Help needed for packing question - ladies please

VitaminSea53

I leave on the Nieuw Statendam next weekend and I haven’t cruised to the Caribbean in eons.( I mostly cruise in cooler weather). I am trying to pack and big question came about. Given that it will be hot 70’s & 80’s outside, how warm/ cool will it be in the MDR and other interior spaces. Should I be packing a light sweater / warm shawl?  If I am sleeveless, will I be chilly in the MDR?  Thank you so much!!

I always wear something to cover my arms and shoulders when I am on the ship. I think the ships are kept cooler to keep germs away. Even on the Lido deck around the pool I can get chilled. I have a lightweight shawl for evenings and wear 3/4 length sleeves or a light sweater over a blouse during the day. But that is just me. I seem to always run on the cold side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely take a shawl, shrug or cardigan with you for the evenings.

It can be cool when you are out on deck and depending on the ship, some of the public areas can be quite cool while others will not be.

• Like 1

I find the public  areas onboard to be much colder than I like. Onboard, I wear closed toe shoes, long sleeves, and long pants.  I save the summer clothes for shore excursions.   FWIW, I often am cold on airplane flights, too.  Everybody is different so YMMV.

26 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I have always found the MDR to be cooler, or even chilly.  Have some kind of wrap for evening dining, or a long sleeved

garment.  You will be glad you did.

Marianne😃

OK..... Hmmmm. I just packed up a bunch of sleeveless tops/ dresses. I did pack a cardigan but Maybe I need to rethink this. Are other indoor areas - bars- music venues- etc “chilly” ?

Just now, VitaminSea53 said:

OK..... Hmmmm. I just packed up a bunch of sleeveless tops/ dresses. I did pack a cardigan but Maybe I need to rethink this. Are other indoor areas - bars- music venues- etc “chilly” ?

As I said above, you'll get different responses because everyone is different.  Do you run cold or warm?  I always bring a wrap of some kind but rarely ever use it. Some areas I've found chilly, depending on the ship, but I've never been cold in the MDR.   Bring a couple, then you'll have them if you need them.  🙂  

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

As I said above, you'll get different responses because everyone is different.  Do you run cold or warm?  I always bring a wrap of some kind but rarely ever use it. Some areas I've found chilly, depending on the ship, but I've never been cold in the MDR.   Bring a couple, then you'll have them if you need them.  🙂  

I tend to run warm so maybe sleeveless will be OK and carry a wrap just in case?

4 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I tend to run warm so maybe sleeveless will be OK and carry a wrap just in case?

You sound like me, I run warm too.  My sister is the opposite, cold all the time. We can be in the same room and it doesn't feel the same to us.

A wrap doesn't take up much space in your luggage, and it will be there if you need it 🙂  

If you experience wind or rainy weather, even in the Caribbean, you may be cool or even cold!  This is not to mention air conditioning onboard or on excursion buses or in excursion venues (museums, restaurants, shops). Bring a sweater!

I’d suggest a wrap or two depending on the length of your itinerary. We were on the NS in January for 17 days and the temp in the public areas varied between cool and VERY cool. I had packed a bunch of sleeveless things and was quite happy to have a lightweight sweater for my shoulders in the evening.

Happy cruising!