Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

CharTrav

Just posted an update.  The ReadMe tab includes a better explanation of how GroupCodes are used to indicate which cruises, for a given ship, are segments/variants of a larger parent cruise, e.g., Iconic Mediterranean Treasures (IMT) with its nine shorter variants.  Also added some GroupCodes to cover new cruises.  And.. corrected the Region for Viking World Cruise I and Viking World Cruise II that should been World, not Grand.  A shout out to @BluebonnetTexan who pointed out the need for this update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Another update -- this time for Viking Expeditions.  The schedule has been extended into September 2025.  Three new cruises have been added that have caught my interest:  Canada & Greenland Explorer, Canada & the Northwest Passage, and Into the Northwest Passage. Am treating them as a Cruise Group (with a GroupCode). Just need to convince my other half we should do either Canada & Greenland Explorer (better IMHO than Canadian Discovery that I've had on my wish list) or Canada & the Northwest Passage.   As always -- use the link provided on the the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy.  If you don't already have a copy of the spreadsheet, use the DropBox link (along with instructions) provided in my Signature block to download the spreadsheet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gang -- I should have waited a few more days before I posted the update on May 19.  Apparently, the VE schedule was still changing. I swear, I don't recall any time when a cruise is simply deleted without replacing it with something else at the same time

When I was doing the update on 19 May, two Polaris cruises in Oct 2024 (Canada & the Atlantic Coastline) and Nov 2024 (Atlantic Coastline and Patagonia Shores) had been deleted.  I made the deletion without either noting the fact they'd been deleted or noticing that neither of them had a replacement . These replacements may have appeared later that day (don't know) but when I checked again on May 22nd (on a whim), I noticed two new cruises Canada & East Coast Explorer (Oct '24) and Chilean Fjords & Scenic Shores (Nov '24).  Together with Panama & Scenic South America, they are (for Polaris) segments of Longitudinal World Cruise IV.  I didn't make the connection between these two new and two deleted cruises deleted until 2 days ago. Anyway -- I've held off posting the updated schedule with the two new cruises I noticed on May 22nd until today.

As always -- use the link provided on the the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy.  If you don't already have a copy of the spreadsheet, use the DropBox link (along with instructions) provided in my Signature block to download the spreadsheet.

• Thanks 2

FYI -- there's a new ocean ship scheduled to be built in 2024 and operate in 2025.  I'm trying to find out more about her from Customer Relations.  At this point, it's shown on the main VO (.com for the US) site in the schedule part but not elsewhere; however, it is shown as part of the Viking Ocean fleet on the canada and .uk sites (haven't checked other sites).  Am seemingly blocked from looking at it on the .uk site -- it grays over and goes dead shortly after it displays.  But can see and interact with it on the canada site (https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/ships/viking-vela.html). Which is how I found that it is a larger ship -- carries 998 vs 930 pax; length of 784 vs 745 ft, and beam of 101 vs 94 ft.  I'll post the updated schedule after Customer Relations gets back to me.  In addition to confirming what I'm seeing,  I want to learn more about it including the rationale for increasing the ship size and the story behind the name.  But did want you to be kept up to date.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

FYI -- there's a new ocean ship scheduled to be built in 2024 and operate in 2025.  I'm trying to find out more about her from Customer Relations.  At this point, it's shown on the main VO (.com for the US) site in the schedule part but not elsewhere; however, it is shown as part of the Viking Ocean fleet on the canada and .uk sites (haven't checked other sites).  Am seemingly blocked from looking at it on the .uk site -- it grays over and goes dead shortly after it displays.  But can see and interact with it on the canada site (https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/ships/viking-vela.html). Which is how I found that it is a larger ship -- carries 998 vs 930 pax; length of 784 vs 745 ft, and beam of 101 vs 94 ft.  I'll post the updated schedule after Customer Relations gets back to me.  In addition to confirming what I'm seeing,  I want to learn more about it including the rationale for increasing the ship size and the story behind the name.  But did want you to be kept up to date.

