professional and enthoust.

Some of my personal dislikes are the incredible noisy main dining room , on a table for eight it is near impossible to hear a friend on the other side  ( and I have pretty good hearing ) nor do I like the furnishings , my apologies , but I call it the Ikea Room . 

We miss very much the nice wrap around  Promenade deck where people could easily walk or lay around , reading a book in a chair or looking at the horizon . This because of the life boats being in a different position than before for one reason to create more Verandah Staterooms .

What I really miss is that nowhere on the ship there is any sign of a proud 145 year old Company , that has just been thrown away , is that the right way to compete with other lines or to look for a different crowd ?

No Captain Card paintings ( except for 1 in the Crow's nest ) no pictures of years gone bye , no historic statues or furniture to be found only Modern Art made out of synthetic materials. Even the logo was changed a couple of years ago and the "Halve Maen " is gone .

These are only my personal observations , you can call me old fashioned , we do things because it feels right . Please make your own observations and see if this " New and Improved " ?

We will be going twice more on the Koningsdam this year , but only after saying first a long goodbye to the Prinsendam the  "Elegant Explorer " ...........

Tony 

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, Tony.  We will be watching the Mighty Ship!  

We we are also conflicted about the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  It was very sad to travel for the last time on Prinsendam.  And I get sadder every time I think about her leaving.  She was never my favourite ship, but she had the best itineraries and we spent many happy days on board.  It is like comparing apples and oranges .  We really like the variety of dining venues on the larger ships.  But as you said, gone are the days of the classic HAL ships.  We have a cruise booked on Koningsdam and one on Zuiderdam, and then we shall see what we want to do next.

Have a great final cruise on Prinsendam and the same to Kazu!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

....................................... . What will be finally done in the once called Culinary Arts Center after twice being a failure in some peoples eyes , is still a work in progress......................................... .

You are right on with that one, Tony! Club Orange and/or the space it currently occupies on K-dam and, I believe Nieuw S, is a dilemma for HAL. They are currently hosting PS and NS pax in there for breakfast and dinner (taking the place of the Pinnacle Grill, at least for breakfast). The service by the five Indonesian waiters, currently Yoeris, Dodi, Made, Andi and Yus, and one Filipino wine steward, Artemio until last Wed,  in there is personal, attentive and very good under the guidance of an Indonesian manager, currently Mr. Jaya. There is a Mexican chef, currently Ivan, who is assisted by two Filipino asst. cooks, currently Aqe and Raymond. Ivan makes the rounds by each occupied table more than once during both breakfast and dinner. 

The breakfast menu is identical to the PG menu as is the dinner menu to what is being served in the MDR with the exception that the CO menu has a nightly special. The food was good in Club Orange! The decor is modern and definitely not classic like in the PG. The food preparation area is in full view of the restaurant, so not inside the main galley which is located directly behind CO.

HAL's dilemma is who to get in to Club Orange, read pay the hefty price, besides the aforementioned PS and NS pax who incur no fee to dine inside. Club Orange is still a work in progress........

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, table and indoor

Image may contain: food and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting, table and indoor

• Like 1

You are right on with that one, Tony! Club Orange and/or the space it currently occupies on K-dam and, I believe Nieuw S, is a dilemma for HAL. They are currently hosting PS and NS pax in there for breakfast and dinner (taking the place of the Pinnacle Grill, at least for breakfast). 

Sounds great John ,  I would like to try it but not at $50 pp per day . Why only restrict it to the people from the suites and who pay this exhorbitant daily fee  and set up a " Club Orange " .  With 2 people in a cabin on a 24 day cruise that adds up !  For sure they will have to review this otherwise it will become a third failure ! 

We really enjoyed the initial set up and went there three times on the Premier Koningsdam cruise but they just could not attract enough people even on a Trans Atlantic . They had great menues and we loved the wine that kept flowing .

