Yellow fever shot - is it risky to get if you are over 60?

We've been holding back booking cruises to places such as the Amazon River because we heard the yellow fever shot can be tough on folks over 60. My DW is 65 and I'm 66 and we were thinking about just getting the shot now since we are healthy and the certificate will be good for 10 years. We're going to ask our doctors their opinion when we see them in June, but thought we'd pose the question here to those folks who got their yellow fever shot for a cruise when they were over 60. Basically, how was the shot and did you have any noticeable reaction to it?

We've been holding back booking cruises to places such as the Amazon River because we heard the yellow fever shot can be tough on folks over 60. My DW is 65 and I'm 66 and we were thinking about just getting the shot now since we are healthy and the certificate will be good for 10 years. We're going to ask our doctors their opinion when we see them in June, but thought we'd pose the question here to those folks who got their yellow fever shot for a cruise when they were over 60. Basically, how was the shot and did you have any noticeable reaction to it?

I would suggest seeing a travel physician.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woodworker&knitter said:

My husband and I were 67 and 66 respectively when we got our yellow fever shots. We had no adverse reaction to it  at all, except the out of pocket expense 

We were in our early 70's when we had the shots. We had no reaction to the shots except the expense. My doctor said that we should get the shots.We had to go to a travel clinic for the vaccine.  I was very happy when we ended up at a Brazilian port that was passing out flyers about yellow fever in the area. Signs were up everywhere. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

Agreed.  Consult your physician on medical issues, NOT the cruise critic forum.

We will. But the thoughts of the CC folks we have heard from have also been very helpful and we're glad we started this thread. For one thing we now know the YF vaccine is now considered a once in a lifetime shot. Prior to today, we didn't. We have also heard that the shot, for the most part, has been no big deal for a lot of folks. 

Before we could get our inoculations at a county health clinic, they contacted our doctor to get approval for us to have them. They could not give them without our doctor's approval.

We had no adverse effects.

I will add one thing.  If you get the yellow fever shot you will get a little yellow folder documenting it.  Guard that folder with your life.  You may need to show it when you board, and it may well be more difficult to replace than a lost passport.

Roy

• Like 3

VERY good advice on treating your record of innoculations/vaccinations (that yellow folder) just as you would your passport.  You may need this for some countries.

A record of ours is also kept by the travel clinic.  If you, as we did, get the Twinrix hep vaccine from a pharmacy, bring in the doc to the travel clinic so that they can update your records in order to effect a proper replacement should you loose the yellow folder.

59 minutes ago, DuffyMcfluffy said:

Apparently if you are allergic to eggs you should not have this shot.

Not necessarily. As indicated in the linked document to post my earlier post (#5), allergies to eggs, egg products, or chicken protein are possible contraindications, but:

For persons with a history of minor reactions to eggs or other vaccine components, consider skin testing to check for reactivity before administering the vaccine.
*If vaccination is essential because of travel to a high-risk area and patient has a history of severe egg sensitivity, or has a positive skin test to the vaccine, refer to an allergist for consideration of desensitization. 

Again, OP should speak to his doctor and not take medical guidance from CC posters, no matter how good their intentions or personal history.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not necessarily. As indicated in the linked document to post my earlier post (#5), allergies to eggs, egg products, or chicken protein are possible contraindications, but:

For persons with a history of minor reactions to eggs or other vaccine components, consider skin testing to check for reactivity before administering the vaccine.
*If vaccination is essential because of travel to a high-risk area and patient has a history of severe egg sensitivity, or has a positive skin test to the vaccine, refer to an allergist for consideration of desensitization. 

Again, OP should speak to his doctor and not take medical guidance from CC posters, no matter how good their intentions or personal history.

As I mentioned earlier, we already have our appointments made. But I'm also glad I started this thread. A lot of good information about this subject has been shared.

• Like 2

My husband and I are both 63 and just got the shots before our South America cruise. We visited Iguazu Falls post-cruise which is in an area where the shots are recommended by the CDC. I too worried about getting the shot at our age, but the travel clinic we visited encouraged us to get the vaccines. No reactions at all except what others mentioned...paying the bill. 

In hindsight (which is always 20-20) I think we would have been fine without the vaccine. We were only at the falls for one day and never saw a mosquito. Still...I'm glad we had the shots and who knows...maybe we will be traveling to an area affected with yellow fever in the future and won't have to make the decision the next time.

• Like 1

We got the yellow fever as well as others from our travel clinic with Kaiser.  Cost...zero!!  They are all about prevention.  We were 67 at the time and had no side effects.  The travel clinic talked to our primary care physician beforehand.  Our Kaiser plan isn't the top tier but still no extra costs.  The shot was required for Devil's Island and other stops on the Amazon when we went.    It was a good call at our age and for how long the shot is good for it was worth it.  But will agree with other posts that it is very important to take the yellow card with you.  Happy travels. 

• Like 1

Got the shot at our Travel Med nurse (after consulting with our physician)...she had heard "the rumors" out there and said in her many years of doing it she had never had anyone have a reaction to it. We had more of a reaction to our Shingles shot recently!  Get it if your doc says OK. We were in our mid-70's when we got it. And also agree to hang on to that Yellow Shot Record!

• Like 1

I agree and speak with your AND a Travel physician or travel nurse.  Then decide.   

In our mid seventies after clearance from medical folks, we decided to get the shot (absolutely NO reaction) as we did not know what travels we have left AND want will happen with Yellow Fever risks in travel.  We knew that this would probably near the end of the shot option (due to age) so decided to cover the next 10 years of travel (if we were fortunate enough to have the opportunities for such travel again.)

DO remember though that you are getting an unbalanced view of experiences. Those with serious side-effect outcomes may not be sailing anymore.

We appreciate everyone's responses and definitely plan on talking with our doctor before making any decision to get the YF shot. Asking this question on CC was just part of our research on the subject and we have been quite pleased with all the comments we have received. 

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We appreciate everyone's responses and definitely plan on talking with our doctor before making any decision to get the YF shot.

If your doctor says you should not have the YF shot, have the doctor give you a letter saying you cannot have the shot due to medical reasons.

You may need that letter in the future if you cruise to countries where the YF shot is required.

• Like 1

Definitely discuss with your PCP.  Travel clinics will administer.  

The only pain was to the wallet. 

We did the Amazon five years ago on another cruise line and no one asked or cared about yellow fever inoculations.  Onboard experts repeatedly said tourists do not get anywhere near the interior jungle areas.  A handful of scientists are allowed in. 

The important document is the Brazilian visa.  The process wasn’t all that bad and has been simplified since we went. 

7 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

Definitely discuss with your PCP.  Travel clinics will administer.  

The only pain was to the wallet. 

We did the Amazon five years ago on another cruise line and no one asked or cared about yellow fever inoculations.  Onboard experts repeatedly said tourists do not get anywhere near the interior jungle areas.  A handful of scientists are allowed in. 

The important document is the Brazilian visa.  The process wasn’t all that bad and has been simplified since we went. 

So when you went on this Amazon cruise five years ago, the cruise line didn't require you to have the vaccine or  waiver before boarding? I'm assuming that is not the case now.