Seems this is most likely one of the hydrogen fuel ships. They said the design would be expanded to fit in the tanks and 34 more rooms sounds about right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Seems this is most likely one of the hydrogen fuel ships. They said the design would be expanded to fit in the tanks and 34 more rooms sounds about right.

Really?? Could you post a link to where you learned about this?  Thanks!

Thank you CharTrav for finding the Viking Vela.

As you have pointed out the Vela being wider and longer with more pax onboard with added staterooms 

Just compared cabin sizing on the web site, the staterooms sizing between VO Ships have also grown with the new Vela.

VO Ships to Saturn - Vela

V's size: 270 sq ft (includes veranda) - Vela size: 288 sq ft (includes veranda)

DV's size: 270 sq ft (includes veranda) - Vela size: 288 sq ft (includes veranda)

PV's size: 338 sq ft (includes veranda) - Vela size: 360 sq ft (includes veranda)

PS's size: 405 sq ft (includes veranda) - Vela size: 432 sq ft (includes veranda)

ES's size: 757–1,163 sq ft (includes private veranda) - Vela size: 808–1,215 sq ft (includes veranda)

OS size 1,448 sq ft  - Vela size: 1,488 sq ft multi-room suite including veranda

Would that make for more room in any of the other areas such as Torshavn, speciality restaurants, etc? I am not sure...

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

First links found:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6901/

Thanks alot.  This explains much. Looking forward to email or call from Customer Relations. Hoping to find out the story behind the name choice. Will help with my color coding. As much as I can, I’ve tried to match the color code to the ship name (e.g., Mars is a shade of red, Saturn is a shade of gold, basically what I’d used for Sun before, etc.). But what color code should I use for Vela? 🤔

10 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Thanks alot.  This explains much. Looking forward to email or call from Customer Relations. Hoping to find out the story behind the name choice. Will help with my color coding. As much as I can, I’ve tried to match the color code to the ship name (e.g., Mars is a shade of red, Saturn is a shade of gold, basically what I’d used for Sun before, etc.). But what color code should I use for Vela? 🤔

I just did a quick google search... Vela is a name of a Constellation in the Southern sky.  Vela is a Latin word fro sail...

15 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I just did a quick google search... Vela is a name of a Constellation in the Southern sky.  Vela is a Latin word fro sail...

So what color should I use? Any ideas? What base color? I sit there and twiddle with RGB settings to get a precise setting. 

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

Vela means candle in Spanish.  Barco de vela means sailboat.  White?

• Thanks 2

Vela = “Sails” of the Ship.

Vela is a constellation in the southern sky, which contains the Vela Supercluster. Its name is Latin for the sails of a ship, and it was originally part of a larger constellation, the ship Argo Navis, which was later divided into three parts, the others being Carina and Puppis”   - Wikipedia 

Edited by PeabodyMa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been thinking a cream color.  Also that I'll hold off posting an update for a week or so to allow (a) for more additions from Viking and (b) me to update the spreadsheet to accommodate this new ship. 

• Thanks 2

Updating the spreadsheet to include Vela didn't take that long. I spent a lot of time a while ago setting it up so new ships could be added easily. Guess my effort paid off. Anyway - I'm still going to wait a few weeks just in case they haven't finished adding more cruises for Vela. 

Took your advice and chose a nice cream color. A very very pale yellow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This article, originally posted by @FetaCheese mentions that that Viking Star will be going in for its 10 year drydock "soon"

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/refurb-interiors/after-more-100-viking-ships-rottet-studio-stays-engaged

So I took a look at your spreadsheet and, sure enough, there is a gap of about a month in The Star's schedule for November 2024. This is not very soon, but I wonder if that explains the gap?

The article also hints that there might be some interior refurbishment/restyling taking place while the ship is laid up. It will be interesting to see what Viking have planned.