5 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

You are right on with that one, Tony! Club Orange and/or the space it currently occupies on K-dam and, I believe Nieuw S, is a dilemma for HAL. They are currently hosting PS and NS pax in there for breakfast and dinner (taking the place of the Pinnacle Grill, at least for breakfast). 

Sounds great John ,  I would like to try it but not at $50 pp per day . Why only restrict it to the people from the suites and who pay this exhorbitant daily fee  and set up a " Club Orange " .  With 2 people in a cabin on a 24 day cruise that adds up !  For sure they will have to review this otherwise it will become a third failure ! 

We really enjoyed the initial set up and went there three times on the Premier Koningsdam cruise but they just could not attract enough people even on a Trans Atlantic . They had great menues and we loved the wine that kept flowing .

And that's their current problem; if you take away the complimentary service and food for the PS and NS occupants, who is going to show up in Club Orange at the current fare base?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Isn’t that funny because I was just thinking there was too much Norway and not enough ship.  I happen to be in Canada, right now, so I lucked out.

I was hoping to see more of the ship too, but it’s definitely interesting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Isn’t that funny because I was just thinking there was too much Norway and not enough ship.  I happen to be in Canada, right now, so I lucked out.

We've cruised on the K'dam but haven't sailed to Norway previously, so the mix worked for us. If you've sailed to Norway and seen these ports previously, I can understand your preference.

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

How long was the documentary?  60 minutes? I'm thinking someone will put it on YouTube

Yes, give or take a minute. I'm not sure about YouTube, but it does have a lot of other Discovery programs.

I thought it was a very good documentary / show . A great commercial for Norway cruises with HAL . Always wanted to go to the North Cape or even higher to Spitsbergen so it was good for DW to see some of that footage , she might now want to join me , haha . 

Some very interesting camera shots and also some good technical information well explained. The maintenance of the azipods and the technician crawling into the azipods to check on a possible oil leak was some very good footage imo. 

Tony image.png.95403302f0a740374daed02e3699359c.png

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, sailingdutchy said:

Heads up specially for the Canadians amongst you , It will be on later in the US .

Koningsdam to be Featured on Mighty Cruise Ships 

Submitted by: Daniel

If you’re a fan of Holland America Line, and of documentaries, we have some news for you! Koningsdam will be the focal point of the first episode of season three of Mighty Cruise Ships: Koningsdam airing this Sunday, March 31, 7:00 p.m. (EDT) on the Canadian network Discovery Canada.

After airing in Canada, the episode will also air in the United States, Europe, Australia and elsewhere on the below television networks:

• United States: Smithsonian
  • United Kingdom: Quest
  • Netherlands: Discovery Channel Netherlands
  • Australia: 7mate
  • Belgium: Discover Channel Belgium

(Note – dates and times are to be determined, so make sure to check your local listings.)

Mighty Cruise Ships is a documentary series that gives viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the voyages of a variety of cruise-ships. It is produced by Exploration Production Inc. for Discovery Canada and distributed to more than 70 countries including the United States of America, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, and the Pacific Rim.

An aerial shot of Koningsdam during the filming of Might Cruise Ships.

The first of Holland America Line’s Pinnacle-class ships, Koningsdam combines 21st- century elegance and nautical tradition. Inspired by music, her design features fluid lines, light-filled spaces and innovative, new dining and entertainment venues—from the dazzling, two-story World Stage to Music Walk™, with Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King’s Blues Club and Billboard Onboard.

If you’re in Canada, mark your calendars for this Sunday, March 31st at 7:00 PM (EDT) to watch Koningsdam on Mighty Cruise Ships and make sure to follow @HALCruises for more information on airing times in other markets. Can’t wait to watch? Get a sneak peek below!

I saw the show and it was so fun to watch.  Even though I've never been on the Konings ship, I'm doing the Voyage of the Midnight Sun next month on the Rotterdam and we're going to the same (and a few more) ports.  Can't wait.