56 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

This article, originally posted by @FetaCheese mentions that that Viking Star will be going in for its 10 year drydock "soon"

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/refurb-interiors/after-more-100-viking-ships-rottet-studio-stays-engaged

So I took a look at your spreadsheet and, sure enough, there is a gap of about a month in The Star's schedule for November 2024. This is not very soon, but I wonder if that explains the gap?

The article also hints that there might be some interior refurbishment/restyling taking place while the ship is laid up. It will be interesting to see what Viking have planned.

Thanks for the info.  As you know I’ve been intrigued by that gap for months. Noticed some small additions to the 2025 schedule this week for Saturn and VE ships. Am waiting to see if more additions are made to 2025 during the next week before I post the updated spreadsheet. Will definitely post before we leave for Bergen the first week of July!

20 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Thanks for the info.  As you know I’ve been intrigued by that gap for months. Noticed some small additions to the 2025 schedule this week for Saturn and VE ships. Am waiting to see if more additions are made to 2025 during the next week before I post the updated spreadsheet. Will definitely post before we leave for Bergen the first week of July!

I hate I won’t get to meet you we leave for Bergen from Reykjavik on July 19th-are you disembarking there on the same date?   Maybe we can grab a cup of coffee?

I have a favor to ask, if you get wind of info on the 25/26 World Cruise please holler!  

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I hate I won’t get to meet you we leave for Bergen from Reykjavik on July 19th-are you disembarking there on the same date?   Maybe we can grab a cup of coffee?

I have a favor to ask, if you get wind of info on the 25/26 World Cruise please holler!  

Wish I could too - but we start the British Isles Explorer in Bergen on July 9 and will be heading to Dover on the 19th. Regardless, I’ll keep an eye (or two) out for the next world cruise. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have been working off and on updating the Consolidated Schedule throughout June -- tracking the changes. Some were temporary (web site update error??) so am glad I didn't post this 2 weeks ago.  Would have caused an unnecessary panic for those who were booked on VE's Antarctica & S. Georgia Island.  It mysteriously disappeared off the schedule posted on the web site on June 11th but then, sometime during the past week (I was away and not checking), returned yesterday  Thus I think it must have been a web update error.  A boo-boo.🤪

For VO. Viking's newest ship called the Vela is scheduled starting in 2025 doing existing itineraries -- nothing new. Added a sailing of Atlantic & Mediterranean Odyssey for the Star in March 2024 (filling in gaps??). More Med cruises have been added for Saturn in 2025.  Added 2 sailings of Rhine & Viking Shores & Fjords for the Neptune in 2025.  Bottom line -- VO ship schedules  are full into Aug 2025 except for Star, Orion, & Vela (Sept) and Mars & Saturn (Oct) and with the caveat that Vela doesn't begin sailing until Jan 2025 (Saturn's maiden cruise was last May).

For VE, added Argentina & Chilean Fjords in 2025.  Ignoring the mis-fire with Antarctica & S. Georgia Island, that's been the only change. Octantis & Polaris are each scheduled through Sept 2025.

As always -- if you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, use the link on the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy. If you don't, just use the link to the DropBox folder containing the spreadsheet provided in my signature box. 

By the way -- I got thinking last night that some of you more geeky types might be interested in the hidden mechanics of this spreadsheet.  It would be a separate document I'd post to DropBox.  Would have to wait until after we get back from our cruise starting end of next week and getting back in mid-August,. If you're curious -- folks like @BluebonnetTexan for ex -- I'll do it.  Just say the word.

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CharTrav said:

By the way -- I got thinking last night that some of you more geeky types might be interested in the hidden mechanics of this spreadsheet.  It would be a separate document I'd post to DropBox.  Would have to wait until after we get back from our cruise starting end of next week and getting back in mid-August,. If you're curious -- folks like @BluebonnetTexan for ex -- I'll do it.  Just say the word.

Word! 😉

• Like 1